Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Pre1a curriculum for boys

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 9:30 pm
What is your son learning this year in pre1a and which yeshiva? I send to a yeshiva in boro park and am not impressed with the info the teacher provided me when she called the mothers over the phone to introduce herself.

bsy

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 9:31 pm
The curriculum I got said letters and sounds, phonemic skills, sight words, numbers 1 to 100, odd/even, more/less, counting by 5s and 10s. Might have left out a few things

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 9:36 pm
amother OP wrote:
What is your son learning this year in pre1a and which yeshiva? I send to a yeshiva in boro park and am not impressed with the info the teacher provided me when she called the mothers over the phone to introduce herself.

Hebrew or English?
My boys had rebbes in primary, and left the year with a high level kriah which is the biggest goal of the year (including all nekudos rules cold)
In English it’s not great, but my kids have mostly taught themselves to read and always read ahead of their age level. They read a lot from a young age and learn a lot from reading
I’m more than impressed with what my kids have learned in their schools
Especially from primary and first grade
Between kriah and teitch, they somehow are masters at setting up the boys to succeed in learning

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 9:38 pm
[quote="amother Rose"]Hebrew or English?
My boys had rebbes in primary, and left the year with a high level kriah which is the biggest goal of the year (including all nekudos rules cold)
In English it’s not great, but my kids have mostly taught themselves to read and always read ahead of their age level. They read a lot from a young age and learn a lot from reading
Between kriah and teitch, they somehow are masters at setting up the boys to succeed in learning[/quote

Specially English. More or less all of the curriculum for rebbi's are the same

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 9:42 pm
[quote="amother OP"]
amother Rose wrote:
Hebrew or English?
Between kriah and teitch, they somehow are masters at setting up the boys to succeed in learning[/quote

Specially English. More or less all of the curriculum for rebbi's are the same

Yea so the curriculum of lower elementary grades I have always found to be really really basic, but it’s actually imperative that they are thoroughly teaching all of these basics. As much as your child may already know, these things have to be super clear to them because it’s the foundation of all reading, writing, and math that they will learn later
It’s great to supplement at home (like I do) but it’s important for them to have these super basic curriculums. Especially in primary-3rd grade

amother
Lily

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 11:25 am
The most important thing is letter sound recognition and phonemic awareness. It's more about how well its taught than how much is taught
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children