Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Home decorating

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 11:42 am
I used a designer to buy window treatments for my house. I spent about 15k so this wasn’t a small purchase. One of the shades for my daughters room came out awful. I hadn’t seen the fabric in advance, the decorator saw it and told me it was perfect and I went along trusting her. The whole thing just looks wrong and ruins the look of her room, like really ugly. The person who did the window treatments said nothing she can do. Do I hold the decorator responsible? Is it just my loss?

amother
Clover

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 1:15 pm
amother OP wrote:
I used a designer to buy window treatments for my house. I spent about 15k so this wasn’t a small purchase. One of the shades for my daughters room came out awful. I hadn’t seen the fabric in advance, the decorator saw it and told me it was perfect and I went along trusting her. The whole thing just looks wrong and ruins the look of her room, like really ugly. The person who did the window treatments said nothing she can do. Do I hold the decorator responsible? Is it just my loss?

It's your loss. You should have made sure you saw the fabric in advance and approved it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 1:19 pm
The decorator really encouraged that I shouldn’t come with her and trust her. I totally recognize that’s a gamble and learned my lesson. But the point of having her is that I trust her to take care care of the look of the house. I do think that maybe the vendor I got it from should offer to switch something after I spent so much money at her store and this looks awful. This one alone was $1200

amother
Canary

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 2:46 pm
I’m sorry you needed to experience this but there’s honestly nothing you can do if it’s a custom thing.

If you trusted your designer, you sort of gave her your power of attorney and she was the customer for the window treatment vendor. The vendor doesn’t have to be involved here. Maybe discuss it with your designer but there honestly isn’t much you can hope for

Amarante

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 3:09 pm
From a "legal" point of view, there is really nothing you can do since you authorized her to use the fabric.

I do a whole house remodel and redecoration and my designer was very careful to have me actually see design options in person - or at least on the internet. She did make certain choices like the handles for my shower door but that was after I had selected the hardware finish for all of my bathroom stuff.

Sometimes we would play a bit of a game and she would ask me to pick without telling me what her first choice was and I generally wound up picking her selection - but I saw everything in person and also vetoed some stuff completely in terms of not liking any of the choices she showed me.

That said, as a business person who is in a business which relies on having satisfied customers recommend, she should at the very least give you a wholesale rate for remaking to your satisfaction and drop any "profit" that she commissioned.

My designer made an aesthetic mistake with my coffee table as it was too high. I had approved the actual table but neither of us saw that it was not the standard 19" heigh but was a bit higher so it just didn't look right. Since I had spent a LONG time trying to find a table that I liked and worked in my space, she suggested having a metal shop she used cut down the legs by about 2" and refinish so that the table would be lower. She didn't charge me for this - didn't charge me for pick up or delivery either. The shorter table is now the perfect height Smile

ra_mom

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 3:23 pm
I am so sorry that happened OP. I hate wasted purchases and aggravation also. Sad

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 3:32 pm
Amarante wrote:
From a "legal" point of view, there is really nothing you can do since you authorized her to use the fabric.

I do a whole house remodel and redecoration and my designer was very careful to have me actually see design options in person - or at least on the internet. She did make certain choices like the handles for my shower door but that was after I had selected the hardware finish for all of my bathroom stuff.

Sometimes we would play a bit of a game and she would ask me to pick without telling me what her first choice was and I generally wound up picking her selection - but I saw everything in person and also vetoed some stuff completely in terms of not liking any of the choices she showed me.

That said, as a business person who is in a business which relies on having satisfied customers recommend, she should at the very least give you a wholesale rate for remaking to your satisfaction and drop any "profit" that she commissioned.

My designer made an aesthetic mistake with my coffee table as it was too high. I had approved the actual table but neither of us saw that it was not the standard 19" heigh but was a bit higher so it just didn't look right. Since I had spent a LONG time trying to find a table that I liked and worked in my space, she suggested having a metal shop she used cut down the legs by about 2" and refinish so that the table would be lower. She didn't charge me for this - didn't charge me for pick up or delivery either. The shorter table is now the perfect height Smile

To clarify—
I saw pics of the fabric and the fabric itself isn’t bad, just when made into that style of Roman shade it looks like a carpet hanging on the wall. Or a towel maybe. I don’t think it was my job to envision that that fabric with that style would look terrible. But I do think she should’ve known better. It’s not like a matter of my personal taste hating it. It came out looking awful. And she made over 1500 commission on the window treatments alone, so it feels really depressing that I need to pay for that mistake. No offer of remaking or even discounting a replacement 😬
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics