Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
S/O Do any "mixed" frum neighborhllds still exist in NY?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 7:08 pm
amother Coffee wrote:
I used to live in Boro Park. Our block was public. It had lots of walking traffic with interesting kind of people. We even saw people kissing and holding hands often enough for me to notice. Some drugs too. We also hears loud music coming from cars, interesting cars lots of non jews not living on our block just passing by. In Lakewood our block feels like the suburbs. We have almost no walking traffic. Whoever rides by probably lives in Lakewood. My kids can't take a subway or city bus wherever they want. Their favorite mall is American dream,which they mostly meat their Jewish friends there. I nearly step into target, walmart I usually order online. The few times I stepped in in the evening was mostly jews shopping. My kids living in Lakewood are way more sheltered than I was. Since public library and woke ideas got so bad we in Lakewood only read jewish books. In Boro Park my chasidish and litvish and yeshivish neighbors would all go together Friday's to the library. Then Boro park was Boro park more a mixture than now. It wasn't Williamsburg. Flatbush was also more a mixture than now. It had all types too.

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....29225

Do any mixed frum neighborhoods, with equal amounts of all different types of Jews, still exist in NY?

I think not.

I think these days, most people much prefer when everyone in their neighborhood is as close as possible to clones of themselves.

hodeez

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 7:12 pm
All types on my block in flatbush, I love it

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 7:15 pm
Yes, Monsey. We are Litvish, Chassidish, Heimish, MO and Chabad living on the same block and get along beautifully bh

sequoia

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 7:16 pm
My block in Midwood-but-we-called-it-Flatbush was very diverse.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 7:18 pm
hodeez wrote:
All types on my block in flatbush, I love it

Interesting, because I hear lots of people saying, and threads here as well, that Flatbush may be mostly

1-Sephardi

2-Chaim Berlin

3-Seniors who bought houses years ago and are slowly but surely selling

and a small sprinkling of others,

in 10 years, and even more so in 20 years iyH.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 7:26 pm
I want to say Queens is a mix, and it is. But specifically, Lakewood type yeshivish and chassidish, no. Maybe a sprinkling but not equal numbers.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 7:37 pm
I find the upper west side to be be diverse. My daughters best friends are all in different schools (with different hashkafahs) and we have friends from across the religious spectrum

Goody2shoes

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 7:37 pm
There aren't.
Years ago frum Jews went where there were other frum Jews, there wasn't the knowledge of the resources available in setting up neighborhoods for one sect exclusively. As time went on and people started leaving the few main Jewish neighborhoods this diversity happened.

amother
Begonia

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 7:38 pm
Monsey, Flatbush, and queens have all types.

Flatbush is definitely the largest mix

Goody2shoes

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 7:45 pm
amother Begonia wrote:
Monsey, Flatbush, and queens have all types.

Flatbush is definitely the largest mix

I don't think a neighborhood that has a majority of one type can be called a mix. There are all sorts of Jews living in Boro Park but I'd still not consider it a mix because majority are chassidim. Same goes for Flatbush, there aren't enough of each type to be called a mix.
I think of the 3 you listed Monsey wins though I don't know how much longer it will be that way.

amother
Bellflower

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 7:46 pm
my block in kensington has this

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 7:48 pm
Pretty much non existent today. The world in general has moved to either extreme and people need to take “sides”. Its an unfortunate reality.

Those in queens, Flatbush and Manhattan who are saying your neighborhoods are “mixed” what a joke. They are not. Not like the achdus we had in Boro Park 30-40-50 years ago.

giftedmom

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 7:58 pm
Marine park seems to be very mixed. But really all over NYC on the outer edges of Frum neighborhoods you will get an interesting fusion of cultures.
Back in the day when my kids were little we lived by one such “boundary”. We had black, brown, Asian, Muslim ll and hipster neighbors, cool clubs and bodegas at every corner, and lots of hipsters with dogs passing by.
As much as I love the safety of my block now, and everything being so accessible, it feels boring at times.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 7:59 pm
alwayssmiling wrote:
I don't think a neighborhood that has a majority of one type can be called a mix. There are all sorts of Jews living in Boro Park but I'd still not consider it a mix because majority are chassidim. Same goes for Flatbush, there aren't enough of each type to be called a mix.
I think of the 3 you listed Monsey wins though I don't know how much longer it will be that way.

Monsey may have modern people but they don't have a large not frum population that Flatbush and Queens do. Specifically Queens is filled with unaffiliated Bucharians. Queens is just missing the heavy chassidish presence that Monsey has. I would think the fact that Flatbush has Chassidim all the way through the total unaffiliated would make them the most diverse.

amother
Anemone

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 7:59 pm
amother Tan wrote:
Yes, Monsey. We are Litvish, Chassidish, Heimish, MO and Chabad living on the same block and get along beautifully bh

That’s nice, I thought Monsey was very largely chassidish these days.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 8:00 pm
I live in far rockaway. We definitely have a mix. But we keep to ourselves.

amother
Canary

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 8:18 pm
I'm in Bayswater (technically part of Far Rockaway but really a separate area). It's close to Far Rockaway and the 5 towns so we have all the Jewish amenities but the immediate neighborhood has a lot of diversity. There are Modern Orthodox individuals but I don't think there's a MO shul so I assume that segment is going to shrink. There's a yeshiva with yeshivish people, a small chassidish presence, a larger modern-chassidish group, quite a number of Israelis, Sephardim including groups of Syrian, Moroccan, and Bukharian origin, and I think the majority of the neighborhood would identify as "JPF." I do wish there were an MO shul to keep the balance going but I already see fewer families sending to the MO schools from here, the MO people are aging and not getting replaced. But overall there's a lot of diversity.

As for non-Jews, there are very many. It's a very diverse neighborhood. There's not a ton of mixing though. You'll be neighborly toward your neighbors and say good morning/ evening to the people you pass on the street but it doesn't usually go deeper than that. The non-jews in our neighborhood seem decent overall but we're right near a much sketchier area with high crime so we don't really take the city busses or trains. We do share the nearby Target, Costco, strip malls, etc. We're on friendly terms with the flat fix place in the hood (lots of construction around I guess. I never had so many flat tires until I moved here. Not slashed, mostly screws and broken glass) and the non-Jewish guy who works for the (coincidentally Jewish) plumber. We share the library as you describe in OP but I'm taking my kids there much less because I'm concerned about liberal agendas. We recently got a Jewish library in the neighborhood I think we'll join.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 9:29 pm
amother Fuchsia wrote:
I find the upper west side to be be diverse. My daughters best friends are all in different schools (with different hashkafahs) and we have friends from across the religious spectrum

Nice!

And you pay what rental for a 3 bedroom, or what purchase price for a 3 bedroom?

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 9:29 pm
Yes, if you live between McDonald and ocean parkway foster and bay parkway there’s everything. A lot of chasidish, Syrian, Italian, litfish, few chabad, Uzbeks, Arab, modern chasidish. So many kids go to so many different schools. Generally people in the neighborhood are more open minded. There are definitely a few blocks I can think of that kids and parents won’t have more than a hi bye relationship with you if you have internet but for the most part it’s a beautiful mixed neighborhood.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 9:33 pm
There were less shuls and schools back then. So everyone had no choice but to use the few that were around. Now there are so many choices most people pick the one most perfect for them so you end up separated into groups.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries