Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Doona versus Imitation
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 8:58 pm
Hello everyone. First time mother to be and I really don’t want to spend on a Doona. I will not be gifted it and I’m getting an expensive carriage but I want the Doona as a car seat/practical country carriage. Also I live far from where I park car so wanna push carriage till I put it into car as a car seat.

I’ve seen the imitations on Ali express for 200 bucks and it looks exactly the same. Anything I should be afraid of? Like if it’s not accident certified?

Please help

bsy

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 9:02 pm
Exactly. Run. Don't ever buy an imitation piece of safety equipment.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 9:04 pm
Price wise it’s a 400$ diff!!! Too much to not consider…

And also I don’t know if it’s not that good. That’s why I’m asking. And bh accidents don’t happen every day. And when Chas vesholim an accident happens where a car touches the car seat, I believe a doona wouldn’t hold either

amother
Yarrow

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 9:04 pm
definitely not safe!

happy7

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 9:06 pm
Don’t get an imitation car seat. Better buy used from someone you know or get a cheaper car seat. A car seat must be safe and the imitations are not tested in the USA for safety.

amother
Celeste

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 9:07 pm
No, no, no!

Never buy an imitation car seat.

amother
Burntblack

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 9:08 pm
amother OP wrote:

And also I don’t know if it’s not that good. That’s why I’m asking. And bh accidents don’t happen every day. And when Chas vesholim an accident happens where a car touches the car seat, I believe a doona wouldn’t hold either

Your child's safety is worth more than any money! It's made from non safe toxic materials that you don't want your baby to touch or breathe in.
Nothing will happen if you don't have a doona. I promise you. Plenty of us survive without a doona.

1ofbillions

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 9:13 pm
What is money for if not protecting your baby? You’re going to use a completely unregulated, untested piece of junk from China to keep your baby alive?

Babies bodies aren’t fully formed. They are very flimsy and need to be carefully put in place. Car accidents happen all the time. If they are thrown wildly, if the car seat doesn’t keep them in place, the most horrific injuries can occur.

This is the last place to save money. Your child has no one but you to keep them safe. Do your job.

Picture a mother Chas vshalom standing by her baby’s levaya or if she’s lucky at its bedside in the hospital. How do you think she would feel about the $400 she saved?

teachkids

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 9:16 pm
You're better off buying a snap n go or even just adapters for the carseat to go on your fancy stroller

bsy

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 9:16 pm
amother OP wrote:

There is no price on a babys life. 400 is what it's worth to you? A part of me feels you are here to stir the pot. The only reason I'm bothering to respond is so that no one else even considers it.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 9:20 pm
I’m planning on getting a $1,500 stroller. And then also a $500 crib. Too many expenses at once so I was thinking that the Doona isn’t so important for me and I might as well get the imitation. Now after hearing all this I guess I’m skipping Doona. What car seat would you recommend instead?

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 9:22 pm
Evenflo sells a similar one that just as safe (or safer). Never, ever buy baby gear that isn't certified for use in the US or EU.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 9:23 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’m planning on getting a $1,500 stroller. And then also a $500 crib. Too many expenses at once so I was thinking that the Doona isn’t so important for me and I might as well get the imitation. Now after hearing all this I guess I’m skipping Doona. What car seat would you recommend instead?

Just so you know, there are amazing, stylish cribs and strollers that cost much less than that!

bsy

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 9:26 pm
Graco snap n go is under 200 with the stroller. I use it without any issues

mushkamothers

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 9:27 pm
amother OP wrote:

Personally, I would* buy a used stroller. Like new uppababy Cruz for under 300 for example. And a $50 bassinet because once baby outgrows it they can move straight into a toddler bed and most babies hate their cribs anyways. Or if you must, a used crib, everyone is always selling theirs for max $200.

Now you can afford the splurge doona plus things you actually need postpartum- good food, a night nurse, a kimp heim, or postpartum doula.

*I actually have done this

marineparkmom

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 9:28 pm
Why not get a cheap crib and use the extra money for the doona instead? The doona gives you convenience the fancy crib doesn’t provide much benefits over a regular crib.

pamom17

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 9:31 pm
A snap and go works great! You just click the car seat into the base and wheel wherever you need to go. I always keep the snap and go stroller part in my car. Plus it has a basket. I have a Graco car seat with the Graco base. I actually got the base second hand in very good condition. Many fancy strollers also have the option to get adapters so that you can click a car seat directly into the stroller frame. A safe car seat is the most important thing to buy!

amother
Celeste

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 9:33 pm
amother OP wrote:

Yeah I have a hard time accepting that you're spending $1,500 on a stroller & considering a carseat off Ali..

amother
Feverfew

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 1:57 am
amother Celeste wrote:
Yeah I have a hard time accepting that you're spending $1,500 on a stroller & considering a carseat off Ali..

Because people tend to think of the doona as a stroller instead of a car seat…

SuperWify

Post Thu, Sep 21 2023, 2:12 am
Most $1500 strollers I know are so impractical. I would get a good stroller up to $1000 and use the rest for a doona.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics