Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Heating up food second night
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

ittsamother

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 7:48 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
Seriously? She’s talking about the second night and day! Please make sure you read before replying. Even in my comment it was clear I was talking about the second night. I don’t need to be told what I can’t do or when I can’t do it.

Yes, but how can you prepare soup earlier for the second night? That's still on shabbos. Wouldn't you need to wait until Shabbos is over before you can heat up any soup?

amother
Mulberry

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 7:51 pm
ittsamother wrote:
Yes, but how can you prepare soup earlier for the second night? That's still on shabbos. Wouldn't you need to wait until Shabbos is over before you can heat up any soup?

Of course you have to wait until shabbos is over!

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 7:52 pm
ittsamother wrote:

Exactly how I said. Take it out and put it on right at the zman. Other food can be warmed up earlier if your children will definitely (or most likely) eat it.

amother
Mulberry

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 8:02 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
Exactly how I said. Take it out and put it on right at the zman. Other food can be warmed up earlier if your children will definitely (or most likely) eat it.

Other food can’t be warmed up on shabbos

amother
Dimgray

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 8:10 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:

No food can be warmed up earlier on shabbos.

amother
Rainbow

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 8:12 pm
amother Mocha wrote:
I didn’t realize you’re allowed to extinguish a flame

I thought same, only in case of danger ir if food is burning.

YounginBP

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 8:14 pm
amother Dimgray wrote:
No food can be warmed up earlier on shabbos.

Dry food can be warmed on a inverted pan.
(For children's dinner let's say)

Don't you ever warm challah or coldcuts or liver up for shabbos day?
Smach lseuda

amother
Almond

This thread has been the cause of significant halachic discourse in my house tonight.
Resolution: as of yet, none. LOL

amother
NeonPurple

I keep a flame on throughout yt
Alternatively you can put multiple tea lights under the stove grate and hope it gets hot enough fo heat up the soup
Make sure the soup is not frozen before yt
At the end of the day, you do need time, many times my soup is not boiling by the second night… depends how long everyone is willing to wait to eat

amother
Dimgray

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 8:18 pm
YounginBP wrote:
Dry food can be warmed on a inverted pan.
(For children's dinner let's say)

Don't you ever warm challah or coldcuts or liver up for shabbos day?
Smach lseuda

Only real dry food like challah. Not soup, chicken, meat or Basically any real food. We were told deli is a sheila, liver Only dry liver pieces.
And even if one does warm food on shabbos afternoon for the kids, I don't think we may purposely heat up more than the kids need so it should be warm for yom tov.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 8:42 pm
amother Mulberry wrote:
Other food can’t be warmed up on shabbos

If you are allowed to warm food up on shabbos, then you are allowed to warm it up to give your kids dinner before shabbos is over. If my children want pasta for dinner on shabbos, I can put it in the warming drawer or on the blech, same as any other shabbos.

amother
Dimgray

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 8:46 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
If you are allowed to warm food up on shabbos, then you are allowed to warm it up to give your kids dinner before shabbos is over. If my children want pasta for dinner on shabbos, I can put it in the warming drawer or on the blech, same as any other shabbos.

Right. But you can't warm up soup or meats
And you can't purposely warm up more pasta than your kids need so it should be warm for the night meal.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 8:46 pm
amother Dimgray wrote:
Only real dry food like challah. Not soup, chicken, meat or Basically any real food. We were told deli is a sheila, liver Only dry liver pieces.
And even if one does warm food on shabbos afternoon for the kids, I don't think we may purposely heat up more than the kids need so it should be warm for yom tov.

Please let’s stop paskening for others. We warm up food the way we were told you are allowed. We were told chicken with a sauce can be a problem, but chicken with spices, schnitzel, etc is not a problem because the liquid coming out if it when you warm it up is not considered liquid.
I never said anything about warming up more than your kids will eat, I actually very clearly said what your kids will, or most likely, will eat.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 8:47 pm
amother Dimgray wrote:
Right. But you can't warm up soup or meats
And you can't purposely warm up more pasta than your kids need so it should be warm for the night meal.

I have a suggestion. Before telling me what I can or can’t do, please go back and read what I wrote.

amother
Narcissus

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 8:48 pm
The old gas stoves had a gas ignition, so turning the knob and lighting with an existing flame were ok on yt. The new stovetops, most of them (I can’t say all), even if they are gas, have an electric ignition and therefore you can no longer light them on yt with an existing flame.

amother
Dimgray

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 8:49 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
Please let’s stop paskening for others. We warm up food the way we were told you are allowed. We were told chicken with a sauce can be a problem, but chicken with spices, schnitzel, etc is not a problem because the liquid coming out if it when you warm it up is not considered liquid.
I never said anything about warming up more than your kids will eat, I actually very clearly said what your kids will, or most likely, will eat.

I see that I'm not the only one that's confused by your posts.
You impleid that we may warm up more food for the kids so it should be warm for the night meal.
OP asked how food can be warmed up on time for the night meal, and your response was basically that you can warm food shabbos afternoon if you warm food for the kids, implying that you can warm up food for the meal on shabbos afternoon.

amother
Dimgray

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 8:50 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
I have a suggestion. Before telling me what I can or can’t do, please go back and read what I wrote.

I read what you wrote. Your posts are implying that it's ok to warm up food shabbos afternoon for the night meal, if you warm up food for the kids.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 8:54 pm
amother OP wrote:
So I still don't have a solid menu for the night meals. I was thinking of heating up soup second night, but it would take too long to heat up on the hot plate, as I don't feel comfortable leaving a fire on all yuntif. For those heating up soup for the second night, how do you plan on heating it up? Thanks

In a shallow pan. Vegetable soup concentrated to which I add boiling water so it heats up nicely.
I prepare schnitzel ( fancy version so it's yuntifdik) and sweet potatoe chips andn broccoli. Heats up quickly.
כתיבה וחתימה טובה

amother
Mocha

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 8:55 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
She wasn’t asking about the first night or the first day….

Saturday night is the second night. She’s asking about Saturday night

amother
Mintcream

Post Wed, Sep 13 2023, 9:05 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:

You responded to someone who specifically asked about soup, and wrote that she can warm it up. There's no way to heat up soup on shabbos. This is what many people have been pointing out to you.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur