Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Would you be complimented to be called a doll?
1  2  Next

Do you think being called a doll is complimentary?
Yes  
 48%  [ 49 ]
No  
 27%  [ 28 ]
Depends  
 24%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 102

puzzle

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 1:49 am
And why?

ETA: What about in modern Hebrew? Are there different connotations?

Last edited by puzzle on Thu, Sep 28 2023, 4:06 am; edited 1 time in total

DrMom

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 2:10 am
I think it's kind of weird.

Sounds like something that a 1920s gangster would call his girlfriend.

BadTichelDay

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 2:18 am
I'd be mortally offended. It sounds belittling and objectifying to me. I want to be taken serious, I've been an adult for a long time and cuteness is absolutely not on my self-expression list.

2cents

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 2:23 am
Meh. It's just an expression. "Thanks a million, you're such a doll". I'd appreciate the compliment and move on.

writinggirl

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 3:30 am
Sounds syrupy and patronizing to me. Unless you’re in the South.

Busybee5

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 3:35 am
My Aunt says doll sometimes, like the expression above. How are you doll? And then ask me a question or whatever. I don't mind that she does, but for random people is weird imo

banana123

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 5:20 am
puzzle wrote:
And why?

ETA: What about in modern Hebrew? Are there different connotations?

In English, no, absolutely not.

In Hebrew it's used to connote cuteness and almost only in the context of a child. So yes. Unless you are referring to a puppet, but that's different and it's said differently.

banana123

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 5:20 am
2cents wrote:
Meh. It's just an expression. "Thanks a million, you're such a doll". I'd appreciate the compliment and move on.

Are you British or South African?

ima_bima

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 6:24 am
Depends. Are we talking Barbie doll or Cabbage Patch Kid?

scintilla

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 6:37 am
It's totally cultural. If someone is calling you a doll, 99% chance they are from or have been exposed to a culture where that's just another way of saying that you're nice. It doesn't have any weird connotations. I live in Brooklyn but grew up elsewhere where it's a normal compliment and I definitely say it sometimes. Generally when someone has been really nice to me, gone out of their way for me, done a favor etc it's not something I would say just about appearance or similar.

SnowLeopard

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 7:21 am
Okay.
Think about a nice South African lady saying the following: Thanks, you are such a doll!
Vs.
An older guy with slicked hair and a raspy voice: come ‘ere doll.

Mommyflower

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 7:45 am
It's Frum speak and totally acceptable in many circles (used differently from creepy, gangster guys), said mostly by women. I couldn't picture a frum man calling a woman a doll.

kenz

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 7:56 am
It just means you’re such a sweetheart- definitely a compliment if said by an otherwise normal person.

2cents

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 8:38 am
banana123 wrote:
Are you British or South African?

Lol. No. Flatbush.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 8:40 am
Sure. Why not ? Ive been told I look like a doll, and it sounds like a compliment to me . And if someone says to me ,” you’re such a doll !” Then they are telling me I’m nice, so that’s a compliment too.

44now

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 8:50 am
No, I hate when people call me that. A doll is a stuffed idiot.

zaq

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 9:12 am
In my lexicon, as in that of 2cents, a doll is an exceptionally nice person, somewhere between a good egg and an angel. I even apply the term to men, but not in their hearing because they think it means an attractive woman.

I would be offended if someone tried to get my attention by calling me "hey, doll." That's another thing entirely.

zaq

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 9:19 am
Now if someone called me a Barbie doll (which would never happen as I most resemble Raggedy Ann), I would take that to mean that they consider me shallow, vain and empty-headed.

Queen Of Hearts

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 9:40 am
Usually telling someone they're a doll is intended as a compliment. Unless its some creepy guy on the street (which is technically an unwanted compliment).
So yes, I would take it as a compliment.

Busybee5

Post Thu, Sep 28 2023, 9:44 am
zaq wrote:
Now if someone called me a Barbie doll (which would never happen as I most resemble Raggedy Ann), I would take that to mean that they consider me shallow, vain and empty-headed.

LOL
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics