Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
2.5 is too INTENSE

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 8:52 am
This isn't normal but I don't know what it is. It's not regular toddler behavior. It's not a discipline or a parenting problem. It's not highly sensitive child.

My kid is like 2.8 now and too intense. If you say no he can scream and scream for 20 minutes. If he's angry he makes hilarious faces of rage and charges like a bull. He's just too much.

It's like his temperament needs some modulation. It's dialed up too much.

What can I do for this? What is it?

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 9:13 am
Sounds like a little boy? Does he charge other kids like that or only adults?

I agree with you, though, it's HARD! Not all twos, but some, can be extremely intense.

giftedmom

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 9:26 am
Trust your gut. It might be nothing but if your instincts say it’s not normal, first take him to the doctor to rule out physical causes (strept, ear infection) and if he’s cleared take him for an eval.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 9:37 am
He's not my first little boy or my first toddler...

realtalk

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 9:37 am
How do you react when he gets like this? The majority of kids need to be taught how to handle big emotions.

My 3yo has similar outbursts and I really try when he gets into that zone to sit on the floor with him and model deep breathing. He's also a physical kid so if he's calm near me, I'll have him add an arm motion with each deep breath to give him something to focus on.

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 10:10 am
Sounds normal. Having kids can fool you into thinking all kids must be like your kids, because that's your prior experience. It's a bias.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 11:00 am
In my experience, the first thing to change in such a situation is your parenting method. What works for some kids doesn't work for all. Consider the nurtured heart approach, raising your spirited child, or something else. When a kid is not the same as your other ones, he needs you to change how you parent.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 03 2023, 8:12 am
Bump

Today he wanted a mitzvah note so he proceeded to scream and cry. I can't explain it but I don't feel it's normal. He just proceeded straight to meltdown mode.

I have a diff kid with asd and adhd diagnosis
I have a lot of toddler experience
It really feels like something is just too intense here. Like he needs OT or something.

amother
Alyssum

Post Fri, Nov 03 2023, 8:19 am
So many things to do for overly aroused nervous system. Really depends on the cause, but in general, craniosacral therapy, reflex integration, homeopathy, clean anti inflammatory diet, good sleep, these are all good foundations for nervous system health. More advanced is looking into chronic infections, gut issues like Yeast, parasites, dysbiosis etc, and airway issues like tongue ties, narrow palate, sleep apnea, enlarged tonsils and adenoids.

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Nov 03 2023, 8:23 am
Evaluate him you can start many therapies at this age. Is he articulate enough for his age? This is often a sign of not feeling they can communicate and using screaming instead of speaking. How is his sleep and food intake?
Is he sleeping enough? Does he eat too much junk? Some kids are more sensitive to sugar and dyes and when lessened the tantrums improved.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Fri, Nov 03 2023, 11:15 am
My kid is same way I basically try and avoid conflict with him because once he is screaming it's the worst time to give in as it will teach him crying =whatever he wants. I also try and commiserate like "Chaim wants to go outside but mommy said no. That's so dissapointing for you. That must be so hard. And I hug him."

amother
Dustypink

Post Fri, Nov 03 2023, 11:21 am
Sounds similar to my 3 year old. And I’m also an experienced mom and work in the field so I knew it wasn’t regular tantrums. I’m taking her for OT specifically sensory and reflex intervention. When she doesn’t get her way, I let her kick and scream and when she feels ready to calm down, we do deep breathing, squeezing and hugs. Her meltdowns are getting shorter and she now can ask for breathing and hugs

tichellady

Post Fri, Nov 03 2023, 11:47 am
Why not try OT for him if that’s your gut reaction?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics