Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
What food from your home country...
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Reality

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 9:16 am
are you willing to pay a higher price to get it in your new country?

My family can only drink Kedem grape juice and my kids only like American gefilte fish.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 12:43 pm
After years of bringing back certain foods, I decided nothing. It’s not worth to shlep or spend the money (customs) if they sold it. It’s food.

amother
Maize

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 3:52 pm
I can't think of anything. Yes, the stuff from the old country may be a bit better, but I refuse to be a spoiled brat and eat XYZ only from there, unless it's a product that does not exist here at all and is crucial to an important dish. I can't think of anything like that. I prefer to adapt my cooking and eating habits to my current environment.

When my dd went to sem, she had friends packing enough cans of solid white tuna to last till they came home for Pesach. Talk about your spoiled Americans! Israeli tuna is not great; too bad. Either get used to it, learn to doctor it up so it's edible, or do without and learn to eat something else. I gave dd a jar of American peanut butter and some Ritz crackers, not because Israeli pb is bad, but because I figured she would need something to grab immediately upon arrival before having a chance to buy anything in the makolet.

heidi

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 3:55 pm
Herr's cheese curls
I treat myself to a bag very occasionally. Definitely worth the 8 dollars Surprised it translates to from shekels

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 3:57 pm
amother Maize wrote:
I can't think of anything. Yes, the stuff from the old country may be a bit better, but I refuse to be a spoiled brat and eat XYZ only from there, unless it's a product that does not exist here at all and is crucial to an important dish. I can't think of anything like that. I prefer to adapt my cooking and eating habits to my current environment.

When my dd went to sem, she had friends packing enough cans of solid white tuna to last till they came home for Pesach. Talk about your spoiled Americans! Israeli tuna is not great; too bad. Either get used to it, learn to doctor it up so it's edible, or do without and learn to eat something else. I gave dd a jar of American peanut butter and some Ritz crackers, not because Israeli pb is bad, but because I figured she would need something to grab immediately upon arrival before having a chance to buy anything in the makolet.

Is Starkist consided to be solid white tuna by US standards?
It must have been quite expensive to fly with all those tuna cans in the luggage considering the cost of overweight on airlines.

Shuly

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 3:58 pm
amother Maize wrote:

They sell Starkist tuna and Skippy peanut butter in Israel. No need to bring it in!

Check it out -
https://www.starkist.co.il/

http://www.peanutbutter.co.il/products

heidi

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 3:59 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Is Starkist consided to be solid white tuna by US standards?
It must have been quite expensive to fly with all those tuna cans in the luggage considering the cost of overweight on airlines.

I bring back packets. They weigh very little
I use them when I'm really in the mood.

amother
Lightblue

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 3:59 pm
amother Maize wrote:

I dont think it is being spoiled. People reach for tuna because flesh food is more of a necessity for people born and raised in certain environments.

amother
Milk

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 4:00 pm
American mustard is by far way better than Israeli.I don’t know how much more it is than Israeli mustard but I refuse to get the Israeli yellow mush they call mustard

amother
Milk

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 4:01 pm
Also Cheerios , especially the frum company ones, I will spend my last 30 shekel to get….

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 4:02 pm
Reality wrote:

My family can only drink Kedem grape juice and my kids only like American gefilte fish.

*Can* only drink Kedem or *will* only drink Kedem because of taste?
How about buying the Israeli gefilte fish but not telling them it's Israeli? Unless they are the ones who cook it, why should they know?

amother
Narcissus

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 4:04 pm
Reality wrote:

Interestingly, kedem grape juice is actually cheaper than many Israeli brands of Grape juice and many Israelis use it too, as a result. (We spend more and buy Israeli brand because kedem causes my husband to get heartburn, whereas the warm climate Israeli grape juice from Mediterranean climate grapes does not.)

I also use american gefilte fish and also buy imported cranberry sauce and marinara sauce here.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 4:05 pm
amother Milk wrote:
American mustard is by far way better than Israeli.I don’t know how much more it is than Israeli mustard but I refuse to get the Israeli yellow mush they call mustard

Have you tried Telma mustard? Not bad at all IMHO.

amother
Narcissus

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 4:08 pm
Shuly wrote:
They sell Starkist tuna and Skippy peanut butter in Israel. No need to bring it in!

Check it out -
https://www.starkist.co.il/

http://www.peanutbutter.co.il/products

Starkist in America is solid white and here is chunk light. Light is way healthier here (fraction of the mercury content), but also doesn't taste as good. (Not that I've had white tuna since I was last in US almost a decade ago.)

B&D natural peanut butter is also so much more delicious and healthier than the Skippy with added sugar and oils.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 4:09 pm
amother Narcissus wrote:
Interestingly, kedem grape juice is actually cheaper than many Israeli brands of Grape juice and many Israelis use it too, as a result. (We spend more and buy Israeli brand because kedem causes my husband to get heartburn, whereas the warm climate Israeli grape juice from Mediterranean climate grapes does not.)

I also use american gefilte fish and also buy imported cranberry sauce and marinara sauce here.

Kedem is cheaper?! Last time I was in osher ad Kedem was wayyyy more expensive than any other grape juice.
What do you do with the cranberry sauce?

amother
Narcissus

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 4:09 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
*Can* only drink Kedem or *will* only drink Kedem because of taste?
How about buying the Israeli gefilte fish but not telling them it's Israeli? Unless they are the ones who cook it, why should they know?

Israeli gefilte fish is made with carp, totally different taste and texture than American whitefish.

heidi

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 4:10 pm
Wait. Vanilla extract. Will pay any price or make my own. Would never buy the ichsa fake garbage they sell in Israel

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 4:13 pm
I would pay a lot for herring under fur coat. There are no kosher options anywhere near me. I could make it myself, but it's a bit of a patchke and nobody in my family would eat it. I would totally overpay for it if I could buy smaller servings.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 4:15 pm
Here's what I WISH I could get in the states, from Australia to be precise: meat pies and crumpets!! I would pay good money for it...

amother
Rainbow

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 4:18 pm
amother Wheat wrote:
Here's what I WISH I could get in the states, from Australia to be precise: meat pies and crumpets!! I would pay good money for it...

What about Vegemite?
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics