Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Sternberg spinoff-memories!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Cappuccino

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 9:08 pm
amother Whitewash wrote:

There was an activity one day where each girl got a ribbon. You could claim someone else's ribbon if you got them to say "no". By the end of the day, a few girls had really long chains of ribbons.

Sounds of the dining room - feet pounding as bunks were allowed in after saying their rhyme, wooden frame doors creaking open and slamming shut, pounding the tables during singing and cheering.

These two really brought back memories for me! I totally forgot about the ribbon game. It was so much fun!

Also, someone mentioned the inclusion before it was a thing. There was a girl with me in Heller who I became friendly with. I won't go into details, but it was very obvious that something was up with her. At that time, I had no idea what special needs were or why she had these behaviors, but I felt badly for her and also, I think, saw that deep down she was such a nice girl who deserved to have a friend that could see past those behaviors. I can't say I became best friends with her, but I really tried to spend time with her and bring her into conversations with the other girls. At the end of the summer, we exchanged addresses so we could keep in touch. I think it was how she wrote her letters that made it even more obvious that something was up, but we did keep in touch for a while. I still wonder how she's doing today.

It was inclusion without anyone saying "Please include this girl, she's different from you." In some ways, it meant that it would be less likely to work. But if it did work, it made for a much more authentic relationship...

Go Sternberg!

amother
Cappuccino

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 10:50 pm
Are you alright are you okay? (From Mrs. Tropper in the Heller CPR class)

The time that the water didn't work and they brought tanker trucks onto campus for DAYS and we showered outside in the rain in our bathing suits?

Does anyone remember that the hardest part of caving was called "The Nostril"?

All the great lashing projects around pioneers...People built benches, a swing, a rope that you could use to swing across the little stream...

Those stumps that we used as chairs.

Roasting challah dough wrapped around sticks.

The pioneering challenge to get over the "barbed wire fence" (really a rope wrapped really high around trees) as a team?

Walking to the bathroom through the woods in the middle of the night?

Can you guess which year I liked the best?

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 11:00 pm
amother OP wrote:
Was anyone in camp the year they did that holocaust experience on Tisha bav. Was so freaky. I don’t think they ever did it again.

Yup I remember some girls were really traumatized

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 4:02 am
amother Springgreen wrote:
Yes! In the dining room! And didn't they also say that they were going to be changing the name of the camp? Or am I confusing it with a different color war break out?

That was the Irwin Muller breakout, it was a year or two later

amother
Poinsettia

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 4:35 am
I loved Pias stories Friday nights and Kabals Shabbos in the Shabbos Shul.
remember that night activity where you won "huge prizes" like a ride in the golf cart or a call home?
the smell of pine and nature when you got off the bus and arrived was just the best.

eezee

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 7:37 pm
amother Steelblue wrote:
I'm also early 50's. Was in Heller in 85 and ADs in 84. We definitely had trips. We went to something called Ring homestead. To this day I still put one hand in front of my face and one in front of my body and take big steps when walking in a dark room at night because that's how Mr Ring taught us to walk when we went on a night hike. I also remember going to Woodbourne in Heller and being told certain places were off limits and you would get thrown out of camp if you went. We went to some craft store to buy letters to iron on our sweatshirts.
And I definitely snuck calls during camp. I used to go to Birch Lodge during supper so no one would be around Very Happy

And I canoed down the Delaware in Heller because I did the canoeing workshop

Early 20's

I also went to ring homestead! I guess that trip is a classic!

eezee

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 7:39 pm
amother Lightpink wrote:
Birch lodge!!!! Ahhh…
Waitress porch
AD’s
What was the place called where the younger campers davened during the week?

Campus campers daven in the redwood, shabbos in the shabbos shul
pioneers daven in the pole building

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 7:43 pm
BrachaVHatzlocha wrote:
Yes, I remember cooking the egg in the bread (or eating it).
How about tushy bopping?? Who remembers that?

Learning how to canoe for weeks til we could go on our trip down the Delaware

🎶Banging on a trash can
tushy bop bop
tushy bop bop 🎶

eezee

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 7:49 pm
amother Goldenrod wrote:
Packing List
***3 Shabbos dresses
then at the bottom
***Shabbos at camp is not a fashion show. Please do not send overly flashy dresses with your daughter.

Do they still write this??

Canteen - suggest amount $3 - $1 per week - we would get a list I think on Wednesday to choose what we want to buy for Thursday - hike day. I think a can of soda was 50 cents or less and potato chips 25 cents. There was an also a choice of some chocolate bars none which were CY (80s) and I was of the only kids in camp that kept CY. I would never manage to even spend my $3!! When we were in pioneers we'd give our counselor money to buy us stuff from canteen and when they'd go to Woodbourne.

yes, they still write about shabbos clothes! Sternberg is the best!

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 7:57 pm
amother Goldenrod wrote:
They actually did some Nazi/Holocaust activity sometime in the late 80's in Heller trying to get the girls to feel like what it felt to be in a concentration camp and it was a disaster...

I spent 10 years in camp, saddest memory was the tragic Heller accident in 1986. The pall of grief that descended over camp that Friday and Shabbos was horrific.

What was the Heller accident?
Was in Sternberg for 7 years and never heard of it...

amother
Lightpink

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 8:00 pm
amother Dodgerblue wrote:
What was the Heller accident?
Was in Sternberg for 7 years and never heard of it...

Tragic
Something no one wants to remember.
A van flipped over.
One very special girl was niftar.
Others were hurt very badly.
One girl broke her neck and had multiple surgeries.

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 8:18 pm
I said a Shrprintza Shprintza Shprintza Hitzel, Said a Shrprintza Shprintza Shprintza Hitzel.

Pia's stories were the best.

I was a waitress the year the stopped using waitress porch and I was so disappointed not to get to sleep there! We slept where ADs had been until then.

After fast days, Rabbi Greenwald used to tell everyone to put down their food and count to ten before continuing their meal.

I canoed down the Delaware 3 times- twice in Pioneers and once in Heller.

amother
Lightpink

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 10:00 pm
the world's best mom wrote:
I said a Shrprintza Shprintza Shprintza Hitzel, Said a Shrprintza Shprintza Shprintza Hitzel.

Pia's stories were the best.

I was a waitress the year the stopped using waitress porch and I was so disappointed not to get to sleep there! We slept where ADs had been until then.

After fast days, Rabbi Greenwald used to tell everyone to put down their food and count to ten before continuing their meal.

I canoed down the Delaware 3 times- twice in Pioneers and once in Heller.

I’m from the 80’s so I didn’t know they stopped using the waitress porch. What did they do with all those rooms?
Btw- don’t feel so bad. Those rooms were so hot and stuffy. AD bunks were nicer!

amother
Canary

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 10:10 pm
amother Lightpink wrote:
I’m from the 80’s so I didn’t know they stopped using the waitress porch. What did they do with all those rooms?
Btw- don’t feel so bad. Those rooms were so hot and stuffy. AD bunks were nicer!

What are ADs? When I was waitress age we slept in the area of bunks like on the right of heller past the day camp room and laundry rooms maybe? Like I that corner of camp. Prob 2001 or 2002.

What is “the waitress porch”?

Rappel

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 10:29 pm
Y'all are making me so nostalgic for camp it's crazy!

I was a zookeeper, and I was the head of the zoo therapy program the last year before it was closed.

If I would go back to the US for anything, it would be to teach campers at Sternberg. Rabbi Greenwald, a"h, created a haven there for every Jewish girl. He taught me what chessed really means.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 10:35 pm
Rappel wrote:
Y'all are making me so nostalgic for camp it's crazy!

I was a zookeeper, and I was the head of the zoo therapy program the last year before it was closed.

If I would go back to the US for anything, it would be to teach campers at Sternberg. Rabbi Greenwald, a"h, created a haven there for every Jewish girl. He taught me what chessed really means.

I have a friend who worked in the zoo! How many years was it open? I only recall it like one year, probably late 90s,.probably my last summer there

amother
Feverfew

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 10:39 pm
This is such a fun trip down memory lane!
Does anyone else remember the shabbos the llama escaped from the zoo?
Or the 27 hike that got lost and needed to radio for help and got picked up by Rabbi Greenwald?

amother
Lightpink

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 10:48 pm
The zoo?? That sounds so fun!!
Anyone remember the arts and crafts room all the way at the end of the baseball field?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 10:55 pm
amother Lightpink wrote:
The zoo?? That sounds so fun!!
Anyone remember the arts and crafts room all the way at the end of the baseball field?

Yes! I made a doll of some kind in juniors.
Thank you all for contributing. I can almost tangibly feel camp in my senses.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 11:15 pm
Some more memories that come to mind, free association style:

The tire playground

The tuna can (built around 2006)

Spies and smugglers

A random little zip line in the woods near the spies and smugglers trail

Making sweatshirts in Heller

Dancing with Mishkon campers on Shabbos

There used to be a program for girls coming from public school. Does anyone remember what it was called?

Why did we call shiur “shay-er”?

I recently talked to my child about not flashing a light near animals because they get scared and told her about not being allowed to use flash when taking pictures at the Sternberg zoo.

There was a goat that kept escaping one year.

So many amazing late nights playing cards, singing and making up songs, setting things on fire.
Page 5 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics