Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Knee pain- almost 5 year old

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 9:06 am
my almost 5 year old will complain about knee pain. It's not every day or even necessarily most days, or all day but it's often enough that it's a thing already that she complains about her knees. I took her to her pediatrician and she said it can be growing pains and her knees look fine. just give her pain killers if she's in a lot of pain. I try to only give her the pain killers if it doesn't seem to be going away, like sometimes if they are hurting and I snuggle with her then she goes to sleep without the pain killers, sometimes it seems worse then other times so I gave it this morning and I think the last time was August 25th. is the doctor right and that's just par for the course for some kids or should I be taking her to someone else like a pt or orthopedist or something? or because it's not everyday even though I think it might be a few months at this point I shouldn't worry about it?

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 9:09 am
Check for Lyme and strep...don't know why pediatrician dismissed.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 9:12 am
amother Beige wrote:

so your saying that this isn't normal for "growing pains" I think she said something about doing blood work maybe it was for lyme or strep don't remember but she said that kids who have that issue their knees look I think red and inflamed and her knee looks fine so she doesn't think it's necessary.

looked over the note from the patient portal and this is what it said
reason for visit "Pt has had knee pain for awhile now. No known injury"
"Monitor for persistent knee pain and call with redness, swelling, bruising, limited movement/play, or other concerns

no mention even of blood work or anything.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 9:22 am
amother Beige wrote:

if she had those would it hurt during the day as well, with her it's either first thing in the morning or towards bedtime. the dr. said kids tend to feel aches and pains at bedtime...

amother
Amaryllis

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 9:24 am
Strep, Lyme, mycoplasma, celiac, magnesium deficiency, fallen arches

There’s always a cause. Drs are dismissive when they don’t know and don’t feel like digging.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 9:27 am
This is a huge sign of strep or Lyme. Get a strep culture and bloodwork. When my kids have strep sometimes their only symptom is knee pain.
Your doctor never should have ignored this.

amother
Watermelon

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 9:30 am
Low ferritin. You might find this article helpful.

https://www.littlelivewires.co.....ldren

amother
Hyssop

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 9:33 am
Dealing with same for a while now, but more intense it seems.
No answers, but had a thorough exam by a pediatric rheumatologist.
We also had xrays and ultrasounds done at some point when the pain was severe severe and dc couldn’t move.
And of course the first thing was blood work to rule out acute infection and see inflammatory markers.

At this point, though we don’t have answers, doc thinks it may be a chronic non bacterial osteomyelitis or AMPS.

I’ll be following this thread to see what suggestions you get, and if we haven’t looked into that yet.

Hope your daughters pain resolves really fast. It’s so hard to see our cute little preschoolers in pain...

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 10:06 am
I also was talking it out with a family member today and realized that yesterday she jumped from someplace high, I think in my daughter's case it might be due to physical stuff she does so I'm going to try to keep track and do strengthening exercises with her and take a break from high impact stuff ( she used to do parkour) and see if maybe that helps. but I hope this thread will help other people.

to the poster right above me- I really hope you figure out what's wrong and that your child gets better, it really is hard seeing our kids suffer.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 10:10 am
amother Watermelon wrote:
Low ferritin. You might find this article helpful.

https://www.littlelivewires.co.....ldren

this is fascinating! thank you so much for posting this. I'm definitely going to keep this in mind.

amother
Bergamot

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 10:13 am
amother OP wrote:
my almost 5 year old will complain about knee pain. It's not every day or even necessarily most days, or all day but it's often enough that it's a thing already that she complains about her knees. I took her to her pediatrician and she said it can be growing pains and her knees look fine. just give her pain killers if she's in a lot of pain. I try to only give her the pain killers if it doesn't seem to be going away, like sometimes if they are hurting and I snuggle with her then she goes to sleep without the pain killers, sometimes it seems worse then other times so I gave it this morning and I think the last time was August 25th. is the doctor right and that's just par for the course for some kids or should I be taking her to someone else like a pt or orthopedist or something? or because it's not everyday even though I think it might be a few months at this point I shouldn't worry about it?

Oh my gosh! My son has the same!!
Exact same story
He’s 8, it’s been going on since he was 2
It’s so sporadic but when it hits it’s bad
Pediatrician took blood work and he showed markers for juvenile arthritis I think. I have an appointment by a rheumatologist now

amother
Poinsettia

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 10:21 am
I used to have knee pain since I remember myself. My mother tried every shoe possible And nothing helped. At one point in life I figured out that I need a lot of heel cushioning for shock absorbing. By now whenever I buy shoes I make sure it should be soft at heel. I could say I mostly pain free Unless I have a wedding and dance through the night with pumps. I do have extremely flat feet so that could also be a factor. If it's just now for few weeks I would do blood work. But if it's an ongoing thing for years like me I would consider sneakers for her. Good luck.

amother
Tuberose

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 10:26 am
My daughter needed arches. I’d go to a podiatrist.
I ignored it for many years and it got really bad.

amother
Hunter

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 11:16 am
My kid went through years of pain until someone made me aware to test for Lyme.
Pediatrician kept dismissing it for growing pains.
A few weeks on medication and the pain is gone bh.

honeymoon

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 11:21 am
My six-year-old constantly complained of knee pain, usually at night. I ruled out strep and Lyme so assumed it was either growing pains or an orthopedic issue. It resolved after several months.

It's very possibly a magnesium deficiency.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics