Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Have you read Harry Potter?

If you like to read, did you read the Harry Potter series?
Yes all of them  
 77%  [ 138 ]
Some, lost interest  
 9%  [ 17 ]
Some, then not kosher enough to continue  
 0%  [ 1 ]
No, I don't read this kind of thing  
 7%  [ 14 ]
No, Maybe one day  
 3%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 177

devorah1231

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 8:36 pm
My bro in law was on a plane next to someone reading it. Wondering jff how many of us have.

GLUE

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 8:40 pm
I started reading them as they were coming out and never finished because by the time the 5 or 6th book came out I lost interest.

My kids read them one after the other so they finished them

North Star

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 10:01 pm
Where’s the poll answer for “yes, over and over and over”?

peace2

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 10:12 pm
North Star wrote:

This! Everyone in my family (except one sister who constantly gets made fun of for it) has read it multiple times

DrMom

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 10:16 pm
I read a couple of them when my oldest got them as a gift. I thought they were engaging and fun, but I didn't understand the huge hype.

Overall, I was pleased that there is worldwide hype over an actual kids' book, as opposed to a video game or app.

seeker

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 12:04 am
I was a kid/teen who loved to read when they were coming out, loved to read each book as it was released, still enjoy rereading occasionally (can't enjoy too often because I know them too well already.)

But I wonder if I would enjoy them as much if my first exposure was as an adult. I do know adults who were just as into it when it came out, but also many others who just couldn't get the hype. Currently my kids are obsessed with the Keeper of the Lost Cities series, and while I like to keep tabs on what they're reading, I just can't muster the patience for one long book after another of made up creatures and powers. I kinda sorta get it but it doesn't seem interesting, well written, or thought provoking to me. I can't tell whether I'm too old and jaded for magic or if it's that my kids are actually obsessed with garbage. Maybe I'll start a spinoff...

devorah1231

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 9:16 am
seeker wrote:
I was a kid/teen who loved to read when they were coming out, loved to read each book as it was released, still enjoy rereading occasionally (can't enjoy too often because I know them too well already.)

But I wonder if I would enjoy them as much if my first exposure was as an adult. I do know adults who were just as into it when it came out, but also many others who just couldn't get the hype. Currently my kids are obsessed with the Keeper of the Lost Cities series, and while I like to keep tabs on what they're reading, I just can't muster the patience for one long book after another of made up creatures and powers. I kinda sorta get it but it doesn't seem interesting, well written, or thought provoking to me. I can't tell whether I'm too old and jaded for magic or if it's that my kids are actually obsessed with garbage. Maybe I'll start a spinoff...

Fyi keeper of the lost cities is trash... I don't know how physical it gets but the love triangle business was a major turn off so I stopped reading them.

SweetAngel

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 9:20 am
North Star wrote:

Yessss I can practically recite them back by heart!

InnerPrincess

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 9:28 am
SweetAngel wrote:
Yessss I can practically recite them back by heart!

Same here....

hodeez

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 9:32 am
Read them? I inhaled them, read the series a few times over

ittsamother

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 9:37 am
When I was in 2nd grade or so my mother brought home the first book for me, as a small fat book, and told me, "I heard people really like this book, give it a try." So I read the first chapter, it really shlepped, and I lost interest. Then that summer or the next someone showed me she had the first few of the series, and that piqued my interest again because I love books that are in a series- that way if I enjoy the first book I know I have more to look forward to! I raced through them one after the next, and then I had to wait miserably until each new one came out and I could borrow it from my bungalow neighbor. Finally, when the last one came out my mother actually bought it because she knew we kids were desperate to read it asap. I've read the books again randomly since then, never straight thru from beginning to end. Might be time to make a project of it tho it's a lot harder to find the time these days!

BadTichelDay

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 9:38 am
When they first came out, I saw the hype and thought that they must be rubbish. I didn't read any. Then, more than 10 years later, I was pregnant, nervous and couldn't sleep well at night. Dh had them lying around in some corner. I started reading them just to have something to distract me and couldn't stop. Have re-read them quite a few times since.

pinkpeonies

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 9:53 am
I read them as they came out , over and over and over and grew up with them. The movies are garbage, literally nothing like the books!!

wazup

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 10:06 am
hodeez wrote:

same!!!!!!
can literally quote them by heart

Roots

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 10:12 am
hodeez wrote:

haha
me too
and all my siblings
we all read them as they were comign out
I still remeber the news reporting about the long lines outaide barnsand noble and the public library when they came out

shanie5

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 1:21 pm
I had to wait in line to read them after my kids finshed them.
I remember when one of the books was coming out on shabbos. We knew we'd have to wait until sunday to get it. But shabbos morning I came downstairs and saw it standing up on display on our dining room table. I yelled upstairs to my kids as I was as excited as they were. My non jewish neighbor knew how crazy my kids were about the series and bought it as soon as it went on sale. After dh left for shul, they came in and put it on our table to be found. (Yes, they were welcome to come in without knocking).

seeker

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 1:42 pm
shanie5 wrote:
I had to wait in line to read them after my kids finshed them.
I remember when one of the books was coming out on shabbos. We knew we'd have to wait until sunday to get it. But shabbos morning I came downstairs and saw it standing up on display on our dining room table. I yelled upstairs to my kids as I was as excited as they were. My non jewish neighbor knew how crazy my kids were about the series and bought it as soon as it went on sale. After dh left for shul, they came in and put it on our table to be found. (Yes, they were welcome to come in without knocking).
wow that is super sweet neighbor action!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics