Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
How much phonics are your kids schools teaching
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Cappuccino

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 8:51 pm
amother OP wrote:
Nice try.

With a response like this don't expect any more info on my part. Enjoy your research.....

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 8:53 pm
amother Burgundy wrote:
What is phonics

Phonics is learning which letters represent which sounds in spoken language. At the basic level it's B makes the first sound in the word ball. It's learning how to sound out words. There are lots of phonics rules.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 8:55 pm
amother Cappuccino wrote:
With a response like this don't expect any more info on my part. Enjoy your research.....

You know, come to think of it, maybe I should start writing for magazines. You seem to think I would do very well 😉

Just realized you are the poster who was so gracious to shed some light on this. Sorry for the snark. No. I really don't write for any magazines. I never did. (I actually tried once a decade ago) I just love to learn and understand is all. I used to as a teen go around polling ppl. I read a lot and ask a lot of questions. It's just who I am 🙂

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 8:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
Phonics is learning which letters represent which sounds in spoken language. At the basic level it's B makes the first sound in the word ball. It's learning how to sound out words. There are lots of phonics rules.

I wonder if my kids are learning it.
They have an amazing curriculum and learn how to read quickly but I don’t think they have a separate subject called phonics.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 9:01 pm
amother Burgundy wrote:
They have an amazing curriculum and learn how to read quickly but I don’t think they have a separate subject called phonics.

Where do you live? In the States?

Do they know the sounds of the alphabet? What is on the curriculum? Curious.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 9:05 pm
amother Burgundy wrote:

It's not always a separate curriculum. I just remembered that my kids' kindergarten teacher actually has a phonics dance, they have classic letterbooks, etc but totally forgot pre-K they also learn each letter individually with the sound it makes because the word "phonics" wasn't mentioned. Probably nursery too.

I really don't think about it much. BH our school has a decent literacy program. I just looked at the series we use from 1st through 6th grade. It presents itself as "building skills with phonemic awareness, phonics and word study, vocabulary, comprehension, and writing…"

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 9:07 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
It's not always a separate curriculum. I just remembered that my kids' kindergarten teacher actually has a phonics dance, they have classic letterbooks, etc but totally forgot pre-K they also learn each letter individually with the sound it makes because the word "phonics" wasn't mentioned. Probably nursery too.

I really don't think about it much. BH our school has a decent literacy program. I just looked at the series we use from 1st through 6th grade. It presents itself as "building skills with phonemic awareness, phonics and word study, vocabulary, comprehension, and writing…"

That sounds very comprehensive. Would you mind telling me the name of the company?

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 9:08 pm
amother OP wrote:
Where do you live? In the States?

Do they know the sounds of the alphabet? What is on the curriculum? Curious.

Of course they know the sounds. My 4th grader is reading since pre 1 a. My first grader is still learning. I don’t know what the curriculum is called. They teach the “zippity zappers” and “sight words” and interesting techniques to teach the kids when a vowel says what.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 9:16 pm
amother Burgundy wrote:
Of course they know the sounds. My 4th grader is reading since pre 1 a. My first grader is still learning. I don’t know what the curriculum is called. They teach the “zippity zappers” and “sight words” and interesting techniques to teach the kids when a vowel says what.

Zippity zapper is definitely phonics.

Sight words isn't

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 9:19 pm
amother OP wrote:
Zippity zapper is definitely phonics.

Sight words isn't

They also have something about a “Mr. E” where an e at the end of the word changes the vowel sound

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 9:27 pm
amother OP wrote:
That sounds very comprehensive. Would you mind telling me the name of the company?

Starting in 1st grade they use Journeys from HMH

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 9:28 pm
amother Burgundy wrote:
They also have something about a “Mr. E” where an e at the end of the word changes the vowel sound

We call it the magic e 😉

amother
Blueberry

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 9:30 pm
OP, are you asking if reading is taught via teaching phonics?

My kids' schools taught reading with a heavy reliance on sight words, a few phonics rules and a bit of a mix of both. (Ex. memorizing groups of similar words.)

All my kids but one learned to read with this method. The one who didn't was falling farther behind and clearly, the method was not working for him. He just wasn't picking it up. In third grade we got him an Orton gillingham certified tutor, which is essentially strict phonics, phonics rules that even I never learned back in the early '80s. B"h it worked like magic. Today he is a high schooler and an avid reader.

My opinion, based on this and the research I've done, is that most kids can learn to read without learning phonics but a not-insignificant minority will struggle.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 9:48 pm
amother Blueberry wrote:
OP, are you asking if reading is taught via teaching phonics?

My kids' schools taught reading with a heavy reliance on sight words, a few phonics rules and a bit of a mix of both. (Ex. memorizing groups of similar words.)

All my kids but one learned to read with this method. The one who didn't was falling farther behind and clearly, the method was not working for him. He just wasn't picking it up. In third grade we got him an Orton gillingham certified tutor, which is essentially strict phonics, phonics rules that even I never learned back in the early '80s. B"h it worked like magic. Today he is a high schooler and an avid reader.

My opinion, based on this and the research I've done, is that most kids can learn to read without learning phonics but a not-insignificant minority will struggle.

Interesting. So there really are schools that don't teach that much phonics. Thanks for sharing!

Just want to say that I don't really know enough to have an opinion. I've taught a few challanged readers and they needed phonics but it doesn't prove anything. Clearly some kids do need phonics. I'm much more intuitively inclined to just allowing a kid to not figure out a word so they should enjoy reading, honestly. That's my nature and intuition so I see both sides.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 9:53 pm
I should mention there are sight word lists that they give in Kindergarten in addition to the phonics based learning.
We have Title 1 teachers that I don't know their training but also an Orton-Gillingham trained resource room teacher. I didn't know enough until the comment above that this is a phonics based instruction as well.

I'm enjoying this thread to understand more about what my kids' school is doing 😃

amother
Blueberry

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 9:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
Interesting. So there really are schools that don't teach that much phonics. Thanks for sharing!

Just want to say that I don't really know enough to have an opinion. I've taught a few challanged readers and they needed phonics but it doesn't prove anything. Clearly some kids do need phonics. I'm much more intuitively inclined to just allowing a kid to not figure out a word so they should enjoy reading, honestly. That's my nature and intuition so I see both sides.

Mayor Adams in NYC announced last school year a new reading program.

Here's a link
https://abc7ny.com/new-york-ci.....6738/

amother
NeonPurple

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 10:01 pm
I wrote the name of a wonderful frum phonics based company

Read Right

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 10:02 pm
amother Blueberry wrote:
Mayor Adams in NYC announced last school year a new reading program.

Here's a link
https://abc7ny.com/new-york-ci.....6738/

Thanks for posting!

mpk

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 10:03 pm
My boys’ yeshiva teaches balanced literacy.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 10:03 pm
Anyone else remember the Hooked on Phonics commercials? 😂
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics