Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Why does she scream when she needs to poop?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 8:34 am
My 6 week old newborn is eating half formula half breast milk. Every time she needs to poop, it's a half hour ordeal. She SCREAMS and seems to be in so much pain, clawing at me, jagged cries up nd down in intensity, and also some straining, but not always. She poops a LOT and it comes out in about 3-4 shifts during that half hour period. The consistency is not thick and pasty or hard, but when it comes out, it doesn’t come out as a splat, but a little more formed and then it looks like pudding. (sorry for tmi!!)

I mentioned this at her one month checkup and the Dr was going to check her stomach at the end but she forgot. Waiting for an appointment now.

This is not my first baby...I have had several other before ever and none of them have ever had this.

Can anyone shed some light?

eta - fixed the age

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 9:08 am
Had this with one of my kids.
The back hole could be very tight and need to be stretched a bit.
Baby was also allergic to milk. I had to go off all dairy while baby nursed.
The two together is what helped my baby. But I would try one at a time to see.

Could the formula be bothering your baby?

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 9:16 am
She sounds constipated. She may need a different formula

amother
Topaz

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 9:24 am
My baby had this, it was terrible. We helped her poop by massaging her stomach and stretching her hole with a Qtip covered in Vaseline.

It stopped when I stopped nursing a few months in.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 9:32 am
How did you know that her hole needed to be stretched? Did the Dr tell you? Were there visible signs of that when she wasn't pooping?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 9:33 am
amother Puce wrote:
She sounds constipated. She may need a different formula

She's on soy bc we keep CY and can't get CY formula where we live. I always understood it to be gentler onto he stomach anyway but we would give her cholov Stam formula if it were better for her

amother
Cornsilk

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 9:34 am
This is definitely something to discuss with pediatrician

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 9:38 am
amother OP wrote:
My week old newborn is eating half formula half breast milk. Every time she needs to poop, it's a half hour ordeal. She SCREAMS and seems to be in so much pain, clawing at me, jagged cries up nd down in intensity, and also some straining, but not always. She poops a LOT and it comes out in about 3-4 shifts during that half hour period. The consistency is not thick and pasty or hard, but when it comes out, it doesn’t come out as a splat, but a little more formed and then it looks like pudding. (sorry for tmi!!)

I mentioned this at her one month checkup and the Dr was going to check her stomach at the end but she forgot. Waiting for an appointment now.

This is not my first baby...I have had several other before ever and none of them have ever had this.

Can anyone shed some light?

Red flag right there. This is a week old baby, she needs to be seen immediately and by a competent pediatrician (NOT a PA or NP or whatever) Dont wait for an appointment, tell the secretary this is a week old baby and you need her seen today.
Hope to hear good news.

emi1812

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 10:02 am
amother OP wrote:
She's on soy bc we keep CY and can't get CY formula where we live. I always understood it to be gentler onto he stomach anyway but we would give her cholov Stam formula if it were better for her

What you’re describing sounds like constipation. Went through this with a few of my kids. Unfortunately soy formula is notorious for being very constipating. Pediatricians usually advise to give 1 oz of pear, prune, or apple juice diluted in 1 oz water for newborns.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 10:06 am
B'Siyata DiShamaya wrote:
Red flag right there. This is a week old baby, she needs to be seen immediately and by a competent pediatrician (NOT a PA or NP or whatever) Dont wait for an appointment, tell the secretary this is a week old baby and you need her seen today.
Hope to hear good news.

aaaah thay was a typo...should've said my 6 week old

naomi2

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 11:09 am
Try exclusively nursing for 2 weeks and hope you see a difference. Trying different formulas is really hard if you have a kid with a sensitive stomach

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 2:16 pm
My babies did better on dairy than soy formula. If you can’t get CY then cholov stam is fine to use for a little baby.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 3:13 pm
She doesn't nurse at all...I have been pumping and can't produce more at this point. (medical issue)

I am fine trying cholov Stam formula

amother
Springgreen

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 3:46 pm
My kids all had stomach issues early on (it's a thing some kids have and most outgrow it by around 12 months), it definitely sounds like one. I'd skip the ped and just ask for a referral to a GI if you can get one quickly. From what I've been told if they're sensitive to dairy there's a good chance they will be sensitive to soy as well so probably will need a formula like Neocate, which a GI should be able to help you get thru insurance.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 4:28 pm
amother OP wrote:
She doesn't nurse at all...I have been pumping and can't produce more at this point. (medical issue)

I am fine trying cholov Stam formula
I would try something like gentlease.

You can request coupons and samples from the manufacturer. https://www.enfamil.com/baby-f.....ples/

amother
Buttercup

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 5:22 pm
My second baby had this, it is apparently normal in many babies. Called infant dyschezia (https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/24109-dyschezia). And she was exclusively breastfeeding, it wasn't related to what she was eating. There isn't much to do, but they outgrow it.

Still important to rule out anything else with the doctor of course, but it doesn't necessarily mean there is a problem, so go back to the doctor just to check and best not to try anything yourself first.

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 5:25 pm
amother OP wrote:

Soy formula is actually harder on the stomach. It's very possible its constipation.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 6:43 pm
amother Buttercup wrote:
My second baby had this, it is apparently normal in many babies. Called infant dyschezia (https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/24109-dyschezia). And she was exclusively breastfeeding, it wasn't related to what she was eating. There isn't much to do, but they outgrow it.

Still important to rule out anything else with the doctor of course, but it doesn't necessarily mean there is a problem, so go back to the doctor just to check and best not to try anything yourself first.

This sounds exactly like her...except that in this article it says they usually figure it out in a week or two.

CPenzias

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 7:11 pm
My sil used this product that's made by the same company that makes the nose farida thing. (My baby is 10 years old so idk lol) but it helped. You put Vaseline on it and put it in the little tushy to stimulate the baby to poop. Search on Amazon

CPenzias

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 7:14 pm
This is it!
Frida Baby Windi Gas and Colic Reliever for Babies (10 Count)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics