Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
LG LED light in refrigerator-what to do for shabbos?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 11:08 pm
My daughter just moved into a rental apartment with the LG LFDS22520 refrigerator. It has an LED lightbulb that she cannot figure out how to turn off. We don't think it can be turned off. What do people do in this instance in terms of Shabbos? She cannot get a new refrigerator. Has anyone else faced this problem, or know of a rabbi who is well versed on work arounds. I know an LED light does not have the same status of aish as an incandescent bulb, but we are at a loss of what to do.
She is MO if it matters.

All suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 11:13 pm
We just moved into a rental and had the same exact issue with an LG fridge. The door is triggering the light to turn on through a magnet. After many tries we found the spot where the magnet is. On the top frame of the fridge. We bought two magnets at home depot that we tape down onto those spots (ours is French door so it was on both sides). The door is still able to close with the magnets in place and this way the door is opened the door sensor is not being triggered and the light does not turn on

I know that may sound super complicated- I'm sorry if I didn't explain it well

amother
Firethorn

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 11:17 pm
There's an overpriced plastic sliding gadget ($10-12 iirc that can go over the switch (if the light is triggered by a switch in the door frame area) I bought it in a Judaica store cause it's one time expense.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 11:26 pm
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
We just moved into a rental and had the same exact issue with an LG fridge. The door is triggering the light to turn on through a magnet. After many tries we found the spot where the magnet is. On the top frame of the fridge. We bought two magnets at home depot that we tape down onto those spots (ours is French door so it was on both sides). The door is still able to close with the magnets in place and this way the door is opened the door sensor is not being triggered and the light does not turn on

I know that may sound super complicated- I'm sorry if I didn't explain it well

Thank you so much! I am on the phone with her now and the magnet seems to be the issue. Off to either amazon or the hardware store before shabbos!

amother
Dimgray

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 11:34 pm
You can also put 2 magnets on top of the refrigerator a little off to the sides of where the doors open
Play with the magnets while the door is open until the lights go off
If one magnet is not strong enough you may need to stack 2

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 8:57 am
Are there specific magnets people buy?
A specific kind of tape to hold them in place?

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 8:59 am
amother OP wrote:
Are there specific magnets people buy?
A specific kind of tape to hold them in place?

I use magnets and Velcro from hobby lobby. Make sure the magnets are strong enough.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 9:00 am
We also use magnets - just bought small flat ones in a hardware store.

Not LG fridge, but same issue.

My husband copied it from some youtube videos. They aren't even taped down, they're strong magnets so it does the job on it's own.

ETA: Sorry, I just checked and it is taped down! With one piece of strong tape.

librarygirl

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 9:02 am
I've used these
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Go-.....earch
and painters tape so it doesn't leave residue. Just use a lot to make sure it doesn't come off. Also, remove after shabbos, it's not really good for the fridge.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 9:25 am
librarygirl wrote:
I've used these
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Go-.....earch
and painters tape so it doesn't leave residue. Just use a lot to make sure it doesn't come off. Also, remove after shabbos, it's not really good for the fridge.

We keep them in the entire time.

We'd never remember to do it each Friday.

I believe we use stronger magnets than the ones you linked. They've been in for an entire year without getting dislodged.

Why should it ruin the fridge?

amother
Chicory

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 9:26 am
We had this problem and an Israeli airbnb. We used a strong magnet placed on top corner of fridge...and just left it there the whole time.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 9:29 am
The rental I moved into has a magnatile taped down...lol

jflower

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 9:33 am
https://m.youtube.com/shorts/glqyh5z1njY

Pooh

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 10:20 am
I have an LG fridge. It has Shabat mode. Google how to set it for that specific model.

amother
Diamond

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 10:24 am
Pooh wrote:
I have an LG fridge. It has Shabat mode. Google how to set it for that specific model.

Not every LG model has Shabbos mode. But as other posters said, magnets strong magnets can work.

Cmon be nice

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 11:14 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-B1n5kELbU

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 10:05 pm
There should be a switch on the inside wall of the fridge near the door about halfway down. Depress the switch, tape it down with duct tape, and leave it like that. An inside light is a waste of electricity. I turn it on only when cleaning for Pesach, after which I tape down the switch again.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 11:28 pm
We had this issue and after a few months the fridge stopped working after using the magnets so be wary of that...
Bought the magnets from town appliance
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen