Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
I take my kids on road trips without my husband. AMA
1  2  Next

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 11:03 am
My husband stays home and works (AKA: enjoys the peace and quiet) and joins us for shabbos. I take some or all of the kids.
Any questions?

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 11:16 am
oh my goodness. I don't have any specific questions, just would love to hear all about it. my husband would love to travel and I'm often the party pooper and yet you do it even without your husband, please share your wisdom!

amother
Pansy

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 11:34 am
Do you ever miss him or wish he could have joined you on the trips ?

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 11:38 am
amother Pansy wrote:
Do you ever miss him or wish he could have joined you on the trips ?

Of course I miss him!! And there are times that I wish he would join, but overall I’m happy with this. He doesn’t need to get out as much as I do- he works out of the house, and he travels frequently-ish. Also, we live in NY and as much as I love my specific community, I still (even after all these years) detest NY and need to get out. He doesn’t need to get out as badly as I do. I also spent a lot of my childhood traveling with my grandparents, and I gets antsy after being in one place for so long.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 11:43 am
amother Cobalt wrote:
oh my goodness. I don't have any specific questions, just would love to hear all about it. my husband would love to travel and I'm often the party pooper and yet you do it even without your husband, please share your wisdom!

Well, it just kind of happened. We used to go together. I would plan everything and he would drive. Then one year he needed to get home early and I dropped him off at the airport and drove home. After that, I was t scared to do it on my own. The kids don’t all always come. No wisdoms, just craziness. We take multiple iPads and some of the kids have their own phones. We used to stay in hotels, but now we usually do airbnb. The benefit to a hotel is that it has a pool. The benefit to a house is…well, it’s a house!! I don’t have to worry about leaving my kids alone in the room, or making too much noise….we don’t have to go find a place to BBQ, we can just do it in the front or back. And I can also bring real food if I want, and I can use the oven and microwave and stove. Getting one house with a few rooms is less expensive than getting 2 or three hotels rooms, or a multi room suit.

amother
Wallflower

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 5:18 pm
Do you drive or r it car services.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 5:20 pm
Where have you gone
What age kids

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 5:20 pm
You seem so capable as a mother and as a person. I’m jealous!

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 5:23 pm
amother Wallflower wrote:
Do you drive or r it car services.

I drove :-) The only time I don’t drive is if my husband is driving.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 5:24 pm
amother Cornsilk wrote:
Where have you gone
What age kids

Hmmmm…..let’s see. Do you want states we’ve driven through, or states we’ve slept in, or states we’ve actually done something in?

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 5:26 pm
amother Cornsilk wrote:
Where have you gone
What age kids

Oops, forgot to answer the second question. The first time I did it alone, my kids were (I think!) 3, 6, and 8. Now those kids are 11, 14, and 16, and we have two more!!

amother
Cornsilk

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 5:27 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
Hmmmm…..let’s see. Do you want states we’ve driven through, or states we’ve slept in, or states we’ve actually done something in?

Destinations

Do you stay in one place a few days or constantly on the move?

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 5:54 pm
amother Turquoise wrote:
You seem so capable as a mother and as a person. I’m jealous!

Awww, thanks!!! Some things I get right, and some things I don’t.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 6:09 pm
amother Cornsilk wrote:
Destinations

Do you stay in one place a few days or constantly on the move?

Originally we did one place every day. We would go somewhere, stay overnight and do something there or on the way to the next place, and then go to the next place. Also originally we were going to Florida every summer, and we would stay with my parents for shabbos. Lately, we’ve been doing one place, and doing different things there every day.
So far we have been to:
NY
NJ
PA
DE
MD
VA
WV
NC
SC
GA
FL
AL
TN
MI
RI
NH
MA
VT

We’ve driven through
KY
OH
CT

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 6:11 pm
amother Cobalt wrote:

I have a friend who rents an RV and does real road trips, like cross country, for like a month or more!! She just takes her girls, and maybe her husband and boys meet them for shabbos, I’m not sure. This year, she took her girls to Europe!! I know her husband met her at some point, and they didn’t do a huge trip, but that’s my dream. That and cross country.

mushkamothers

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 6:13 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
Oops, forgot to answer the second question. The first time I did it alone, my kids were (I think!) 3, 6, and 8. Now those kids are 11, 14, and 16, and we have two more!!

When do you go and for how long - during school break, during off season times for cheaper rates, based on weather?

amother
DarkGreen

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 6:22 pm
What is the longest you've driven without stopping? For me, 4 hours is stretching it and if DH isn't available to trade off, I'm really nervous. I'd love to be able to do roadtrip without being dependent on his schedule, though.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 6:47 pm
mushkamothers wrote:
When do you go and for how long - during school break, during off season times for cheaper rates, based on weather?

We go at the end of the summer, in between camp and school. We used to also drive to my parents for part of pesach and succos, but we haven’t done that in many many many years, and it was either straiGht through (my husband drove the whole thing) or we stopped one night overnight.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 6:48 pm
amother DarkGreen wrote:
What is the longest you've driven without stopping? For me, 4 hours is stretching it and if DH isn't available to trade off, I'm really nervous. I'd love to be able to do roadtrip without being dependent on his schedule, though.

Well, we always have to stop- bathroom stops (girls can’t do the bottle thing!) or gas…..the longest planned drive was about 6 hours I think. I try not to do more than 4 or 4.5 in one day.

small bean

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 8:17 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
My husband stays home and works (AKA: enjoys the peace and quiet) and joins us for shabbos. I take some or all of the kids.
Any questions?

I do this also..so much fun!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics