Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Chol Hamoed trips- they want to go expensive places

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 10:10 am
My kids used to be little and they were happy to take a train or bus to a nice park and have a pretty much free chol hamoed trip. One day of chol hamoed we would spend more money but the rest of the days we kept it free or cheap.

Now I have 7 kids, ranging in age from infant to 18. And they each have different interests. So all of them are happy with going to a nice park one day, as long as a different day we go to the one place they want to go. One teenager was crying because not all my kids want to go to the trampoline park she wants to go to. There are better trampoline parks, but they cost even more money and they are only open from 4 pm. The cheaper one near us is not so exciting for my other kids.

Some of my kids only want to go to the zoo, and it's not a cheap zoo. They're okay with going to the park one day as long as we make it to the zoo too. And one of my kids only wants to go to Amish town, and another only wants to go to a farm that has apple picking and a corn maze and other activities.

I am not a millionaire. How can I skip one kids dream trip? I can't choose one kids' trip over another. But on the other hand, how can I pay for all these expensive trips every day?

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 10:18 am
Same here

I told my kids ages 10 and up to decide together on a good family trip and when they all agree they should tell me

It worked yesterday

Today my 2 teenage daughters are asking me for $80 each to go to a concert with friends!
$80??? When I used to go to concerts I bought $25 tickets and that was a big treat.

Not sure what to do.

Another kid wants to go to a free carnival today…

I think it’s an issue in many people’s homes.

“What are we doing today??????” Over and over again.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 10:26 am
Write down the ideas that cost money on slips of paper, and draw one out of a container. Or as many as you wish to choose.
Not everyone will be happy, but at least it's somewhat fair.

amother
Narcissus

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 10:43 am
Or give each a budget and let them go where they want
Let’s say $25 ea(yes it’s a lot and adds up with a large family ) and if tickets cost $80 they can pay for the rest with their savings

Oh and unless at least 3 kids want to go you won’t be driving them all over the place, so they need to figure it out

Some of my kids would pocket the money and opt for a free outing, lol. But I live in S. Fl. and free means inviting friends to the pool

amother
Dimgray

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 10:58 am
I completely relate. When the kids are little, sweet outings work. But, as they get older, it just doesn’t work. They need more. And trips are minimum $26-$40+ per child. Even the zoo is expensive.
My kids are pretty accepting, but I feel very bad.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 11:37 am
I got free tickets to the aquarium today. No one wants to go so I’m not taking them. It’s not like I want to be at the aquarium anyway….

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 11:41 am
I'm the summer we got membership to the Bronx Zoo and it's not so expensive if you go multiple times. If you live close by or have a zoo or gardens or aquarium with membership that can be really nice.

If you live in Monsey or nearby Family Fun Farm is good for kids up to teens. Has lots of different things.

That's all I have now.

amother
Kiwi

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 12:47 pm
I finally gave in and did camelback. $189 for 2 days one night, room sleeps 8 and includes 8 passes for the waterpark for both days. Happily suited my 5-17 crowd. Would've stayed longer if dh could take off from work. It came down to less than $12/pp per day. We brought food to keep it cheap.

amother
Burntblack

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 1:14 pm
If you can't you can't.
We can't, we don't own a car. Public transportation only takes you so far and is often long and impractical. We don't eat or drink put of a sukkah and the little ones need ready bathrooms.
We stay close to home and I try to find some extra fun activities.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 1:31 pm
amother Kiwi wrote:
I finally gave in and did camelback. $189 for 2 days one night, room sleeps 8 and includes 8 passes for the waterpark for both days. Happily suited my 5-17 crowd. Would've stayed longer if dh could take off from work. It came down to less than $12/pp per day. We brought food to keep it cheap.

The whole family sleeps in one room?
Is there a sukkah?

amother
Strawberry

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 1:39 pm
I decided to work 3 days of Chol Hamoed so we could afford to go somewhere the other 2 days. Maybe something you can do to bring in some extra income? Yom tov is so expensive..

amother
Kiwi

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 1:57 pm
amother Slateblue wrote:
The whole family sleeps in one room?
Is there a sukkah?

There are 2 sukkahs. Depends on the type of room. I took the second lowest level room out of 6 options so there are suites with separate rooms. At my level, I had 4 kids in a separate bunk bed cove and the babies on the pull out couch next to our king bed. It was organized by a frum group, multiple minyanim, they provide cake, pastries, and coffee at shachris, and iyh if it goes well, they'll allow us to contract for next year with these unprecedented rates. Our room actually came with a folding bed too if we wanted to stick the little ones in the cove or have a 9th.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics