Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Toddler hates to be diapered (or get dressed)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 6:55 pm
My toddler just turned 2 and he has a meltdown every time I need to change his diaper. I don't think he's ready to be toilet trained and I hate to "force" him but I can't either let him sit in his poop.

He also doesn't like to get dressed and it takes forever to get him dressed because he just doesn't want and it's not something I force because it's different then a dirty diaper but it's so frustrating! How can I make things better while being gentle with him?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 6:55 pm
My one year old is the same way about diaper changes. I just hold her down and she cries. Toys don’t distract her.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 7:07 pm
Your toddler and every other toddler in the world . Try to distract by giving them interesting to hold. Maybe a pocket book chain or something like that .

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Aug 23 2023, 7:09 pm
You can try giving a sort of warning, especially if he's in the middle of something, like "First this will happen" or "You can do this one more thing and then..." If you're comfortable doing so, you can give an option between a lying down change and a standing change. You can also try to invite his cooperation during the process in different ways.

Playfulness can help too--I know I've chased my toddler down pretending to be a monster wanting to eat her.

oakandfig19

Post Fri, Aug 25 2023, 10:08 am
My toddler is the same way and it’s so hard. I haven’t really found a solution. Sometimes I’ll tell him he needs some time out so I’ll leave the room and close the door for a few minutes which helps him calm down. But often I have to hold him down while I change and dress him so he’s not late to daycare and I feel terrible. I have noticed on mornings where we spend more time together he cooperates better but he tends to sleep in late so that’s not often. He’s hard at bedtime too but it’s less stressful because I’m not as rushed. If anyone else has any tips I’d love to hear.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics