Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Insurance for baby

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 3:00 pm
Unfortunately for some reason my baby didn’t get on our plan in time. We have to wait until we can include her which will probably be a few months. Until then is there insurance I can get meanwhile for short term?

amother
Red

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 3:18 pm
Why would it take a few months? A birth is a qualifying event

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 3:23 pm
amother Red wrote:
Why would it take a few months? A birth is a qualifying event

Yes we tried applying when she was born and for some reason there were problems that came up and then we forgot to try again so now we’re stuck without insurance for her until we register everyone again

amother
Grape

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 3:24 pm
I don't think you have any options other than to wait for the yearly enrollment period.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 3:27 pm
We also just assumed that she was covered so now we’re thousands of dollars in debt from doctors appointments

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 3:27 pm
amother Grape wrote:
I don't think you have any options other than to wait for the yearly enrollment period.

There’s no insurance we can get for one person for a few months?

amother
Chambray

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 3:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yes we tried applying when she was born and for some reason there were problems that came up and then we forgot to try again so now we’re stuck without insurance for her until we register everyone again

If you tried applying see if you can push the employer to backdate the enrollment. We were able to do it becaue they could see we initially applied on time and there was a technicality that it hadn’t been approved.

amother
Bluebell

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 3:58 pm
I don't know if this will work anymore but I did this a while ago. You call an insurance agency, like cosmos in Lakewood, and ask for a plan. Since you are close after birth, you have a qualifying events you can get a plan. Then you can cancel a few months into the year. Please verify this before trying but I did do this once.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 4:03 pm
Help us understand: is this private insurance or Medicaid? What state?

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 9:01 pm
There’s a Medicaid plus plan that you can get and pay like $40-50 a month.. call your local state office

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 9:47 pm
amother Red wrote:
Help us understand: is this private insurance or Medicaid? What state?

Private insurance through my husband’s work

stardream

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 10:32 pm
You may want to look into a healthshare like United Refuah. It's not the same as insurance (the coverage guarantee is not the same and it works differently) and they probably have a month or two waiting period that they won't cover but if you need it for longer than that it could work. Unless your medical bills are from a pre-existing condition and not routine care, in which case you would need to find out if they would give a policy and what exactly they would cover if yes.

stardream

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 10:37 pm
amother OP wrote:
There’s no insurance we can get for one person for a few months?

I don't think this exists, but I may be wrong. It's pretty risky for insurance companies, especially considering pre-existing conditions.

Definitely see if you can work it out with your husbands employer, that would be the easiest option.

If not, do you work? If you have your own business you may be able to start your own insurance plan through the business.

stardream

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 10:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
We also just assumed that she was covered so now we’re thousands of dollars in debt from doctors appointments

You may be able to negotiate these bills. You are probably getting billed a much higher rate than they get from insurances and they may work with you if you explain the circumstance.

You can listen to this from Kosher Money on the topic if you want more info:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/.....93498

amother
Green

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 10:43 pm
If you are in NY, there’s a decent chance you can get through the marketplace.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 11:18 pm
amother Green wrote:
If you are in NY, there’s a decent chance you can get through the marketplace.

I’m in Chicago
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics