Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Meat on rosh hashanah
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 9:49 pm
Anyone hear of a minhag not to eat meat on Rosh Hashana? I've always heard that it's yom having and were supposed to spend time davening. However, it's yom tov and when we go home from shulmwere supposed to be happy, enjoy the yom tov part and believe hashem heard our prayers.

However, a family member really yelled at me today that I am doing " bezoyen yom tov". You're not supposed to eat meat or any special meals. You're supposed to eat plain food, not spend time eating but get back to praying, saying tehillim etc.

Anyone else heard of this ?

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 9:52 pm
First there was no need for them to yell! Ever!
Some do have that minhag, but we think it’s bizayan for the yom tov where we crown hashem not to have special yom tov meals…and we Davka eat meat…so there….

Last edited by doodlesmom on Thu, Sep 14 2023, 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lightyellow

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 9:53 pm
amother OP wrote:
Anyone hear of a minhag not to eat meat on Rosh Hashana? I've always heard that it's yom having and were supposed to spend time davening. However, it's yom tov and when we go home from shulmwere supposed to be happy, enjoy the yom tov part and believe hashem heard our prayers.

However, a family member really yelled at me today that I am doing " bezoyen yom tov". You're not supposed to eat meat or any special meals. You're supposed to eat plain food, not spend time eating but get back to praying, saying tehillim etc.

No. She’s wrong.
It’sa coronation day. A day to be mamlich Hashem and a yom tov
Does she think that it’s a similar day to Yom Kippur?

tweety1

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 9:57 pm
We don't eat tongue on R"h. Maybe they're confusing tongue with meat generally

csstb

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 9:57 pm
There used to be a minhag to fast on Rosh Hashanah. I guess this is reminiscent of that and probably would garner the same objections.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 9:58 pm
Yes I heard of this. It's a chassidish thing and not at all mainstream

amother
Junglegreen

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 10:06 pm
amother Ivory wrote:
Yes I heard of this. It's a chassidish thing and not at all mainstream

Definitely not. Chassidism is all about Simcha.

pause

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 10:08 pm
I grew up that Rosh Hashona is not an "essedige" Yomtov where we put less emphasis on the food than other chagim. Part of that is having chicken rather than meat. Meat is for simchas Yomtov which we have Sukkos, Pesach, and Shavuos. No fancy desserts either.

YounginBP

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 10:19 pm
pause wrote:
I grew up that Rosh Hashona is not an "essedige" Yomtov where we put less emphasis on the food than other chagim. Part of that is having chicken rather than meat. Meat is for simchas Yomtov which we have Sukkos, Pesach, and Shavuos. No fancy desserts either.

We eat meat, but for sure keep it toned down. The 3 layer cakes or whatnot are for sukkos.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 10:32 pm
וַיֹּ֣אמֶר לָהֶ֡ם לְכוּ֩ אִכְל֨וּ מַשְׁמַנִּ֜ים וּשְׁת֣וּ מַֽמְתַקִּ֗ים וְשִׁלְח֤וּ מָנוֹת֙ לְאֵ֣ין נָכ֣וֹן ל֔וֹ כִּֽי־קָד֥וֹשׁ הַיּ֖וֹם לַאֲדֹנֵ֑ינוּ וְאַל־תֵּ֣עָצֵ֔בוּ כִּֽי־חֶדְוַ֥ת יְהוָ֖ה הִ֥יא מָעֻזְּכֶֽם: (נחמיה פרק ח פסוק י)

I’m not coming to dispute anyone’s minhagim but there’s definitely a source for eating special meals and celebrating on Rosh Hashanah.

amother
Jasmine

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 10:36 pm
csstb wrote:
There used to be a minhag to fast on Rosh Hashanah. I guess this is reminiscent of that and probably would garner the same objections.

I know many people who fast until chatzos on erev rosh Hashana.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 10:43 pm
pause wrote:

This.

Also, some people find it hard to daven after eating heavy meals....

amother
Butterscotch

Post Thu, Sep 14 2023, 10:46 pm
Is as simple as looking it up in shulchan aruch!!
Where it says we should get dressed beautiful and yom tovdik and eat a Yom tov meal!!

amother
Maize

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 1:38 am
Lkovod Rosh hashana my chasidish family doesn’t yell or criticize others…

happy mom1

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 8:40 am
tweety1 wrote:
We don't eat tongue on R"h. Maybe they're confusing tongue with meat generally

Why not tongue?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 10:03 am
amother Maize wrote:
Lkovod Rosh hashana my chasidish family doesn’t yell or criticize others…

Very good point :-)

I guess she couldn't resist - she can't let me start rosh hashana with an "aveira" to not take koved shamayim seriously enough, to be farzinken in tavas...

And just for the record, I'm chassidish, lead a very frum life, wear a covered sheitel and many people address me as rebetzin in my hometown boro park

csstb

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 10:16 am
amother Jasmine wrote:
I know many people who fast until chatzos on erev rosh Hashana.

Yes, and others who fast the whole day on erev Rosh Hashanah. There was also a minhag to fast on Rosh Hashanah itself. See Tur orach chayim 597 for a discussion on some of the justifications and criticism or the practice.

amother
RosePink

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 10:27 am
amother OP wrote:

Pure ignorance. The Rama in Shulchan Aruch specifically brings down ונוהגין לאכול בשר שמן וכל מיני מתיקה
that one should serve fatty meat and good foods on Rosh Hashana. If fact there were 4 specific days a year that in the time of the Gemara the minhag was to go all out above and beyond other yom tov days and one of the 4 was Rosh Hashana!

The Mishnah berurah does bring down that one should not overly stuff himself on Rosh Hashana but the idea of not eating meat or special foods is simply ignorance.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 10:30 am
csstb wrote:
Yes, and others who fast the whole day on erev Rosh Hashanah. There was also a minhag to fast on Rosh Hashanah itself. See Tur orach chayim 597 for a discussion on some of the justifications and criticism or the practice.

Our minhag is for the men to not eat before Shofar, so essentially until Kiddush. But it's less about fasting and more about not eating until doing this mitzvah.

csstb

Post Fri, Sep 15 2023, 11:01 am
amother Nasturtium wrote:
Our minhag is for the men to not eat before Shofar, so essentially until Kiddush. But it's less about fasting and more about not eating until doing this mitzvah.

There’s also a discussion about this—since shul doesn’t usually finish until after chatzos, it’s a type of fasting not usually allowed on Yom Tov. Mishnah Brurah allows this, and I saw someone quoted a saying the justification for allowing kiddish to happen after chatzos is actually because there was the old minhag to fast on Rosh Hashanah. Some are makpid to break for kiddush before chatzos so they don’t run into these problems.
If you’re blowing shofar at a vasikin minyan, then you’ve basically done everything perfectly according to all the minhagim and Halacha!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur