Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Help us find a community to move to

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 12:50 pm
I want to start by saying I know there is no perfect place, however if there is a community that ticks most of the boxes, we would love to learn more. We currently live in a very large community in the tri-state area that will not suit us long term. We are looking for our forever home and are open to any location in the US. (Or even Canada)
Number one is we want to live in a warm welcoming and diverse community. The financial pressures of living in town, and the "keeping up with the cohens" is not for us. I don't want social status to be determined by what brand of stroller you push or shoes your kids wear or where you choose to vacation. Hashkafically we are more modern, but love a good mix of different types of jews in a community. We want o be a part of a community that is growing where the schools are established, so not a pinoneer community, and more families are moving in than out (but can still be on the smaller side). We have 2 littles under 4 and would need good schools for them in the future. Coed is fine, but strong judiac and secular studies is important. Jobs can go anywhere so that is not an issue. We would love to be able to find a beautiful home, (no need to be large) with a backyard for under 600k. Not a house that needs 100k of work to be livable.
And last one the list is a beautiful city/area. A place filled with child friendly parks and places to go, (zoos, museums, etc). We would love to be close to beautiful places such as mountains or water. We are a very active outdoorsy family and appreciate incorporating these things in our everyday life. I would love to not have extreme weather, buy if the perfect place happened to have really cold winters, can there at least be good skiing nearby? 😆

amother
Cherry

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 12:53 pm
Silver spring, Maryland.
Houses are a bit more expensive, but checks every other box.

amother
Canary

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 12:55 pm
First one that popped into my head was Minneapolis

mha3484

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 12:56 pm
Chicago/Skokie meets a lot of your criteria. We are a very green city we have so many parks and green spaces to enjoy. Its really unique. Lots of school options from Co-Ed to Yiddish speaking. Its a good size not too overwhelming but a lot of school and shul options. Also I don't feel the gashmius is constantly in my face. It exists for sure its not a uptopia but it doesnt feel excessive.

I went to my 4 year olds orientation last night and there were some fancier/trendier mothers and a lot who were not. Its a really good mix.

Also if your kids end up needing any extra assistance, the schools here probably are the most equipped outside the tri state area.

Last edited by mha3484 on Mon, Aug 28 2023, 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 12:57 pm
Cleveland is worth checking out.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 12:58 pm
I live in the Pico area of LA. Sounds like everything you describe besides for the cost of housing

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 1:12 pm
Atlanta

amother
Jasmine

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 1:15 pm
Pittsburgh

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 1:23 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Chicago/Skokie meets a lot of your criteria. We are a very green city we have so many parks and green spaces to enjoy. Its really unique. Lots of school options from Co-Ed to Yiddish speaking. Its a good size not too overwhelming but a lot of school and shul options. Also I don't feel the gashmius is constantly in my face. It exists for sure its not a uptopia but it doesnt feel excessive.

I went to my 4 year olds orientation last night and there were some fancier/trendier mothers and a lot who were not. Its a really good mix.

Also if your kids end up needing any extra assistance, the schools here probably are the most equipped outside the tri state area.

Chicago/Skokie has very high housing prices.
In all honesty, most places are like what you describe.
OP, what about Denver? Detroit? Baltimore? Cleveland? Waterbury? Cincinnati? Dallas?

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 1:26 pm
Cleveland

amother
Wandflower

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 1:35 pm
Look into:
Baltimore, MD
Pittsburgh, PA
Richmond, VA
Memphis, TN
St. Louis, MO
Las Vegas, NV

wigboutique

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 2:38 pm
amother OP wrote:
I want to start by saying I know there is no perfect place, however if there is a community that ticks most of the boxes, we would love to learn more. We currently live in a very large community in the tri-state area that will not suit us long term. We are looking for our forever home and are open to any location in the US. (Or even Canada)
Number one is we want to live in a warm welcoming and diverse community. The financial pressures of living in town, and the "keeping up with the cohens" is not for us. I don't want social status to be determined by what brand of stroller you push or shoes your kids wear or where you choose to vacation. Hashkafically we are more modern, but love a good mix of different types of jews in a community. We want o be a part of a community that is growing where the schools are established, so not a pinoneer community, and more families are moving in than out (but can still be on the smaller side). We have 2 littles under 4 and would need good schools for them in the future. Coed is fine, but strong judiac and secular studies is important. Jobs can go anywhere so that is not an issue. We would love to be able to find a beautiful home, (no need to be large) with a backyard for under 600k. Not a house that needs 100k of work to be livable.
And last one the list is a beautiful city/area. A place filled with child friendly parks and places to go, (zoos, museums, etc). We would love to be close to beautiful places such as mountains or water. We are a very active outdoorsy family and appreciate incorporating these things in our everyday life. I would love to not have extreme weather, buy if the perfect place happened to have really cold winters, can there at least be good skiing nearby? 😆

Israel. Has all of the above what you want & more 💕

https://home.amana.co.il/en/projects/
Great site for new projects and communities in Yehuda & Shomron and also really affordable.

Also Carmiel you can get decent size houses for a very affordable price and there is a religious community but still very “out of town”.

Good luck! You should maybe consider even if it wasn’t what you originally sought out in the post! I’ve been living here 5 years and feel the luckiest in the world and so happy to have the zechut to build my family here.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating