Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Sternberg spinoff-memories!
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 10:08 pm
I’m the op if the Sterneberg song thread. Let’s share our memories and maybe your age for Refrence!
Mid thirties:
-Indian cliff hike was anyone there when the hornets nest erupted and we all got stung?!
- sleeping in those Lean-tos (spelling?)
- anyone zoche to go on the 27 mile hike lol??
-kokosh cake and milk on shabbos morning literally heaven
- shabbos zemiros- all those banging in the table motions
- that one night evey summer when we had “restaurant” food and u could choose a hamburger or hotdog and all the waitresses dressed up with foil crowns and sectors or something- I can’t remember what it was called..
- remebwr how the key girls were the coolest jobs until we realized they were just shleppers lol

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 10:20 pm
High 20s.

By my time the 27 mile hike was the stuff of legends, but they didn’t do it anymore.

They still had the restaurant night every summer.

Incampus they would take us on hikes part-way around the lake at least once a summer. Does anyone else remember going all the way around? I think I was in Sophies.

Sandwiches or cookout for lunch on Thursday even when there was no trip.

Key girls were still cool. But I was an IKA so I wasn’t jealous about their kitchen access.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 10:26 pm
I was telling my kids all about the 27 mile hike and how I was chosen to go! They couldn’t believe their tired non adventurous mother was able to handle that lol.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 10:28 pm
50s
In the days before camp trips, the highlight was the night the dining room was turned into a roller rink.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 10:29 pm
amother Cerise wrote:
50s
In the days before camp trips, the highlight was the night the dining room was turned into a roller rink.

The only trips we ever had were hikes! I remember thinking how weird to go to an actual trip in camp

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 10:29 pm
amother Cerise wrote:
50s

That is so cool!

amother
Seablue

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 10:30 pm
Oh yay I was thinking to start a Sternberg thread!
Anyone here from older pioneers 2009 remember this song- “E J S 2209 a Honda! Oh yeah!”

What about “T4, we’re whoopnackers!”

newmother

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 10:30 pm
They stopped 27?
quote="amother Bronze"]High 20s.

By my time the 27 mile hike was the stuff of legends, but they didn’t do it anymore.

They still had the restaurant night every summer.

Incampus they would take us on hikes part-way around the lake at least once a summer. Does anyone else remember going all the way around? I think I was in Sophies.

Sandwiches or cookout for lunch on Thursday even when there was no trip.

Key girls were still cool. But I was an IKA so I wasn’t jealous about their kitchen access.[/quote]

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 10:32 pm
amother OP wrote:
The only trips we ever had were hikes! I remember thinking how weird to go to an actual trip in camp

It was still mostly hikes. There was usually one other trip per half, like to the roller rink. juniors went to Dorney Park. Heller had a lot more trips. As I got older they started adding more trips, mostly to Walmart.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 10:33 pm
early 40's

my first or second year, we also had a bee bite hike! but it was when we were going around the lake.

shabbos chain to the dining room!

tisha b'av was so sad in sternberg Sad

play!!! with mrs rakove! "Up up & away, it's a shabbos play!"

cpr with mrs. tropper!

when I was in pioneers, it rained so much after our delaware trip they were worried about flooding! at first it was optional to return back to the camp, but by later in the night, those of us left didn't have a choice....

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 10:35 pm
& we were NEVER allowed to make phone calls as campers! I remember a friend called her mother @ dorney park and I was sooooo nervous!
when I returned as a counselor, I couldn't believe the girls sneaked calls!!!

whoever went as staff... remember a ride to white lake for your day off? Catching a bus from there?

chipping in for your counselor's personalized sweatshirts from woodbourne?

Cookiegirl

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 10:42 pm
Early 50's...first year in the Narrowsburg Campus...before they managed to paint over all the graffiti in the bathrooms...was quite educational 😉

Pia Weinstein telling stories...

Pioneer shower house, Shiur in the lean-to's, Aqua show at the lake. We had zero trips off campus, even in Heller the year I went.

Kokosh and milk on Shabbos is a classic, as was the farewell banquet...

amother
Steelblue

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 10:48 pm
I'm also early 50's. Was in Heller in 85 and ADs in 84. We definitely had trips. We went to something called Ring homestead. To this day I still put one hand in front of my face and one in front of my body and take big steps when walking in a dark room at night because that's how Mr Ring taught us to walk when we went on a night hike. I also remember going to Woodbourne in Heller and being told certain places were off limits and you would get thrown out of camp if you went. We went to some craft store to buy letters to iron on our sweatshirts.
And I definitely snuck calls during camp. I used to go to Birch Lodge during supper so no one would be around Very Happy

And I canoed down the Delaware in Heller because I did the canoeing workshop

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 10:51 pm
Haha I was a key girl and I liked it! Early 40s…

amother
Lightpink

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 10:55 pm
amother Cerise wrote:
50s

That is a good memory!!
Pia Weinstein… yocheved Shiff for a few years, the camp nurse Nina mermelstein, the Greenwalds and the very old greenwald grandfather, Bassy wolf, major play …
Shabbos shul
Line up with cheers for meals
Canteen that camper’s could only go to on visiting day
Days off van to white lake
Banquet last night of camp
We’re going on a trip… a great exciting trip
When you’re in the greatest place…. Smiles brighten up your face…
You are my sunshine ☀️

amother
Lightpink

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 10:58 pm
amother Steelblue wrote:
I'm also early 50's. Was in Heller in 85 and ADs in 84. We definitely had trips. We went to something called Ring homestead. To this day I still put one hand in front of my face and one in front of my body and take big steps when walking in a dark room at night because that's how Mr Ring taught us to walk when we went on a night hike. I also remember going to Woodbourne in Heller and being told certain places were off limits and you would get thrown out of camp if you went. We went to some craft store to buy letters to iron on our sweatshirts.
And I definitely snuck calls during camp. I used to go to Birch Lodge during supper so no one would be around Very Happy

And I canoed down the Delaware in Heller because I did the canoeing workshop

Birch lodge!!!! Ahhh…
Waitress porch
AD’s
What was the place called where the younger campers davened during the week?

amother
Lightpink

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 11:00 pm
Cookiegirl wrote:
Early 50's...first year in the Narrowsburg Campus...before they managed to paint over all the graffiti in the bathrooms...was quite educational 😉

Pia Weinstein telling stories...

Pioneer shower house, Shiur in the lean-to's, Aqua show at the lake. We had zero trips off campus, even in Heller the year I went.

Kokosh and milk on Shabbos is a classic, as was the farewell banquet...

Do you remember the nature walks? I think an ant was 5 points, spider 10 points…

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 11:20 pm
The cookie game for night activity after visiting day.

amother
Seablue

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 11:23 pm
I remember the shabbos chain.
And the kokosh cake is legendary.
Italian ices after shabbos day seudah.
Federation cookies.
Campfire cookouts using a metal bed frame over the fire to cook the food.
Swinging from the rafters in juniors.
Waking up first night of camp in older pioneers to find a raccoon in the tent.

amother
Seablue

Post Thu, Aug 24 2023, 11:24 pm
amother Lightpink wrote:
Birch lodge!!!! Ahhh…
Waitress porch
AD’s
What was the place called where the younger campers davened during the week?

Was that the Redwood
Page 1 of 8   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics