Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Did you send your baby with a video camera?
1  2  Next

Did you send your baby with a video camera?
yes  
 8%  [ 6 ]
no  
 91%  [ 63 ]
Total Votes : 69

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 5:30 am
I used to be a babysitter. I always wondered if a parent was sending a video or recording device in their diaper bags. Not that I had anything to hide but I've heard of it and was wondering how common it really was. Care to way in? If not, do you think it's morally bad to send one? I totally get where a parent would be coming from if they did send...

amother
Skyblue

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 5:36 am
What can a camera record inside a bag?

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 5:44 am
What are you trying to find out? Who are you in the story?

amother
Jasmine

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 5:50 am
I’ve wish I could but would never because that’s so wrong and invasive. I know people who like hosting their baby’s babysitting group in their house so that they can put up cameras (that they tell the babysitter about before) and check on their child. Bringing a camera in to a babysitter a house is creepy and not right.

It’s so scary though to drop off an innocent baby who doesn’t have the ability to tell us if they’re being abandoned all day, or being chav vshalom mistreated or screamed at. I breathe easier when my babies get old enough to tell me about their day.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 5:53 am
amother Pewter wrote:
What are you trying to find out? Who are you in the story?

I used to be a babysitter (did you read my post?). I'm also a mother so I understand the other side.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 5:56 am
amother OP wrote:
I used to be a babysitter (did you read my post?). I'm also a mother so I understand the other side.

Yes I did.
Who is the "other" side to you? What's your perspective?

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 6:00 am
If anyone here did can they explain how they did it and what they sent?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 6:01 am
I used to be a babysitter. I understand the mother's side of wanting to know what is going on during babysitting hours. I guess I didn't really want to know while babysitting, but now that I'm not I wonder if it really does happen.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 6:06 am
amother OP wrote:
I used to be a babysitter. I understand the mother's side of wanting to know what is going on during babysitting hours. I guess I didn't really want to know while babysitting, but now that I'm not I wonder if it really does happen.

You understand her wanting to know? Or her sending?
Makes sense that in the moment you would want to know....
What is it that you want to know now?
I can guarantee that most don't send lol

Rappel

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 6:51 am
I never sent, but

I think it should be mandatory for childcare institutions

amother
Oldlace

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 6:53 am
Whoever wrote yes, please can you explain!!

Soo curious!!

amother
Nemesia

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 6:54 am
If you have eyes in your home can you login from your phone?

amother
Wallflower

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 7:21 pm
I work in daycare- theres cameras in every classroom with audio, hallway, and outdoors.

Highstrung

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 7:25 pm
I had a coworker who had a nanny/babysitter at her home . She logged into her cameras through her work computer and we were all able to see what the nanny was doing . Sometimes she would call us over to see. One time the nanny was curiously looking through her mail.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 8:56 pm
I never have and hope I never have to but if I’d be a teeny bit concerned first thing I’d do is send a recorder along to see if I can understand a bit more about what’s going on if the morahs aren’t being helpful.

amother
Nemesia

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 8:58 pm
Highstrung wrote:
I had a coworker who had a nanny/babysitter at her home . She logged into her cameras through her work computer and we were all able to see what the nanny was doing . Sometimes she would call us over to see. One time the nanny was curiously looking through her mail.

Was the nanny aware?
They should be told imo

amother
Poinsettia

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 9:24 pm
I've always wished I had the guts to do this for a school age child.

Marybella

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 9:58 pm
I'm working in a daycare- we have cameras all over and it feels great. I also have a nanny at home and we have cameras and are checking here and there (besides, I trust her 100% since we know each other for a while).
Sending a child in with a recording device should be discussed prior to. It is just wrong to send and not to disclose (why would you send to someone you don't trust?). Also, as a Morah, I don't want to be recorded without my consent (maybe I'm taking too many coffee breaks or whatever, a person who is looking to find faulty behaviors, will always have something bad to say).

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Aug 25 2023, 11:51 am
I've sent my toddler with a dice Keychain spy camera. I showed them that a light goes on when they press the button. So they would press it randomly throughout the day.

It records for up to a half hour and then gets written over.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 12:31 am
It's such an invasion of privacy to send along a recorder or camera to a babysitter's house! What if a different parent tells the babysitter private medical or family information that gets recorded? What if the babysitter gets a confidential medical phone call during work?
It's also illegal in many states in the US to secretly tape someone without their consent. (Especially if you are not in the recording, as some states allow recording as long as one of the parties know they are being recorded).

The rule I heard from Gavin de Becker (author of The Gift of Fear): trust your gut. If something is giving you the feeling that you should record, trust your gut and switch child care providers. Why wait til you "catch" something? At that point it's too late.

(Disclaimer: I'm not a babysitter, I just like to shmooze with my babysitter at pick up and would be horrified at being recorded.)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics