Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
RH gifts for teachers
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 9:06 am
I usually bake something like cinnamon buns or honey cake for the teachers, but I’m looking for other (easier) ideas. Any suggestions?

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 9:15 am
Chocolate?

amother
DarkOrange

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 9:27 am
I get fancy honeys, put them in a nice individual bag with a honey scooper thing (the oval on a stick with the lines… anyone who has a word for it, please chime in!)
And write a nice card
It looks beautiful (I happen to be good at putting things together) and doesn’t cost that much for the many many rabbeim and teachers

lamplighter

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 10:01 am
Can we just stop????

smss

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 10:46 am
lamplighter wrote:
Can we just stop????

Of course you can!
Some people like to.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 12:52 pm
lamplighter wrote:
Can we just stop????

Why? Why shouldn’t she show some appreciation? Now don’t start the whole I also work and don’t get appreciated garbage Can't Believe It

amother
Mintgreen

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 1:02 pm
amother OP wrote:
I usually bake something like cinnamon buns or honey cake for the teachers, but I’m looking for other (easier) ideas. Any suggestions?

What a beautiful way to come into Rosh Hashana by showing appreciation!

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 1:05 pm
As a teacher, very few students give gifts at the beginning of the year but whoever does - are so appreciated. They are usually small gifts - a little bowl with honey candies or cookies, a dipped apple from a store nicely wrapped, some chocolate. It gives a very nice boost to the morah. Nothing is expected, just appreicated.

amother
Burntblack

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 1:14 pm
amother DarkOrange wrote:
I get fancy honeys, put them in a nice individual bag with a honey scooper thing (the oval on a stick with the lines… anyone who has a word for it, please chime in!)

Drizzle stick 😀

amother
Jasmine

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 1:20 pm
amother Seagreen wrote:
Why? Why shouldn’t she show some appreciation? Now don’t start the whole I also work and don’t get appreciated garbage Can't Believe It

It's not showing appreciation, the school year didn't even start yet. It's a bribe.

amother
Grape

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 1:30 pm
amother Jasmine wrote:
It's not showing appreciation, the school year didn't even start yet. It's a bribe.

As much as I hate another obligation, and I'm tempted to get annoyed at people who do this because I could never swing this...
Bribing is allowed and even encouraged when it comes to our kids' chinuch.
So while I don't see myself sending cinnamon buns to teachers anytime this century, good for all of you who can!

Just don't forget the note - that's the main part.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 1:31 pm
And write a nice card
It looks beautiful (I happen to be good at putting things together) and doesn’t cost that much for the many many rabbeim and teachers

Please tell me what you write on the card!

amother
DarkOrange

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 1:32 pm
amother Burntblack wrote:
Drizzle stick 😀

Thank you very much! I thought my mind drew a blank but turns out I actually didn’t know that!!

amother
DarkOrange

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 1:34 pm
amother Razzmatazz wrote:
Please tell me what you write on the card!

Dear rabbi/ Morah———,
Thank you for all the effort you put into yossi and the class. We are really looking forward to an amazing year! Have a great yontif
Ksiva vchasima tova and a gut gbentched yahr

amother
Jasmine

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 1:35 pm
amother Grape wrote:
As much as I hate another obligation, and I'm tempted to get annoyed at people who do this because I could never swing this...
So while I don't see myself sending cinnamon buns to teachers anytime this century, good for all of you who can!

Afaik, This applies only to boys torah learning. Not to teachers in general. And many hold that it's not allowed at all. Because the chiyuv of chinuch is on the parents, not on the Rebbi or teacher.

watergirl

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 1:40 pm
amother Grape wrote:

I would be so sad if I thought one of my boy's rebbes was swayed by a bribe. That is not a rebbe I want my son to have.

Where do you get the idea from that bribing is allowed and encouraged?

amother
Dustypink

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 1:41 pm
And write a nice card

Can you post a picture?
I'm in Israel where it is a done thing, would love to do something like this but im not so good at it

amother
Watermelon

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 1:50 pm
I like to give napkins with a rosh hashana print and a card. (I'm in Israel for reference)

amother
DarkOrange

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 2:36 pm
amother Dustypink wrote:
Can you post a picture?
I'm in Israel where it is a done thing, would love to do something like this but im not so good at it

Don’t have a picture, but I’ll explain more in depth.
I get small honeys from the grocery store, the fancy ones with flavors in glass jars and wax tops. I put the drizzle stick next to it (thanks to the ima who gave me the name)
Then I put them both in a clear cellophane bag that you use for shalach manos for small individual food item. The tops are sticky, so I fold them over and they look very very neat and professional (no folds or ribbons or ties which I think looks messy) . I attach a small card/sticker

smss

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 3:29 pm
amother Jasmine wrote:

Believe me, teachers are working on behalf of your child well before the school year starts.
(Not to mention I assume all schools have started by RH?)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics