Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
What is your H.S. Rules regarding cell phones
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 1:01 am
My daughter is in 11th grade and her school decided they can’t have phones this year. I’m wondering what your school rules are and if everyone keeps them. Etc also is there a time when texting is allowed?

amother
Forsythia

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 10:20 am
I don't have a daughter in high school, but my daughter's school is preschool-12th. This is from the parent handbook.

1. High School students are not allowed to bring smartphones to
school. The only phones which may be brought onto campus are phones with features
limited to placing and receiving telephone calls and sending and receiving texts. The
phones may not be able to access the internet or any data functions.
2. If a student has a basic phone that she brings to school, she must hand the
phone into the school office before the first period begins, and the phone will be
returned after the last period ends.
3. If a non-smartphone is found, the phone will be confiscated. For a first
infraction, it will be taken away for a week and then returned to the student. For a
second infraction, parents will need to schedule a meeting with the administration
before the phone will be returned.
4. If a smartphone is found, the phone will be confiscated. For a first infraction, it
will be taken away for two weeks and then returned to the student. For a second
infraction, parents will need to schedule a meeting with the administration before the
phone will be returned.
5. If a student driving to school has a smartphone, she should leave it in her locked
car. If she has a non-smartphone and wishes to bring it into the office, she may follow
the policy for basic phones on campus. No student can access a smartphone or
non-smartphone in her car during the school day. If a student attempts to do so, the
phone will be confiscated following the policy for violations of the smartphone policy
above.
6. Parents can call the school office (xxx-xxx-xxxx) to have written messages left
for their daughters.
We encourage parents to contact TAG - Technology Awareness Group - a local
organization that can help you navigate the complex world of internet and data
connections and cell phone access

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 10:28 am
amother Forsythia wrote:
I don't have a daughter in high school, but my daughter's school is preschool-12th. This is from the parent handbook.

school. The only phones which may be brought onto campus are phones with features
limited to placing and receiving telephone calls and sending and receiving texts. The
phone into the school office before the first period begins, and the phone will be
infraction, it will be taken away for a week and then returned to the student. For a
second infraction, parents will need to schedule a meeting with the administration
4. If a smartphone is found, the phone will be confiscated. For a first infraction, it
infraction, parents will need to schedule a meeting with the administration before the
phone will be returned.
5. If a student driving to school has a smartphone, she should leave it in her locked
car. If she has a non-smartphone and wishes to bring it into the office, she may follow
non-smartphone in her car during the school day. If a student attempts to do so, the
phone will be confiscated following the policy for violations of the smartphone policy
above.
6. Parents can call the school office (xxx-xxx-xxxx) to have written messages left
for their daughters.

That's not a Lakewood school. Right?

OP, my DD is in a Lakewood school. Officially girls are not allowed to have a phone at all.
In actuality, many/most girls in 11th and 12th grade have them. If the school finds the phone, automatic suspension.

amother
Clover

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 10:28 am
Officially in our lkwd hs, girls are not allowed their own phone, def no access to smartphones.
My daughter does have a phone but it's available technically for the whole family and it turns off automatically at 10:00 because I find that late night texting in general is really not good for teenagers.
If she wants to talk on the phone after she uses the landline

amother
Offwhite

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 10:33 am
They're not allowed to have their own phone.
No texting from the family/parents/any phone.
No touching a smartphone.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 10:54 am
amother Mistyrose wrote:

OP, my DD is in a Lakewood school. Officially girls are not allowed to have a phone at all.
In actuality, many/most girls in 11th and 12th grade have them. If the school finds the phone, automatic suspension.

I don't know what the right answer is, but I find it so sad that we're turning ou children into a generation of liars, almost every speaker I hear on this subject mentions how many of our kids have their "Yeshiva phone" and their other phone-so far, I've been able to hold my son off, but he's becoming very resentful

paperflowers

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 11:05 am
amother Forsythia wrote:

phone will be returned.
above.
for their daughters.

This seems reasonable and thought out.

amother
Forsythia

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 12:09 pm
Quote:

Correct. Not Lakewood. OOT regular bais yaakov style school. Some girls drive carpool to school, so their parents want them to have a phone while driving. They are not allowed to park in the school parking lot, but rather on the local streets. Some girls walk to school and in the winter it's dark when they walk home. Some parents prefer they carry a phone while walking for safety. They cannot have a phone in school0/class itself, but if they need can leave in the car or give it to the secretary.

They don't necessarily "own" a phone. I have a few driving kids. We have a phone on the shelf that is not theirs, but they take when they drive and put back when they come home.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 6:51 pm
I noticed so many girls have phones, does that mean they are doing it illegally? Or loopholes- like it’s a “family” phone.
Are there any schools that actually allow phones? Texting?

amother
Alyssum

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 7:03 pm
My girls hs allows tagged phones in 11th. Most girls have “family devices” (Flatbush BY)

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 7:23 pm
My girls can not have a phone and have to sign they won’t have their own phone. We have a “family phone” a flip phone they take when they go out with friends. They can’t bring a phone to school and can’t use a smartphone

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 7:29 pm
amother OP wrote:
I noticed so many girls have phones, does that mean they are doing it illegally? Or loopholes- like it’s a “family” phone.

My daughter's school in Lakewood allows the girls to have a phone because they don't want lying and sneaking but you need to get it through the school so it is tagged and you need to follow the school parameters about using it

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 7:31 pm
amother OP wrote:

Most Lakewood schools don't allow the girls to have any phones. Many girls use a "family phone". My daughter is in Chedvas. They allow the girls to get a flip phone through the school, it has talk and text only. My dd says that a lot of the girls have "family" smart phones that they use, but many only use the Chedvas phone.

amother
Begonia

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 7:39 pm
amother Clover wrote:
Officially in our lkwd hs, girls are not allowed their own phone, def no access to smartphones.
My daughter does have a phone but it's available technically for the whole family and it turns off automatically at 10:00 because I find that late night texting in general is really not good for teenagers.
If she wants to talk on the phone after she uses the landline

How do you have it automatically shut off?

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 8:47 pm
When my daughter was in 9th grade it could only be a certion type of phone and you had to leave it in the office the whole day.
In 10th for some reason they tried to ban phones it did not work.

Schools should realize that girls are going to have them and stop with trying to control the uncontrollable.

small bean

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 9:23 pm
My school does not allow phones and my girls don't have one. A rule is a rule and it's definitely not a need.

GLUE

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 9:27 pm
small bean wrote:
My school does not allow phones and my girls don't have one. A rule is a rule and it's definitely not a need.

Do you have transportation from school?

It's nice to say no phones but if there is no transportation for the school to ban them means that they don't care about the girls.

small bean

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 9:52 pm
GLUE wrote:

It's nice to say no phones but if there is no transportation for the school to ban them means that they don't care about the girls.

No, I live in Jackson. The schools has phones if my kids need to call me.

I don't let my kids do Lakeway, Uber, iride etc.

small bean

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 9:54 pm
GLUE wrote:

Also there used to not be phones and no transportation and we all got around. I'm not sure why a phone is a necessity.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 9:58 pm
small bean wrote:
Also there used to not be phones and no transportation and we all got around. I'm not sure why a phone is a necessity.
my 7 grader has a no-internet smartphone. She uses it to call me when she goes to babysit at night. And when she goes to a friend herself on the bicycle. No access to internet on it, only text and talk.I bought a plan for $8 month prepaid, so she has no way of sending even pics there.....and no internet.

I don't imagine sending kid anywhere without me being able to contact her. She calls me when she comes to let me know she came and calls when she is about to leave. .....am I being naive that I'm letting her have it? What gonna happen -she will buy a secret sim card with internet? I'm not sure how in nowadays kids can go without phone. It's the only way to know where my child is.....and it is a *family phone* bc we don't have a phone home, and when I leave, I need my kids to be able to call me /Hatzolah, so we have this device at home. whenever she bikes to a friend, I ask her if she took "home phone" with her.....
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries