Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Cast-Iron Potato Kugel - Question

Amarante

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 1:23 pm
I haven't made this recipe but it appears as one of the top rated recipes from 2022 from Southern Living.

I know that cooking in a cast iron pan produces a very distinctive result - for example corn bread in a cast iron pan is really delicious.

I am wondering if this is worth trying - I am thinking that it would produce a very crusty result - more like a latke because some Mac surface would be exposed

I am attaching a picture of it from the magazine and it is much flatter than a normal kugel.

Any thoughts?

Cast-Iron Potato Kugel

Excerpt From: Southern Living 2022 Annual Recipes

ACTIVE 30 MIN. - TOTAL 1 HOUR, 30 MIN.

SERVES 8
4 lb. russet potatoes, peeled and cut into medium-size chunks
1 large (12-oz.) yellow onion, peeled and cut into chunks
1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. black pepper
½ cup peanut oil, canola oil, or chicken schmaltz (rendered chicken fat), divided
6 large eggs
Chopped fresh chives

1. Place a 10-inch cast-iron skillet in oven; preheat oven to 400°F. Grate potatoes and onion using shredding disk attachment on a food processor or large holes of a box grater. Working in 4 or 5 batches, place shredded potatoes and onion in a cheesecloth or clean, lint-free kitchen towel; squeeze out liquid into a large glass bowl. Place squeezed potato mixture in a large clean bowl; repeat procedure with remaining potato mixture. Let liquid stand for 5 minutes; starch will settle in bottom of bowl.

2. Carefully pour off and discard liquid, leaving starch in bowl. Scrape starch into bowl with potato mixture. Add salt, pepper, and ¼ cup of the oil; stir to combine. Place eggs in a medium bowl; beat with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until foamy, 1 minute. Pour into potato mixture; toss to combine.

3. Remove skillet from oven. Add 2 tablespoons of the oil to pan; tilt to completely coat bottom and slightly up sides. Gently spoon potato mixture into hot pan (don’t pack it in). Drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Bake in preheated oven until crispy on top and tender in center, 55 minutes to 1 hour.

Let stand 5 minutes. Top with chives; slice and serve warm.

wigboutique

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 9:20 am
From my experience of making kugel, everything looks on point and accurate in terms of the recipe. Sounds delicious. If you want a thicker kugel go for a pan with higher sides and smaller length like le creuset. I think I will make it myself one day - will save. Thanks

Amarante

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 10:22 pm
wigboutique wrote:
From my experience of making kugel, everything looks on point and accurate in terms of the recipe. Sounds delicious. If you want a thicker kugel go for a pan with higher sides and smaller length like le creuset. I think I will make it myself one day - will save. Thanks

Thank you for your insight.

I actually LIKE the idea of a thinner kugel with more crust as I prefer crunch to mush Smile

That is why I was thinking that the cast iron would create a nice crunch - also the thinner slices are almost elegant and would make a nicer side that isn't so mammoth and filling.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes