Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Silver Spring, MD or Baltimore

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 8:04 pm
We might need to move to one of these areas. Can anyone give me a rundown on neighborhoods? Schools? Community?
Kids of both genders. We aren't strictly yeshivish.
What is cost of living? 3-4 BR home? Average income? How focused on externals- updated homes, up to date fashion? We don't buy whole wardrobes with matching socks and headbands each season- just when needed. And I tend to buy mix and match tights/headbands- not per outfit. I have no throw pillows on my couch or centerpieces on my table. Low key, low externals... would we fit in?
What should someone know before moving? (Ie high crime, high taxes, can't get into schools ...)

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 1:03 am
Silver spring in general costs more than Baltimore.
I can speak more about Baltimore as I live there....
Baltimore is so diverse--cost of housing really depends where, what neighborhood, what street. In general housing has risen a lot in the past couple years. I know someone who just bought a small 4 bedroom house closer to the edge of the frum community for $350, but the same house on a different street, would be closer to $600. (And 3 years ago would have been $250)

Again with clothing, Baltimore is a mix. You have the NY in type crowd with all their kids matching, etc. and you have the crowd which is happy getting hand me downs and don't care if their kids are all wearing the same shirt--just that they look neat and clean.

There is no average income.

Cost of living has gone up along with the rest of the world. Housing is more expensive than it was 3 years ago, as is food, tuition, etc.

Baltimore is split into 2 counties--Baltimore City and Baltimore County. Taxes are higher in the city, but housing is more expensive in the county (in general). Unfortunately there is crime --but mostly teens looking for mischief and fun. I'd say more in the city, but the county is not crime free either.

Getting into schools is not as much of an issue. Bnos Yisroel has a cap how many they take and when they hit the cap they don't take more. Some grades have more space than others. Bais Yaakov rarely turns away. Same with the local boys schools.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 2:29 am
Thanks so much. Can you explain the different neighborhoods in Baltimore? I was trying to look on zillow but didn't know where frum families live. Particularly interested in areas that are low key and not as materialistic as the NY crowd...

I know prices went up recently on everything but...
How much is a gallon of gas?
Taxes on a home? (%)
Utilities on a 3 BR home?
Price per pound on chicken?

Trying to compare costs to our current city.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Oct 11 2023, 12:35 pm
Quote:
Thanks so much. Can you explain the different neighborhoods in Baltimore? I was trying to look on zillow but didn't know where frum families live. Particularly interested in areas that are low key and not as materialistic as the NY crowd...

I know prices went up recently on everything but...
How much is a gallon of gas?
Taxes on a home? (%)
Utilities on a 3 BR home?
Price per pound on chicken?

Trying to compare costs to our current city.

It is so diverse and large. I live on one end and relative on the other and we're 2.5 miles apart. You can go from basically Glen Ave to Reisterstown Road to Old court road (I believe there are some pioneers past) almost to the 695 off of Greenspring Blvd (there are side streets there) and down smith basically until the beazer (a developement). I probably didn't get it all....
There is also a small community near TA and a small community OUTSIDE of ner yisroel.

The area most low key and heimish is probably the upper park heights area. That would be between Glen and seven mile lane. Reisterstown road and Cross country blvd.

I don't remember how much I paid on gas when I last filled up, but I think it was mid-upper $3s range.
taxes are higher in the city ($2.248 per $100 of assessed property) lower in the county ($1.10 per $100 of assessed value)
Utilities range in city and county (water is cheaper in the county) and a 3 bedroom home could be 3 tiny rooms or 3 massive rooms. Also makes a difference of you have central or gas heating.
Chicken is expensive in the frum stores. I've been buying kosher chicken from BJs and it's $11.99 for a 4lb bag of frozen thighs and $12.99 for a 2lb bag of frozen cutlets. Costo also has deals.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating