Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Is it too much $$?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 8:40 pm
Is $4,500 too much for an insane dining room light fixture? Dying to get it as a baby gift or smtn

amother
Tomato

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 8:44 pm
It all depends on your income. Do you and your husband make a million per year? What

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 8:46 pm
We’re average earners. I want this instead of a jewelry piece. I’m totally not a spender. I love to see my house look nice and I would rather be stingy on other things and spend on this. Like I wouldn’t go on vacation

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 8:47 pm
For me it's too much. Everyone has different priorities.

amother
Caramel

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 8:48 pm
It’s a lot but if your going to spend the money anyways in jewelry or something its a good choice.

amother
Currant

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 8:49 pm
How could anyone on the internet possibly know since it depends on your individual circumstances?

There are people who buy light fixtures for this price or even more

These people have lots of disposable income and have bought beautiful expensive furniture commensurate with the price of this fixture for the whole house.

This is at the realm of expenditures when people don't have to buy one thing instead of another because their budget for home decor can afford almost anything they want.

CPenzias

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 8:59 pm
It's the cost of a vacation so if you're willing to allocate your money to this instead then use it in good health.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 9:01 pm
It's a lot. I spent $2000 on a massive fancy entry way light. And I thought that was over the top. You can find beautiful for way less.

amother
Latte

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 9:01 pm
maybe do a Google lens search to see if you can find a cheaper copy of the chandelier? or if u post the link, I can do it for you

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 9:04 pm
The original is $6,000 plus tax. The dupe is $4,500. Nothing cheaper.

Unless anyone can link something really big and modern?

amother
Zinnia

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 9:08 pm
amother OP wrote:
Is $4,500 too much for an insane dining room light fixture? Dying to get it as a baby gift or smtn

HUH? Aren't baby gifts onesies and diaper bags and bottle warmers? Who gives chandeliers when you have a baby? I want to be friends with your friends!!!

familyfirst

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 9:09 pm
Go for it
Consider it furniture, which it is. It just hangs from the top instead of sitting on the floor:)

You’re not a slender.
You’re giving up jewelry and vacation.
You’re not asking for both.

Go for it and enjoy! May it be a source of light, literally and figuratively!

CPenzias

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 9:10 pm
I think she's talking about a push present from her husband. (I never got one lol)

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 9:10 pm
I think she means push gift.

amother
Currant

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 9:11 pm
amother OP wrote:
The original is $6,000 plus tax. The dupe is $4,500. Nothing cheaper.

Unless anyone can link something really big and modern?

This is still irrelevant to anyone telling you whether it is too much FOR YOU.

I am not disputing that many light fixtures are $4500 or even more.

That is not the issue - the only issue is what your individual economic circumstances are?

Is your house fully furnished with other furniture that is of the same quality or are you spending almost all of your furniture budget on a chandelier?

FWIW I can say that it is not too much money FOR ME because I have enough discretionary savings and income so that I could buy an expensive item and still have money for any other furniture or decorative items I wanted.

If I had ONLY $10,000 to furnish my entire dining room, I wouldn't spend 50% on a chandelier, however beautiful

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 9:14 pm
Can I afford it? Yes.
But should I rather put away the money for marrying off kids? And if my husband will succeed and we’ll have enough money then to marry off kids and this fixture won’t be a problem… I’ll regret not buying it

amother
Starflower

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 9:16 pm
I would love to see a photo...

Op it's not something anyone can answer but just out of curiosity,were you planning to spend this amount on jewelry etc or is it just a mental justification of "well I could've bought xyz but I didn't...". We've all been there!!

amother
Calendula

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 9:18 pm
That sounds insane but if it makes you happy then you do you.

amother
Currant

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 9:19 pm
amother OP wrote:
Can I afford it? Yes.
But should I rather put away the money for marrying off kids? And if my husband will succeed and we’ll have enough money then to marry off kids and this fixture won’t be a problem… I’ll regret not buying it

If you are relying on your husband making lots of money in the future and worried about saving for your children's future YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT.

This kind of expensive item is meant for people who have a lot of discretionary income and are saving lots of money for the future.

You need to stop attempting to justify purchasing items that you can't afford because that it is the way to living a life of debt.

There is always going to be something beautiful that you can buy. You are not going to spend a lifetime regretting not purchasing a light fixture you can't afford.

amother
Starflower

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 9:19 pm
amother OP wrote:
Can I afford it? Yes.

How dated is it? Honestly it's a bit scary spending this amount on a very modern piece. What are the chances you'll still live it in 19 years? Back in the day a classic chandelier would last a lifetime & then would be rewired & last onother lifetime...

I'm all for fun modern pieces but I try not to spend more than I'd be ok getting rid of in a number of years.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics