Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
I’m the natural mom AMA
  1  2  3  20  21  22  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 5:53 pm
I closed the other thread because it became too hateful. I am not as extreme as everyone understood from my first post. Yes, compared to others I may be extreme. But everyone has their own definition… yes I have non negotiables but at the same time I am very balanced. And yes I know that everything is up to Hashem, this is what I believe is my hishtadlus for being healthy. I will ignore the hateful comments this time. I’m starting this if anyone has any serious questions because they want to understand or learn something or just a question for fun. I know these topics can become heated very quickly and that’s okay but if we can do it without saying negative and hurtful things that would be nice.

amother
Starflower

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 6:01 pm
what other thread?
there was a thread a few weeks ago of a mom in lakewood that was very natural, homesteaded but didnt have any friends. other than that I dont recall another heated natural thread

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 6:02 pm
What you mean by natural mom

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 6:04 pm
amother Starflower wrote:
what other thread?
there was a thread a few weeks ago of a mom in lakewood that was very natural, homesteaded but didnt have any friends. other than that I dont recall another heated natural thread

That was mine:) I have some friends but no one that lives nearby..

amother
Gladiolus

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 6:06 pm
Don't know which other thread so excuse me if you answered already. What got you started?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 6:07 pm
amother Aqua wrote:
What you mean by natural mom

No vaccines, no antibiotics, we don’t go to regular doctors, everything at home is organic and mostly homemade, homebirth…

hodeez

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 6:08 pm
Do you find it tiring living this lifestyle? Do you work?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 6:10 pm
amother Gladiolus wrote:
Don't know which other thread so excuse me if you answered already. What got you started?

We were having lots of issues. For Ex I had horrible acne and nausea from bc, husbands stomach always hurt him when he ate breads and grains, just in general we were not feeling our best. The thing that really pushed us to learn more and do research about the things we followed blindly for so long was my sons hospital birth that was natural delivery but not a very good experience and made us question everything.

amother
Starflower

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 6:11 pm
Wish there was a whatsapp or group me chat for like minded frum moms.
Fellow natural mommy here- learning as I go along on this journey we call life...

whats your typical shabbat menu?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 6:12 pm
hodeez wrote:
Do you find it tiring living this lifestyle? Do you work?

It’s not this lifestyle that is tiring to me. I love my life. Yes I do feel overwhelmed sometimes and sometimes I just need a break but that’s every mom no matter what they do.. the things I do every day are enjoyable for me. No thankfully I don’t work. If I did I would not have the time or strength to do everything I do.

cheese cake

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 6:14 pm
Fellow natural mommy here- learning as I go along on this journey we call life...

There is. Pm for details

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 6:22 pm

Yes it’s hard when you don’t know many other likeminded people that live nearby. Friday night we usually do chicken soup, sourdough, homemade dips. We don’t have a main every week, depends on what we are in the mood of. If we do it’s meat or chicken with a side. We basically eat all the normal foods just organic and homemade with real pure ingredients. And shabbos day we have Cholent with sourdough and dips.

amother
Starflower

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 6:26 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yes it’s hard when you don’t know many other likeminded people that live nearby. Friday night we usually do chicken soup, sourdough, homemade dips. We don’t have a main every week, depends on what we are in the mood of. If we do it’s meat or chicken with a side. We basically eat all the normal foods just organic and homemade with real pure ingredients. And shabbos day we have Cholent with sourdough and dips.

yes it is hard! seems there are whatsapp chats you can join though. im just not on whatsapp so I dont know any other like minded frum women.

would love a detailed sourdough recipe if you have time!

honey36

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 6:34 pm
I'm interested in the gardening/homesteading aspect of it. I do garden a few easy veggies in the summer, but really just for fun. Doesn't actually feed my family.

What produce do you grow yourself? Do you actually grow enough to feed your family or do you need to supplement from the grocery? What do you/can you even grow in the winter? Do you have fruit trees also or only veggies?

Do you really find there is a difference between "organic" produce from the super market and the regular produce? I thought in the U.S. the standards for labeling something organic is actually very low and they are basically the same thing?

Do you not find the organic produce like berries/green leafy veggies to be too infested to eat?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 6:38 pm
yes it is hard! seems there are whatsapp chats you can join though. im just not on whatsapp so I dont know any other like minded frum women.

would love a detailed sourdough recipe if you have time!

I don’t make sourdough like most other people. It’s not a long complicated process for me.. I learned after doing it for a few years it can be super easy. I mix everything together by hand in a glass bowl on a scale-takes about 5 minutes. Then just let it rise covered for about 5-6 hours on the counter and I try to stretch and fold at least twice. Then divide into 2, fold into a rectangle and put in two loaf pans. Let rise in the fridge overnight and bake the next morning. Or let rise at room temperature for like 8 hours, then shape and let rise for one more hour before baking. I also make fancier sourdough with the good crust in Dutch oven but that is a bit more time consuming. This is an awesome every day bread. I usually make the round crusty ones for shabbos. I will post recipe next. Also this recipe comes out so soft and yummy for challah for shabbos if you do the same but bake in Dutch oven instead.

amother
Blushpink

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 6:39 pm
There is a watsap chat called chochmas nashim. Asya mishory opened it to ppl who took her course of natural birth control FAM. It's such a great resource maybe 400 plus women on there with similar mind sets, some more than others.

amother
Starflower

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 6:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
I don’t make sourdough like most other people. It’s not a long complicated process for me.. I learned after doing it for a few years it can be super easy. I mix everything together by hand in a glass bowl on a scale-takes about 5 minutes. Then just let it rise covered for about 5-6 hours on the counter and I try to stretch and fold at least twice. Then divide into 2, fold into a rectangle and put in two loaf pans. Let rise in the fridge overnight and bake the next morning. Or let rise at room temperature for like 8 hours, then shape and let rise for one more hour before baking. I also make fancier sourdough with the good crust in Dutch oven but that is a bit more time consuming. This is an awesome every day bread. I usually make the round crusty ones for shabbos. I will post recipe next. Also this recipe comes out so soft and yummy for challah for shabbos if you do the same but bake in Dutch oven instead.

sounds easy enough! for this "easy' recipe how many grams of starter, water and flour do you use? what brand flour?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 6:48 pm
honey36 wrote:
I'm interested in the gardening/homesteading aspect of it. I do garden a few easy veggies in the summer, but really just for fun. Doesn't actually feed my family.

What produce do you grow yourself? Do you actually grow enough to feed your family or do you need to supplement from the grocery? What do you/can you even grow in the winter? Do you have fruit trees also or only veggies?

Do you really find there is a difference between "organic" produce from the super market and the regular produce? I thought in the U.S. the standards for labeling something organic is actually very low and they are basically the same thing?

Do you not find the organic produce like berries/green leafy veggies to be too infested to eat?

No right now we have chickens so fresh eggs and roosters we are raising for food. Our dream is to grow everything we eat.. hopefully soon we will be moving to a farm and then we can do a lot more.. like have a dairy cow and huge garden, fruit trees. And raise our own beef and chicken. We love permaculture and yes we want our farm to have tons of fruit trees. It’s not easy I know if takes a couple years to get everything going but it’s possible. We have friends who have their cows in their freezer lol and grow more than enough vegetables in the growing season. For the winter you can have greenhouses. We also feel like in the winter maybe we don’t need that many and veggies and we need to eat what we can get. Right now we rely on grocery for all ingredients but there’s no packaged food in my house or spices and condiments. Everything is homemade. I don’t believe that grocery organic is perfect but we hope it’s better than conventional. We also try to buy from farms and get our stuff from more reliable sources other than the grocery store. Regarding infestation I buy mostly stuff that you don’t have to worry about bugs. Certain seasons you will find that the greens are infested and sometimes they are super clean and easy to wash. we are far from vegan so it’s not very hard for us. There are so many options that don’t have infestations.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 6:54 pm
sounds easy enough! for this "easy' recipe how many grams of starter, water and flour do you use? what brand flour?

Makes two loaves
650g water
100-300g starter I don’t calculate or measure how much my starter is very active and old
1000g bread/ap flour
50g oil
40g raw honey or maple syrup
20g salt

I use whole wheat or whole spelt usually. It comes out yummier to me with white because I’m a cake person but for those that like the healthy nutty flavor it comes out very good with whole flours. I buy my flour from azure standard in bulk. More reliable and much more affordable for organic. I buy most of my food there.

amother
Starflower

Post Tue, Oct 03 2023, 6:55 pm
your house has enough space in lakewood for you to be raising chickens?
can I ask what circles you and your dh are from?

also just saw you posted the recipe. what kind and brand of oil do you use?
Page 1 of 22   1  2  3  20  21  22  Next Recent Topics