Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Anticipating Moshiach S/O debate thread

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Fri, Aug 25 2023, 1:26 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Rabbi Lopiansky wrote about this in Mishpacha. There have been many moments in history when it seemed imminent. It's important not to get Moshiach fatigue.

I hate this article! The line "Moshiach is not coming" actually got published? Actual vomit. Its straight up heresy as per the Halachic ruling of the Rambam.

If I see some dumb calculation (not supposed to be made) it's at best confirmation bias to me. I know Moshiach is imminent and your chesbon seems to confirm that.

It's specifically the vulnerability for disappointment that comes from expecting Moshiachs complete revelation in this world right now that MERITS the redemption.

We are on the cusp of the Geula haamitis vehashleima. It's an incredible time. Embrace it.

Kraizy

Post Fri, Aug 25 2023, 12:13 pm
I would say we need to anticipate Moshiach regardless if we are going through a great struggle or not.

Instead of saying this year has been crazy--Moshiach must be coming, we can say we want Moshiach to be coming.

Moshiach might arrive on a very calm day.
Pain might make us wish for Moshiach stronger, but it won't bring it faster. Prayer will.

Cheiny

Post Fri, Aug 25 2023, 12:37 pm
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:
I hate this article! The line "Moshiach is not coming" actually got published? Actual vomit. Its straight up heresy as per the Halachic ruling of the Rambam.

If I see some dumb calculation (not supposed to be made) it's at best confirmation bias to me. I know Moshiach is imminent and your chesbon seems to confirm that.

It's specifically the vulnerability for disappointment that comes from expecting Moshiachs complete revelation in this world right now that MERITS the redemption.

We are on the cusp of the Geula haamitis vehashleima. It's an incredible time. Embrace it.

This is a complicated issue.

Of course we’re taught from a young age that we are to believe he can come at any moment and indeed he can.

But saying it’s “imminent” immediately, or that this or that event is “proof” he’s coming right now can be dangerous.

During covid when so many people thought it must be Moshiach was coming and everyone was saying so, some people became despondent and had crises of faith when it unfortunately turned out he didn’t come.

So I think people have to be careful about making these predictions or giving timelines because no one can possibly know, and getting vulnerable people’s hopes up with assurances that ‘he’s going to be here any minute now,’ can really be harmful to their emunah and beliefs.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Fri, Aug 25 2023, 12:44 pm
Yes we're not supposed to make predictions.

zaq

Post Fri, Aug 25 2023, 12:46 pm
Nobody said Mashiach is not coming. It's important not to be obsessed with his coming and not to conclude that things are so bad that he must be coming today. We hope, but we must keep in mind that the time may still not be right. Terrible things happen when people decide that he must be coming by a certain date, and then he doesn't show.

I've been on this earth long enough to have heard several editions of predictions, attributed to various gedolim. Not that I ever lent any credence to any of them, but now I don't even bother listening to the calculations. He'll be here when he gets here, in this lifetime or another. Don't worry about it.

scruffy

Post Fri, Aug 25 2023, 12:46 pm
I think we're supposed to believe that Mashiach CAN come at any moment if we merit it, not that he WILL come at a specific moment.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Fri, Aug 25 2023, 12:47 pm
What I liked about COVID was seeing how naturally dramatic change can happen to everyone in seconds. It demonstrated how quickly some necessary changes in our lives can take place.

Lita

Post Fri, Aug 25 2023, 12:54 pm
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:
Yes we're not supposed to make predictions.

Well the great Rav Berland is predicting that Moshiach is coming this 10 Elul.
You can add that to his many grand predictions that have come and gone..

Cheiny

Post Fri, Aug 25 2023, 12:57 pm
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:
What I liked about COVID was seeing how naturally dramatic change can happen to everyone in seconds. It demonstrated how quickly some necessary changes in our lives can take place.

But isn’t it amazing how quickly everyone went back to their “normal” lives and have all but forgotten what that time was like? Unfortunately most of the positive changes didn’t hold.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Fri, Aug 25 2023, 1:03 pm
There's an importance to being obsessed with Moshiach. We're far passed the stage of just hoping and davening for Geula. We're at a time when it's our responsibility להביא לימות המשיח to BRING Moshiach.

Prayer is a great start but there's many more things to do.
- Education about what Geula looks like. This is important as it helps to give a frame of reference to be able to recognize what is Geula. Being able to know the requirements for Melech haMoshiach. Learning what is the point of Geula.
- Learning the Halachos of the Beis Hamikdosh
- Finding ways to welcome Moshiach, via dancing, new songs, any form of art that expresses Geula modes of being such as pleasure, peace and joy. Or even building a Palace for Moshiach. These are all ways to express active participative bitachon in Moshiach.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Fri, Aug 25 2023, 1:04 pm
Lita wrote:
Well the great Rav Berland is predicting that Moshiach is coming this 10 Elul.
You can add that to his many grand predictions that have come and gone..

I'm not willing to wait that long.

First Lady

Post Fri, Aug 25 2023, 2:19 pm
Which thread is this a spinoff of?

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Fri, Aug 25 2023, 2:35 pm
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....25136
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions