Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Why are so many plane accidents happening????
1  2  Next

Rappel

Post Sun, Sep 17 2023, 11:03 pm
In the last two weeks, there have been news reports of 3 commercial airplane malfunctions (Israelis emergency landing in Saudi Arabia, emergency landing at Ben Gurion airport due to malfunction, emergency return of a US-Greece flight due to malfunction)

plus an Italian fighter jet that crashed horrendously, and now a USA F-37 that did the same.

I'm not buying it.

Airplanes are considered the safest vehicles in the world. The percentages of crashes relative to the number of flights is miniscule.

So what is going on??? Is there a secret weapon making things go haywire? Changing magnetic fields? Corrosion in the air? What is affecting airplanes so significantly?

613mitzvahgirl

Post Sun, Sep 17 2023, 11:07 pm
Interesting thought. Come to think of it, you’re right.

imamommy5

Post Sun, Sep 17 2023, 11:16 pm
Mabe more flights-more crashes kind of thing?

Wolfsbane

Post Sun, Sep 17 2023, 11:27 pm
There was a recent piece in NYT about there being a shortage of air traffic controllers.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Sun, Sep 17 2023, 11:29 pm
Really?? Thats whats bothering you?
This is whats bothering me today:
https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html

chanatron1000

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 12:18 am
B'Siyata DiShamaya wrote:

In what way does that make plane accidents less troubling?

Java

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 12:19 am

Rude.

MyKidsRQte

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 12:33 am

no need to be rude. Start a new thread

kalsee

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 2:00 am
Rappel, I had the same thought last summer when we had a few accidents in Israel of buses losing control and crashing, with sometimes horrific results.

While I'm not a conspiracy theorist in general Wink My mind goes to --- more computerized systems on cars/buses/airplanes- potentially hackers that are breaking the system and causing the crashes (but it's being kept quiet so as not to cause major panic)

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 3:00 am
Malfunction is different from an accident.
World annual statistics don't point to your conclusions but who knows?
You posted this question to imamother. Expect all kinds of answers.

Airplane travel is 100% safe- said noone ever.
Crossing the street can be dangerous.
There are accidents and malfunctions. We try to learn from them and do better. Human error is a factor that we can try to reduce but also will never get to zero.

If your upset try the Serenity Prayer.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 3:36 am
They are overprotective about planes. They are not permitted to take off or sent back for pretty minor things. We drive with those things all the time. So any time there’s anything

Low pressure in the tires?

DrMom

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 3:41 am
Rappel wrote:
In the last two weeks, there have been news reports of 3 commercial airplane malfunctions (Israelis emergency landing in Saudi Arabia, emergency landing at Ben Gurion airport due to malfunction, emergency return of a US-Greece flight due to malfunction)

plus an Italian fighter jet that crashed horrendously, and now a USA F-37 that did the same.

I'm not buying it.

Airplanes are considered the safest vehicles in the world. The percentages of crashes relative to the number of flights is miniscule.

So what is going on??? Is there a secret weapon making things go haywire? Changing magnetic fields? Corrosion in the air? What is affecting airplanes so significantly?

Maybe I missed it -- where does it say that there are a higher % of airplane accidents and malfunctions?

The higher incidents of articles on this topic could be the result of:
- Somebody deciding to report on this topic more than usual
- Higher number of flights than usual, but same accident/malfunction rate

If the rate if higher once these factors are taken into account, then yes, it is concerning.

ora_43

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 5:25 am
Quote:

And none of the stories you're talking about involve the crash of a commercial airplane.

Note that 'emergency landing' and 'unscheduled stop due to technical issue' are two very different things in airliner-speak. A true forced emergency landing is supposed to be very rare, but 'we have a minor electric issue and will be stopping in (wherever)' is a lot less rare.

And also, that there are around 90,000 commercial flights per day. Or 1.26 million in a 2-week period.

So 3 technical issues making the news doesn't suggest a large rise in safety issues. It doesn't suggest any rise in safety issues. 3 out of 1.26 million is miniscule. (I'd guess there were a lot more than 3 flights that experienced technical issues in that time, but the rate is still quite small).

That doesn't mean there are definitely no safety issues going on. It just means that there aren't necessarily safety issues going on; it could just be that more flights = a greater overall # of technical difficulties even though the rate is the same.

Last edited by ora_43 on Mon, Sep 18 2023, 5:29 am; edited 1 time in total

ora_43

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 5:27 am
Also, from 'there are more incidents involving airplanes' to 'secret weapon or corrosive air' is a bit of a leap.

Those are potential explanations. But, to paraphrase Hanlon, never attribute to previously unheard of scientific phenomena that which can be adequately explained by airlines' eagerness to cut every corner possible in order to keep profits high.

gumby

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 5:43 am
Interesting that you say this. I sat next to a pilot who is now in the upper management of a world famous airline and he basically told me that you are correct. It is not coincidence but it is due to the fact that many seasoned pilots were incentivized to take early retirement during covid and there is a shortage of pilots. The industry essentially took on hundreds of new pilots and fast tracked them through the system and they are missing experience and skill that comes from years of practice. I was actually really upset when I heard this but put it out of my mind until I read this

fiddle

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 6:02 am
Pilots are having heart attacks due to the covid vaccine.
The air pressure puts them especially at risk.

jkl

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 8:25 am
fiddle wrote:
Pilots are having heart attacks due to the covid vaccine.
The air pressure puts them especially at risk.

Hey, you beat me to it! Since the Covid Vaccine is now the scapegoat for everything, they must be at fault here too. Though I was trying to find a way to connect the vaccine to the airplanes themselves, but I like your idea. The pilots (whom we all know of course to have received the covid vaccine) must now no longer be able to properly fly the airplanes since they rec'd the vaccines and therefore there are more malfunctions.

zaq

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 9:07 am
Commercial plane crashes are dramatic because when they happen, the fatalities can run to the hundreds per incident. Orders of magnitude more deadly are automobile accidents. 376 people died in plane crashes (both commercial and private) in the US in 2021. In the same year, 42,939 people perished in automobile crashes.

Bruria

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 9:16 am
Airlines are broke and probably cutting corners in maintenance.

WhatFor

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 9:23 am
DrMom wrote:
Maybe I missed it -- where does it say that there are a higher % of airplane accidents and malfunctions?

The higher incidents of articles on this topic could be the result of:
- Somebody deciding to report on this topic more than usual
- Higher number of flights than usual, but same accident/malfunction rate

If the rate if higher once these factors are taken into account, then yes, it is concerning.

Along these lines, from the OP, I don't even see that there were any accidents with commercial flights. Just 3 emergency landings, which according to the op were due to malfunctions? I would need more info on how often there are emergency landings due to malfunctions, and whether there were any changes in flight safety laws that could have precipitated that. What I mean by that is that if hypothetically the laws changed to ban you flying under certain conditions, whereas in the past pilots would have kept going under the same conditions, then more emergency landings could actually result from safer flying standards, as opposed to riskier. Of course, I have no clue what's going on in the OP's scenario.

I mention this because we were once already on the runway about to take off with El Al when we had to be towed back and then had to wait for a mechanic to come to the airport to look at the engine. A few hours later the plane took off. So did we just fly overseas in a plane that hours ago had a serious malfunction that could have caused an accident? Maybe. Or maybe El Al pilots are overly cautious and they didn't feel great about something they saw, so they preferred to call a mechanic to double check for everyone's safety.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics