Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
What do your kids take for snack to school?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Aug 26 2023, 9:26 pm
5yo going into pre1a, ftm and I'd like to hear from others what their kids bring for recess and what other kids from their class bring. Don't want to give sugar snack and would rather keep it healthy, but don't want dc to feel deprived or different than other classmates

amother
Thistle

Post Sat, Aug 26 2023, 9:28 pm
School has a rule only simple snacks (no super snacks etc.) and Mezonos. They only allow sugary treats aka junk for Rosh Chodesh.

amother
Dimgray

Post Sat, Aug 26 2023, 9:36 pm
We do a healthyish granola bar (we like the good and gather brand from target), pretzels or crackers, an apple sauce pouch, a fresh fruit, and a yogurt or string cheese- she eats some of these with her lunch and one is left to eat as we do carpool after school.

bebrave

Post Sat, Aug 26 2023, 9:42 pm
Oat cookies

amother
Clover

Post Sat, Aug 26 2023, 9:49 pm
We do potato chips or pretzels.
Sometimes cut up fruit.

amother
Peru

Post Sat, Aug 26 2023, 9:51 pm
I bake and fill my freezer with muffins and cookies. I use honey/maple syrup/coconut sugar and whole spelt flour.
My kid gets to choose one thing from the freezer + one snack bag + cut up fruit.

happy chick

Post Sat, Aug 26 2023, 10:22 pm
Morning snack is fruit/veggies (carrots, peppers, cucumbers, apples, grapes, etc)

Afternoon snack is bag of chips, pretzels, corn pops, pop corn , etc.

amother
Snowflake

Post Sat, Aug 26 2023, 11:04 pm
1 fruit - apple, kiwi, banana, grapes, etc
1 Veg - baby carrot, mini cucumbers, pepper slices, baby tomato, etc
1 sandwich - ww mezonos bread with cream cheese, peanut butter, chumus, etc
1 junk - chips, popcorn, sweet junk cereal, cookies , rugelach, brownie, etc
NEVER - candy or fruit roll up

Eventhough school provides lunch they don’t like it so I send them with the sandwich

amother
Cornsilk

Post Sat, Aug 26 2023, 11:42 pm
Pretzels, chips, corn pops, granola bars, fruits, wafers.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 12:52 am
My grandkids take super snack Sad

amother
Glitter

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 12:55 am
#BestBubby wrote:
My grandkids take super snack Sad

Normal. I always laugh at these threads. Just wait until ur boys are in 1st, 2nd,3rd grade etc. I work in schools and see the reality. Vast majority super snacks, hot sauce chips, onion rings etc. maybe u can get away with baby carrots and healthy granola bars in preschool but trust me that’s not the reality in the older grades.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 2:03 am
amother Glitter wrote:
Normal. I always laugh at these threads. Just wait until ur boys are in 1st, 2nd,3rd grade etc. I work in schools and see the reality. Vast majority super snacks, hot sauce chips, onion rings etc. maybe u can get away with baby carrots and healthy granola bars in preschool but trust me that’s not the reality in the older grades.

I have pre school, elementary, teens & super snack is not a school snack. It's not something my kids take to school.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 2:07 am
Quote:
I have pre school, elementary, teens & super snack is not a school snack. It's not something my kids take to school

Then they're probably eating someone else's.
My DD is 3 and she tells me everyday how one of her friends was always begging her for her snack and she was so nice and sharing

myname1

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 4:33 am
I'm going to bet it highly depends on the school and/or community. I'm in Israel and my kids usually get pretzels and bamba and a fruit and a pita/sandwich.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 8:19 am
Are there any tasty nut free granola bars?

ynms

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 8:21 am
ra_mom wrote:
Are there any tasty nut free granola bars?

https://www.target.com/p/madeg.....44622

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 8:23 am
Cookies & snack bags ( trying to avoid the gross ones but as my kids get older they demand what they like.) Older kids with long days (boys) I insist on 1 fruit a day but I oftentimes get the feeling that they don't eat it.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 8:23 am
amother Glitter wrote:

My kids take 2 hot sauce potato chips. But also cut veggies and an applesauce pouch are hot commodities (as long as there's junky hot sauce too).
I wish there were vegetable and fruit options that didn't rely on me preparing them each night.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 8:24 am
ynms wrote:
https://www.target.com/p/madegood-chocolate-chip-granola-bars-6ct/-/A-54444622

Thank you very much!

amother
Cornsilk

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 10:45 am
amother Periwinkle wrote:
Quote:
I have pre school, elementary, teens & super snack is not a school snack. It's not something my kids take to school

Then they're probably eating someone else's.
My DD is 3 and she tells me everyday how one of her friends was always begging her for her snack and she was so nice and sharing

I wouldn't think so. We have super snack in the snack drawer and they just don't take it. If they'd want, they'd take instead of taking someone else's.
The school tries to be on top of healthy snack as well. Pre school isn't allowed to take any snack at all. I don't really care if they eat a super snack, as they take fruit and healthy snack as well every day. But they just don't eat it. It's not a very going snack by us.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children