Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
All food in Israel is kosher?
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Daisy

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 9:04 am
amother Hotpink wrote:
Never heard this. Also yeshivish. We don’t hold by heter mechira and when we’re in Israel we get produce from outside of Israel. It could be that if asked hypothetically heter mechira could be better but definitely not ideal. Heter mechira is not held by mainstream yeshivish rabbanim, or so I thought. The hechshers we use don’t hold by heter mechira, both in Israel and out. Maybe there was a specific situation but I don’t think this is the norm.

Yes I also found that strange.

We do eat yevul nochri.

But, none of the charedi hechsherim hold of heter mechira so I'm not sure who she follows who says it's better.

(I have nothing against frum yidden going according to their Rav to eat heter mechira, I understand there are those who do. But I haven't yet heard of any charedi/yeshivish rav who allows it.)

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 10:01 am
amother Hotpink wrote:
Never heard this. Also yeshivish. We don’t hold by heter mechira and when we’re in Israel we get produce from outside of Israel. It could be that if asked hypothetically heter mechira could be better but definitely not ideal. Heter mechira is not held by mainstream yeshivish rabbanim, or so I thought. The hechshers we use don’t hold by heter mechira, both in Israel and out. Maybe there was a specific situation but I don’t think this is the norm.

Many dati leumi hold heter mechira is ideal. As I said rabbanut mehadrin in efrat and in other places with large amounts of dati leumi jews use heter mechira while most rabbanut mehadrins do not.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 10:02 am
amother Daisy wrote:
The issue isn't only shmitta. Truma and maser is a huge issue always. And you need hasgacha you can rely on for that. Someone who doesn't eat rabanut, wouldn't eat juice with a rabanut-only hechsher.

Which is weird the caterer had it. Because the rabbanut mehadrins often don't even allow all mehadrin products from my experience.

amother
Dahlia

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 12:22 pm
amother Milk wrote:
yes!! yes! We hold that heter michira is better than supporting non jews, Arabs in particular. That's an issur toם - "Lo Ticahnem" - (דברים פרק ז' לא תחנם ). + We're Yishivish

Could it be in yeshivish you mean דתי לאומי תורני?

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 12:35 pm
Hope this doesn’t come out wrong.
Isn’t heter mechira when the land is sold to a [gentile] and returned after shemitah, like selling chametz? If you believe this, then you believe the land isn’t owned by a Jew, which is the same (to you) as לא תחנם.
I think what I learned is problematic is when, for example, on Pesach someone says oh this is chometz we “sold” to a [gentile] but you know it’s really mine. Wouldn’t the same thing apply to heter mechira? By believing that heter mechira is really owned by a Jew on land in EY, it’s quite problematic and a major halachic issue for you to say this and to eat the food. I think in order for this to work you have to believe and know and internalize that the land was sold to a [gentile], which in itself is a major major major halachic problem. Like selling chometz. When you sell chometz, it isn’t yours. Except selling land in EY to someone who isn’t Jewish a much more halachic issue than selling chometz to a [gentile].
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions