Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
RH gifts for teachers
Previous  1  2

amother
Caramel

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 3:33 pm
lamplighter wrote:
Can we just stop????

Agreed bec soon it will become the norm like mishloach manos

smss

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 3:44 pm
amother Caramel wrote:
Agreed bec soon it will become the norm like mishloach manos

Aaaaaaand you STILL don't have to do what "everyone else" does if it's not right for you.

amother
Tuberose

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 3:47 pm
It's actually listed as honey dipper stick on amazon

amother
Caramel

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 6:44 pm
smss wrote:
Aaaaaaand you STILL don't have to do what "everyone else" does if it's not right for you.

I'm sure the teachers love getting a million little honey jars

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 6:49 pm
amother DarkOrange wrote:
I get fancy honeys, put them in a nice individual bag with a honey scooper thing (the oval on a stick with the lines… anyone who has a word for it, please chime in!)
And write a nice card
It looks beautiful (I happen to be good at putting things together) and doesn’t cost that much for the many many rabbeim and teachers

It’s called a honeycomb

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 7:08 pm
I think it's crazy that this is a standard. School barely started by then and it's ttly a bribe. In addition, just by the way, fancy honeys cost a lot of money.....

amother
Strawberry

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 8:17 pm
Not standard, or expected, and I don't see it as a bribe at all. I'm not going to treat your daughter any differently if you give me a gift for rosh Hashanah or not. (or chanuka gelt/mishloach Manas either)
But, OP was asking for ideas, not to debate the concept of it Wink
As a teacher, something cute I got was an apple scented, pretty hand soap. You could probably also find scented candles or similar ideas along those lines.

amother
Moonstone

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 8:18 pm
I do something very very small. I don’t think of it as a bribe, but rather bec I really do appreciate the work teachers do and I want to show it. Smile I’m talking under $5 a teacher - I don’t have many kids and can do it.

amother
Jasmine

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 8:21 pm
amother Strawberry wrote:
Not standard, or expected, and I don't see it as a bribe at all. I'm not going to treat your daughter any differently if you give me a gift for rosh Hashanah or not. (or chanuka gelt/mishloach Manas either)
But, OP was asking for ideas, not to debate the concept of it Wink
As a teacher, something cute I got was an apple scented, pretty hand soap. You could probably also find scented candles or similar ideas along those lines.

Unfortunately, many teachers do & the other girls end up suffering for it and the parents feel pressured. Which is why those things are a bribe and it's crazy that it's becoming standard.
Bribery is assur for a reason.

amother
Vanilla

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 8:49 pm
I’ll be the crazy teacher who agrees that gifts are completely unnecessary. And I’ll say that my kids love honey bears. They set up Goldilocks and however many bears and honey dishes all over the table. You can never have too many honey bears lol

amother
Moonstone

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 10:23 pm
amother Vanilla wrote:
I’ll be the crazy teacher who agrees that gifts are completely unnecessary. And I’ll say that my kids love honey bears. They set up Goldilocks and however many bears and honey dishes all over the table. You can never have too many honey bears lol

Of course it’s not necessary. I think it’s nice for the kids to write a card and I get a $3-4 treat and kids give to teacher. It’s more the thought.

amother
Apple

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 10:30 pm
This post is reminding me that on the first Friday of my son's playgroup I sent over a potato kugel, just saying thanks and Yankel had a great first week, looking forward to a great year etc. Totally wasn't a bribe, I was making kugel for shabbos anyways. Simple nice gesture that I think (hope!) The morah appreciated!

momtra

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 10:38 pm
As a parent who plans on doing this ( love the apple scented soap idea! ) and as a teacher, these small gestures are nice and appreciated.
As a teacher I don’t see it as a “ bribe “ at all. It shows good will and thoughtfulness. And that’s really it.
In years when I didn’t have a chance to get a little something, I simply send an email wishing the teachers a kesiva vchadima tova and looking forward to a rewarding year…

Optione

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 11:36 pm
amother Razzmatazz wrote:
Please tell me what you write on the card!

"Thank you for such a great start! Name comes home so happy.
Wishing you much continued hatzlacha,
Signature"
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics