Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Heating up food second night
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 1:03 pm
So I still don't have a solid menu for the night meals. I was thinking of heating up soup second night, but it would take too long to heat up on the hot plate, as I don't feel comfortable leaving a fire on all yuntif. For those heating up soup for the second night, how do you plan on heating it up? Thanks

amother
Dimgray

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 1:05 pm
Chicken soup in a foil pan heats up very fast.
Take everything out of the freezer before yom tov.

amother
Mocha

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 1:06 pm
I know you don’t want to do this but I do leave fire and leave a blech on

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 1:08 pm
I leave fire and blech and my oven.

ShaniF

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 1:19 pm
We unplug our oven and then turn on the stove on Yom Tov with a match (from Yahrzeit candle) so we can put anything on the flame and shut it off after

amother
Mocha

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 1:33 pm
ShaniF wrote:
We unplug our oven and then turn on the stove on Yom Tov with a match (from Yahrzeit candle) so we can put anything on the flame and shut it off after

I didn’t realize you’re allowed to extinguish a flame

ShaniF

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 1:35 pm
amother Mocha wrote:

DH asked and he does it a specific way. Not sure how.

amother
Dimgray

ShaniF wrote:

How do you shut the flame?
We're allowed to turn on a flame on yom tov, not shut off.

pause

amother Mocha wrote:

AFAIK most people hold that you're NOT allowed to. Please ask your local Orthodox rabbi.

amother
Dimgray

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 1:36 pm
ShaniF wrote:
DH asked and he does it a specific way. Not sure how.

Are you sure he extinguishes the flame and it doesn't extinguish on it's own after some time?
I don't think there's any way that it's halachically permissible to extinguish a flame on yom tov when not pekuach nefesh.

amother
Mocha

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 1:37 pm
pause wrote:
AFAIK most people hold that you're NOT allowed to. Please ask your local Orthodox rabbi.

I have no intention of asking since I have no plans on doing this. I learned it’s not allowed. I leave fire on under a blech.

ShaniF

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 1:38 pm
amother Dimgray wrote:
Are you sure he extinguishes the flame and it doesn't extinguish on it's own after some time?

Yup he shuts it.
Ask your LOR

We're in Lakewood and he called the Bais Hoorah I believe.

amother
Dimgray

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 1:41 pm
ShaniF wrote:
Yup he shuts it.
Ask your LOR

We're in Lakewood and he called the Bais Hoorah I believe.

Please tell us exactly how he shuts it, because I don't believe that there's a halacha permissible way to shut a flame on yom tov. Please ask your husband and get back to us with the answer. If you're not ready to do that, then I take it as it's not allowed halachically.

ShaniF

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 1:43 pm
amother Dimgray wrote:
Please tell us exactly how he shuts it, because I don't believe that there's a halacha permissible way to shut a flame on yom tov. Please ask your husband and get back to us with the answer. If you're not ready to do that, then I take it as it's not allowed halachically.

Wohow chill.

It would be my greatest pleasure to find out and get back to you.

amother
Eggplant

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 1:45 pm
My parents do that as well so apparently there is a way.

amother
Molasses

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 1:47 pm
Some say you are allowed to shut off the gas, which will extinguish the flame automatically.

Most say you can turn a flame down very low if your food will burn otherwise.

Some only allow turning the flame higher or lighting a new one from a preexisting flame.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 1:48 pm
amother OP wrote:
So I still don't have a solid menu for the night meals. I was thinking of heating up soup second night, but it would take too long to heat up on the hot plate, as I don't feel comfortable leaving a fire on all yuntif. For those heating up soup for the second night, how do you plan on heating it up? Thanks

I have a fire with a blech. I also have an oven a warming drawer. There’s plenty of time for the soup to get hot in the oven or on a blech, if you do simanim the second night. We do, and we also have fish the second night, so we have plenty of time. Even if you don’t do simanim, if you put the soup wherever it’s going to warm up right at the zman, it should be good by the time you are ready for it.
Alternatively, if you have little kids, you can heat it up earlier for them and give them an early dinner. You can heat up the whole pot, not just what you are going to give them.

amother
Mocha

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 1:52 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
I have a fire with a blech. I also have an oven a warming drawer. There’s plenty of time for the soup to get hot in the oven or on a blech, if you do simanim the second night. We do, and we also have fish the second night, so we have plenty of time. Even if you don’t do simanim, if you put the soup wherever it’s going to warm up right at the zman, it should be good by the time you are ready for it.
Alternatively, if you have little kids, you can heat it up earlier for them and give them an early dinner. You can heat up the whole pot, not just what you are going to give them.

Not on shabbos though, right? (You can’t heay up soup or any liquid on shabbos)

amother
Seablue

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 1:54 pm
We also use the regular stove fire. We don't unplug the oven though.

We hold it's okay to shut gas so we can do it on our gas oven which causes the fire to go out.

amother
Dimgray

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 1:55 pm
amother Molasses wrote:
Some say you are allowed to shut off the gas, which will extinguish the flame automatically.

Most say you can turn a flame down very low if your food will burn otherwise.

Some only allow turning the flame higher or lighting a new one from a preexisting flame.

Which is why I asked that poster if he doesn't do something that the flame should extinguish on it's own. She says that not.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur