Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
19th month old suddenly started screaming when going to slee

henchy

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 4:22 pm
Hi,
My 19th month old who used to love going to sleep and used to walk to his crib when he was tired , suddenly started screaming by bed time. This started the same time he started a new babysitter.
Should I think the babysitter letting him cry for long periods of sleep? how can I create more positive associations with sleep again?

behappy2

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 4:26 pm
I would fire the babysitter. Sounds like something traumatic happened or is happening. It at least find out what's going on, check up in the middle etc...

hithere3

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 4:27 pm
Ear infection possibly? It hurts more when they lay down

amother
Canary

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 4:33 pm
Hard to say...our now 3 year old had that also at around that age. I think he had night terrors. It's was awful.l and exhausting We would go in a hold him and hold him but nothing helped. Bh it Passed....

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 4:53 pm
I would for sure look into the babysitter situation. If he doesn’t feel safe at the babysitter then he is not feeling secure in his attachment to you right now and that is causing the crying. Please look into it very very well and don’t assume everything is fine with the babysitter.

That being said, my child did the same exact thing at 18 months and she was home with me so it had nothing to do with a babysitter. She would scream and scream when we put her in her crib unless we stayed in the room with her. Till then she had been a good sleeper. Out of frustration and sleep deprivation we ended up sleeping in her room with her (she stayed in her crib, I
slept on a mattress) until she finally felt comfortable again. It took a week or two. So it’s possible this is just a phase.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 5:51 pm
When my kids do this I always check them for strep and they're almost always positive.

giftedmom

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 6:17 pm
It’s called a sleep regression and it’s normal at this age

amother
Raspberry

Post Sun, Sep 10 2023, 6:19 pm
I’ve been at daycares where the kids cry themselves to sleep. The morah gives the bottle/paci , shuts the light and plays soft music. The kids are always crying.
Not a healthy situation
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics