Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Since chopped meat is a fortune now - is it bad if we stop?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 12:01 pm
Chopped meat is insane. A package for $20? That's crazy. I am wondering from a health perspective, is it very bad if we simply stop eating meat. I will continue with the chicken and meat in cholent but how bad is it if my kids never have meat?

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 12:04 pm
No one needs to eat meat ever.
You can get your iron from somewhere else.
Many many people never eat red meat at all

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 12:05 pm
For what reason would it be bad? Chicken has enough protein

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 12:06 pm
Thing is I always used to serve at least once every couple of weeks either chopped meat or hamburgers- some sort of meat. what can I do to replace whatever they were getting from the meat? I feel like a bad mom if I don't give them meat at least once a month.

amother
Cognac

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 12:06 pm
There are healthy vegetarian and vegan kids so yes, you can be healthy without meat. The question is, what will they be missing from their diet (in terms of vitamins and minerals) if you eliminate it and what is your plan to make sure they get it elsewhere?

My approach with rising meat costs is to stretch it. I mix in a ton of finely chopped veggies into my burgers and meatballs. I get twice as much and they're healthier too.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 12:07 pm
It’s better to have less red meat

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 12:08 pm
So why if I don't have chopped meat/hamburgers at least once a month I crave it so much? I literally crave the meat every few weeks. I like the idea of stretching it. Can you give a tried and true recipe?

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 12:08 pm
We eat red meat maybe twice a year. Everyone is perfectly fine. Oh we also buy the cheapest package we can find and put a few pieces in the cholent (in addition to some chicken). A package gets split between three or four weeks so it’s really not a lot. My kids are little so it’s still working for now but the pricing situation for food is getting out of hand.

amother
Diamond

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 12:09 pm
I find chicken more expensive
Chicken is 7.99 a pound and ground beef is 6.99
Sometimes under $5 if you buy mix chicken beef

tichellady

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 12:12 pm
Instead of making hamburgers make chili, Italian wedding soup, meatloaf, etc to stretch the meat

amother
Stonewash

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 12:13 pm
We started putting in just a very small amount of meat in the cholet and instead adding in cut up hot dogs (if you buy the cheapest brand/on sale it's not so expensive) The kids are thrilled with the hotdogs and it's a lot cheaper.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 12:14 pm
Thanks everyone - can the poster who said she stretches the meat with veggies give a recipe.

Italian soup - that sounds awesome. Can you give a tried and true recipe?

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 12:17 pm
Why is it $20?
If it’s $7 a pound, it’s $14 for the big pack ( usually big pack is 2 pounds)

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 12:18 pm
You can stretch meat by mixing it with rice and stuffing either chicken or veggies.
Even when you make meatballs, mix with breadcrumbs and egg and roll them smaller. Serve with a starch such as spaghetti.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 12:22 pm
We love chili

Tomato soup with boneless flanken is another way to stretch meat. serve with baguette

Highstrung

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 12:22 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thing is I always used to serve at least once every couple of weeks either chopped meat or hamburgers- some sort of meat. what can I do to replace whatever they were getting from the meat? I feel like a bad mom if I don't give them meat at least once a month.

So many physicians say to cut out red meat from our diets . Chicken is healthier . Though , ground beef is cheaper than chicken nowadays , per pound ,

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 12:31 pm
Tacos/taco salad is a great way to stretch meat

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 12:35 pm
I find ground beef works out cheaper as it goes a lot further. My shnitzel is only as many as it makes. When I make my own meatballs or bolognaise, it stretches a lot further. You can also up the proportions of matzo meal to meat in meatballs, so it's not as much meat and it goes further.

giftedmom

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 12:36 pm
Many people myself included grew up without meat. As long as your kids get plenty of other animal protein and fat they’ll be fine.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 12:36 pm
Add rice and fried onion to stretch ground beef.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries