Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Recipes with nuts for RH

noosheen

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 9:38 pm
I’ve seen several nice recipes for RH in the Jewish magazines & they have nuts in them

Thought there’s a very well practiced and known minhag not to eat nuts. I don’t know why the magazines do this ? Are some nuts allowed and some not?

Cheiny

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 9:44 pm
noosheen wrote:
I’ve seen several nice recipes for RH in the Jewish magazines & they have nuts in them

Thought there’s a very well practiced and known minhag not to eat nuts. I don’t know why the magazines do this ? Are some nuts allowed and some not?

It’s all nuts. Gematria for Hebrew word for nuts equals cheit. So we avoid them.

daredevil

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 10:06 pm
Peanut butter too?

ez-pass

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 10:11 pm
Some ppl eat nuts. Some ppl only eat some nuts. There are different minhagim

chubsy

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 10:15 pm
The walnut is “egoz” in Hebrew which equals cheit. Some hold all other nuts are fine.

imanotmommy

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 11:30 pm
chubsy wrote:
The walnut is “egoz” in Hebrew which equals cheit. Some hold all other nuts are fine.

This
We only don't eat walnuts (and maybe pecans? same nut family, but I may have made that up) and seems that minhagim that don't allow any nuts are really based on a mistranslation/misunderstanding. If your family doesn't eat any nuts, though, then go ahead and follow that, obviously-lack of almonds is probably not harming anyone Smile But you can also ask a rav to clarify the minhag, if you davka want to use nuts.
Regardless, the answer to OP would be as others have said, that many do eat nuts.

I am a bit curious what criteria people who "don't eat any nuts" use to classify nuts. peanuts? coconuts? Even almonds technically don't really grow like nuts. (According to the USDA: walnuts, hazelnuts, chestnuts, and pecan are, botanically, nuts.)

joyce01

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 11:32 pm
I asked and was told that almonds are OK to use.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 11:43 pm
Only walnuts are an issue.

noosheen

Post Tue, Sep 12 2023, 6:36 pm

The recipe has ‘maple walnut crunch’ as the topping & its title is ….a twist on RH classic ….

It seems like the walnuts really make this soufflé taste yummy. Why would they use a recipe with the ONE nut that’s a no-no?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 12 2023, 6:38 pm
noosheen wrote:

The recipe has ‘maple walnut crunch’ as the topping & its title is ….a twist on RH classic ….

It seems like the walnuts really make this soufflé taste yummy. Why would they use a recipe with the ONE nut that’s a no-no?

Good question. They must have chosen this flashback recipe because it had carrots, and didn't realize about the walnuts. Doubt this recipe was actually developed for RH. But hey, you never know.

noosheen

Post Tue, Sep 12 2023, 6:39 pm
Is walnuts ok for sukkos ?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 12 2023, 6:40 pm
noosheen wrote:
Is walnuts ok for sukkos ?

Some people don't eat walnuts on RH. Some people don't eat until shmini atzeres, some until beraishis.

Amarante

Post Tue, Sep 12 2023, 7:10 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Some people don't eat walnuts on RH. Some people don't eat until shmini atzeres, some until beraishis.

And some people eat nuts obviously.

Balabroomstick

Post Tue, Sep 12 2023, 8:09 pm
I wonder this every year! I always see on kosher.com most recipes contain nuts because it’s fall and festive but I don’t get it when most people don’t eat nuts.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Sep 12 2023, 8:09 pm
it runs the gamut. some eat everything with nuts, some avoid all nuts. some avoid coconut and donuts too. and hazelnut liquer. haha.

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 9:44 am
chocolate moose wrote:
it runs the gamut. some eat everything with nuts, some avoid all nuts. some avoid coconut and donuts too. and hazelnut liquer. haha.

Donuts!!!
Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter
Now that’s a productive (weight loss) minhag!

Eta, I have no idea what I did here! All I wanted to do was a smaller font for weight loss Can't Believe It

And I can’t seem to get this back in shape.
Seems like the donut abstaining helped the weight loss Im with stupid What
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus