Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
How much to push kids to daven at home?
Previous  1  2

amother
Gladiolus

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 7:48 pm
Brachos and shema

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 7:54 pm
I wouldn’t push at all at that age, I would encourage, maybe give a small treat for davening , but nothing more than that. My daughter is 10 and we are just starting to push a little bit that she daven something every day.

amother
Bluebell

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 7:56 pm
I have littles but my 5 year old davens everyday that he is not in school. But I do it with him. To be fair I start this w my kids when they are really small. So they actually know how to daven quiet a bit at an early age. It's not something he thinks about. We get up, wash our hands, change and daven. Before anything else. Sometimes if he's hungry he'll have some cheerios first. But usually he doesn't want to eat first thing anyway.

amother
Cognac

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 8:03 pm
First of all EVERY KID IS DIFFERENT and you really need to consider that. Some kids can't be pushed AT ALL.

A few things I have done with my kids that worked:

One child I see it helps if I daven with them.
Another thing that helps this child is rewards from school but I wouldn't on my own give rewards for davening.
Another thing that helps this child is to tell him/her that they only need to daven one thing, it could even be Modern Ani. Usually once they start they get into it and daven everything.

I don't even force.

Another child rarely ever davened. ADHD and Kriah issues and anxiety. They rarely went to shul until they turned Bar Mitzvah. Now BH they take davening seriously.

You can't control if your child will daven or not. Not at 7 or if they will love davening and daven when they are 27 but at least you can do your best to encourage them and not make davening something they hate.

amother
Skyblue

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 9:28 pm
amother Gladiolus wrote:
Brachos and shema

Exactly what I tell my girls, if they say they don't really want to daven, it's too long I say how about brachos and shema? And then I back off!

amother
Peony

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 10:14 pm
I never ever push davening!!! I personally have a very difficult time davening
I gently and happily remind my children to daven and I buy special davening treats every shabbos for anyone who davened. I don’t make a big deal about it, it’s just there for whenever they are finished davening

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 10:21 pm
I think kids should be pushed....a little.

I don't like teaching kids that mitzvos are optional,
Only if they are in the mood.

I sit with younger kids and davven with them,
And they get a davening treat after.

Never had any resistance.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children