Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Sternberg spinoff-memories!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 11:21 pm
amother Bronze wrote:
Some more memories that come to mind, free association style:

The tire playground

The tuna can (built around 2006)

Spies and smugglers

A random little zip line in the woods near the spies and smugglers trail

Making sweatshirts in Heller

Dancing with Mishkon campers on Shabbos

There used to be a program for girls coming from public school. Does anyone remember what it was called?

Why did we call shiur “shay-er”?

I recently talked to my child about not flashing a light near animals because they get scared and told her about not being allowed to use flash when taking pictures at the Sternberg zoo.

There was a goat that kept escaping one year.

So many amazing late nights playing cards, singing and making up songs, setting things on fire.

My first year teaching (2000-01), I taught a girl who was part of that mechina program, or wtvr it was called, at sternberg! (I was no longer attending the camp) she was so proud of learning reading, receiving a Hebrew name....
Btw other calls so call or shay-er
Not sure why!!

amother
Canary

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 11:21 pm
amother Lightpink wrote:
The zoo?? That sounds so fun!!
Anyone remember the arts and crafts room all the way at the end of the baseball field?

Ha. This is probably where the zoo room was. At the end of the baseball field - like at the front corner of the camp.

amother
Ballota

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 11:24 pm
Rappel wrote:
Y'all are making me so nostalgic for camp it's crazy!

I was a zookeeper, and I was the head of the zoo therapy program the last year before it was closed.

If I would go back to the US for anything, it would be to teach campers at Sternberg. Rabbi Greenwald, a"h, created a haven there for every Jewish girl. He taught me what chessed really means.

Rabbi Greenwald offered me the zoo therapy job because he knew I used to do that in a psychiatric hospital but I had little kids and could commit to staying up in Sternberg the whole summer.
I was so disappointed because I would have loved to have gone back as a worker after being a camper when younger.
How I miss Rabbi Greenwald.

amother
Sand

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 11:25 pm
Did anyone mention this on the songs thread?

“Sternberg our home
We owe it to you
You’ve helped us
Become who we are.
You taught us true friendship
You guided us through
Sternberg
We all say thank you.”

This song is so true. It really expresses what Sternberg means to me.

I’m curious - how many girls total went to Sternberg from beginning to the present?

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 11:26 pm
amother Canary wrote:
Ha. This is probably where the zoo room was. At the end of the baseball field - like at the front corner of the camp.

The arts and crafts room was past the zoo

amother
Canary

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 2:51 pm
amother Bronze wrote:

Why can’t I picture this? I was in camp for 6 years.

amother
Lightpink

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 3:21 pm
amother Canary wrote:
Why can’t I picture this? I was in camp for 6 years.

It was run by Bassy Wolf. Maybe they stopped using the room? It was rather small and stuffy. This was in the 80’s.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 3:42 pm
amother Dodgerblue wrote:
What was the Heller accident?
Was in Sternberg for 7 years and never heard of it...

Till this day over 35 years later if you were there you can't really talk or write about it.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 3:45 pm
The infirmary is still in the same place!
Was the nurse named Nina?
And if you needed to take meds (I am sure I had strep or an ear infection at least once) , you had to go there to take them.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 4:07 pm
the world's best mom wrote:
I said a Shrprintza Shprintza Shprintza Hitzel, Said a Shrprintza Shprintza Shprintza Hitzel.

Pia's stories were the best.

I was a waitress the year the stopped using waitress porch and I was so disappointed not to get to sleep there! We slept where ADs had been until then.

After fast days, Rabbi Greenwald used to tell everyone to put down their food and count to ten before continuing their meal.

I canoed down the Delaware 3 times- twice in Pioneers and once in Heller.

I was an OKA (outside kitchen aid) and being that there wasn't enough room waitress porch we slept in a bunk near Mishkon - the main problem is that was pretty secluded and we were petrified of bears and we would actually put a bunk bed against the door at night because we were so scared a bear would get in. We would also keep spare poles from the bunk beds near our bed to protect ourselves. OKAs actually got paid $75!!! We also had names for everything in the kitchen - we called the tomato machine "Harry" We also date the hard boiled eggs to see how many days they would come back. The girls our bunk were lots of fun which was really great cause I think we missed out some of the waitress activities because we were far out.

I canoed down the Delaware many times - I think about 10 times. I went twice each summer - 2nd and 3rd trips and I was Pioneers for 3 years. I also took lifeguarding so I went down as I lifeguard a couple of times. Sadly I missed Heller year cause the workshop was filled up. I landed up in the workshops that had space left like dance which was torture for me coming from Pioneers. I also went with friends one summer after HS was a ton of fun!

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 4:12 pm
amother Bronze wrote:

And one of Rabbi Greenwalds daughters, Basi Wolf ran it for many years. Remember appliques - we stuffed felt into a shape and sewed it up. We'd make those adorable faces with pieces of stocking and stuff them and decorated them with little wire glasses and curly hair.

amother
Canary

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 4:12 pm
amother Lightpink wrote:
It was run by Bassy Wolf. Maybe they stopped using the room? It was rather small and stuffy. This was in the 80’s.

Maybe because I only came in Pioneers and even as staff only worked in pioneers! She did it for the younger kids?

amother
Ballota

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 4:18 pm
In the old camp Sternberg who remembers the nurse putting out tea with honey for everyone who had a "sore throat".

amother
Canary

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 4:19 pm
Is anyone still there from 2000-2006 era?

I would love to go back. That place shaped me.

Wolfsbane

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 4:21 pm
amother Canary wrote:
Maybe because I only came in Pioneers and even as staff only worked in pioneers! She did it for the younger kids?

Yeah, it was only for campus.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 4:22 pm
amother Ballota wrote:
In the old camp Sternberg who remembers the nurse putting out tea with honey for everyone who had a "sore throat".

Not me, what year was that?

amother
Lightpink

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 4:47 pm
BrachaVHatzlocha wrote:
The infirmary is still in the same place!
Was the nurse named Nina?
And if you needed to take meds (I am sure I had strep or an ear infection at least once) , you had to go there to take them.

Yea, it was Nina. I worked in the infirmary one summer!

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 6:09 pm
amother Lightpink wrote:
Yea, it was Nina. I worked in the infirmary one summer!

One year there was a Russian doctor there and I had a really bad case of strep and my lymph nodes were really swollen and he was convinced I had MUMPS and wanted to put me in quarantine. B"H he called my awesome Russian pediatrician and she had a long talk with him in Russian and convinced him that I was truly immunized. Eventually they agreed to take me to a well known Brooklyn dr who was upstate and she put me on strong course of antiobiotics.

amother
Lightpink

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 6:11 pm
amother Goldenrod wrote:
One year there was a Russian doctor there and I had a really bad case of strep and my lymph nodes were really swollen and he was convinced I had MUMPS and wanted to put me in quarantine. B"H he called my awesome Russian pediatrician had a long talk with him in Russian and convinced him that I was truly immunized. Eventually they agreed to take me to a well known Brooklyn dr who was upstate and she put me on strong course of antiobiotics.

Wow, that sounds bad!
In my days the camp dr. was Dr. Jakobowitz from Baltimore…

amother
DarkOrange

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 6:13 pm
I think the nurse in my time was called Milky
Page 6 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics