Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
At what age does she need to see a dentist

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 10:53 am
My daughter went to the desntist and screamed so loud that the dentist gave up. Can I wait till she's older? She is 5 now.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 4:44 pm
Was it a pediatric dentist?

amother
Mintgreen

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 4:46 pm
She should be seeing a dentist. I'd find a new one that is known to be gentle with kids. My kids are not great at the dentist but they are so patient and talk them through it age appropriately, they even got my 3 year old to cooperate. Post your area maybe someone can help you.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 5:08 pm
I read kids books about dentists way before they ever went. The dentist they go to is a pediatric dentist. Initially I sit on the chair with them. They have videos for them to watch. BH they have all done well.

I take my kids around age 2 1/2 to 3. Yes a 5 yr old should see a dentist. You know your child best and need to figure out a way of doing it without creating dentist phobia.

Eta I also practice good dental hygiene with my kids. From about 15-18 months I start brushing their teeth in the bath and as they get older we brush twice a day. I always remind them that we want to brush so we don't get cavities and we go to the dentist so they can see how nice and shiny their teeth are.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 5:17 pm
Oy. I didn't take my kids until I look into my just tuned 4 year olds mouth and 2 of her molar were visibly rotted away. She got silver cap and a huge filling. I just took her older sibling who just turned 6 and he needs 2 caps plus one is already infected and might need to be pulled out.

Find a different dentist. Some have laughing gas that really helps. Bribe them with ice cream and toys. Do whatever you have to do because I feel guilty every time I see a flash of silver in both their mouths.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 6:03 pm
I took my daughter for the first time at 4 and she had 4 cavities and 2 root canals.
My next starting at 2

dinglehopper

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 6:05 pm
You need to start taking them when they have teeth. I started around age one or one and a half with a pediatric dentist. Find a new dentist is this one isn't great with kids.

amother
Blueberry

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 6:15 pm
My dentist says 6 month after the first tooth comes in. I took my youngest a bit later than that at almost two but he had don't quick checks of her mouth when I was switch other kids there before that. Most kids I start at 2.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 6:54 pm
My pediatrician told me I must take my children at age 1, when they have teeth. Before that, just wipe the teeth down every day.

I took my two oldest at 18 months, and my next at 2 years.

I go to a special pediatric dentist. He makes it fun with prizes and counts their teeth. They love going to him now at ages 7, 6, and 3.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 7:20 pm
I started at 3 when I visible saw a cavity.
We were brushing with water until then. I got a floride free one bec they couldn't spit yet. In hindsight, I should've done toothpaste younger.
Not sure I would take a 2 year old. I can't see them sitting for 2 min even. I guess I would try. Not taking her now tho, at 1.5.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 9:22 pm
My regular dentist didn't want to have an official visit for my 3 yo, just have her accompany older siblings to get used to the idea. But by 5, yes, they need to go.
My one with anxiety is at a pediatric dentistry practice (and I think they like to see starting younger but it's hard to get appointments there and it's far for me so I only bring that kid)
You need to work with the anxiety, not give in and avoid the trigger... It will just get worse.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 8:24 pm
5 is late. if my kids behaved like that, dh had to take them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics