Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Is it possible for a 4 year old to be depressed

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 4:22 pm
She keeps randomly crying.

smss

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 4:27 pm
Hmm, can you tell us more? How long has this been going on? Any recent life changes or stressful events? Are you saying she cries out of nowhere or it just seems to not be warranted by the situation but she has a reason why she's sad?

bebrave

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 4:27 pm
How do you define depressed? Have you asked what's bothering her?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 4:31 pm
bebrave wrote:
How do you define depressed? Have you asked what's bothering her?

Yes shell come up with a booboo or something.
Yesterday she made up a story about how my sister hit her.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 4:33 pm
absolutely. I felt one of our kids was depressed from a really young age. they didn't cry but they only colored in black.

bebrave

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 4:33 pm
amother OP wrote:

Maybe insecure and in need of some more hugs and kisses.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 5:30 pm
I think it’s possible but usually in cases of trauma and neglect imo

amother
Tuberose

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 5:38 pm
amother OP wrote:

Is it possible she was hit? By your sister or someone else?

amother
Topaz

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 6:09 pm
Dysregulated nervous system, can be from infections, inflammation, etc

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 6:15 pm
amother Tuberose wrote:
Is it possible she was hit? By your sister or someone else?

No. I know this sister and she would never hit.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 6:15 pm
Yes, is possible for a 4-year-old to be depressed. But what you are describing doesn't sound like depression in a 4-year-old at all. It definitely sounds like she has more emotional needs.

As a parent, there is a lot you can do to help her. At this age, parenting makes the difference. I'm not saying you're a bad parent. I'm saying this child might need some special techniques that you can learn in order to help her.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 6:36 pm
Yes, it's possible. Depression can be due to a chemical imbalance in the brain, there doesn't have to be a specific reason to be depressed. I have a child who was diagnosed with depression at 7 years old, though it didn't necessarily present as classic depression. This doesn't mean your child is depressed, just that it is possible. If you're concerned speak to a professional.

pecan

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 6:37 pm
I'd take her for a physical checkup before assuming depression

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 6:40 pm
OP, when did the increased crying start?
How old are her other siblings?

amother
Tuberose

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 6:55 pm
amother OP wrote:
No. I know this sister and she would never hit.

Nobody believed me as a 4 year old when I said my grandfather touched me, because he would never do that and little kids must make up stories.

But sometimes there’s truth to it and your child could be giving hints to a real problem, so why not really listen?

I’d say if your daughter seems depressed, and she very possibly is, there’s likely a cause. Maybe she isn’t “making it up” and just is trying to tell you what’s wrong

dena613

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 6:57 pm
When did the crying start?
If it started around yom kippur or the start of sukkos, it's probably because she's dysregulated and off schedule.
My preschooler was a basket case once vacation began, but was amazing today because I've been very good Abt getting him to bed at a semi decent hour since second night of YT.

You mention your sister. Are you not home for YT? Are you sleeping out of your home and hanging out with more family than a typical day? That is also overwhelming, even to a generally happy child.

I wouldn't jump to depression so fast.

Get her back on a regular eating and sleeping schedule after YT and please check in a week after Sukkos if she's still crying all the time.

When kids cry they tend to be hungry, tired, bored, or overwhelmed. (Or needing the bathroom!)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 7:00 pm
amother Aqua wrote:
OP, when did the increased crying start?
How old are her other siblings?

Just now after yom tov I don't know what to do. She has a 9 month old sister. She loves her and has never showed jealousy towards her at all.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 7:05 pm
dena613 wrote:
When did the crying start?
If it started around yom kippur or the start of sukkos, it's probably because she's dysregulated and off schedule.
My preschooler was a basket case once vacation began, but was amazing today because I've been very good Abt getting him to bed at a semi decent hour since second night of YT.

You mention your sister. Are you not home for YT? Are you sleeping out of your home and hanging out with more family than a typical day? That is also overwhelming, even to a generally happy child.

I wouldn't jump to depression so fast.

Get her back on a regular eating and sleeping schedule after YT and please check in a week after Sukkos if she's still crying all the time.

When kids cry they tend to be hungry, tired, bored, or overwhelmed. (Or needing the bathroom!)

Were home now. But we stayed at my parents for first days. My sister played with her and that's what she's talking about.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 7:05 pm
amother OP wrote:
Just now after yom tov I don't know what to do. She has a 9 month old sister. She loves her and has never showed jealousy towards her at all.

you do your best to talk to her about what is making her cry - without putting any ideas into her head.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 7:09 pm
amother Tuberose wrote:
Nobody believed me as a 4 year old when I said my grandfather touched me, because he would never do that and little kids must make up stories.

But sometimes there’s truth to it and your child could be giving hints to a real problem, so why not really listen?

I’d say if your daughter seems depressed, and she very possibly is, there’s likely a cause. Maybe she isn’t “making it up” and just is trying to tell you what’s wrong

Curious how did you describe what happened to you to your parents?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics