Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
I don't want to be around my daughter

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 5:45 pm
She's 10 and there is something going on with her for over a year already but we can't get an evaluation for a few more months. Something small will set her off and she has explosive behavior and nothing calms her down for a long time. Then suddenly she'll be fine and walk around completely normal as though nothing happened. When she gets into these modes she'll scream, throws things, hurts her siblings, it's like she's possessed. If I leave the room, she follows me. If I close a door, she'll bang on it. If I'm sitting at a table, she'll push it. If I'm sitting in a chair, she'll kick it. I get triggered by her now even when she's in her calm stages and I just do not want to be around her. The second I see she's starting to slip into that other awful mode, I snap and lash out first. We've tried to be calm and speak lovingly, or hug her even when she's hitting us and pushing us away, but I just can't take it anymore. I have no patience for her and I've started to lose my cool and get physical back with her to get her to sit down or leave her sibling alone.

Has anyone ever been through this and can tell me there's hope? I don't even want her in the house most days.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 5:48 pm
It sounds like you would benefit from help and support with parenting her. This is so sad.

amother
Mocha

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 5:49 pm
I sometimes feel the same about my 11 yo daughter.

Its really hard.
Sorry no advice.

My daughter also changes her moods.
People say she is so mature but she can flip in a second at home.

She cries at the drop of the hat.
Tantrums when things dont go her way etc.

amother
Stone

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 5:49 pm
My DD is similar but not as extreme. She was always like this so it’s not something new like pandas or Lyme. She’s highly sensitive and high strung and I often walk on eggshells around her.
Hugs!

Highstrung

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 5:55 pm
My 5 yr old DD is like this and it’s very very difficult.
She started at age 2 and it just gotten worse . At that time the therapist in her pediatrician’s office advised me to regulate my own emotions first before addressing her. Even if it means locking yourself in your bathroom or another room for a while. She herself has trouble regulating her emotions and she is highly sensitive. Both DH and I and the kids have a very hard time when she flies off the handle like that . She beats everyone up, throws and breaks things , curses and calls us every name in the book. If I try to give her a consequence or punishment for this behavior she just behaves worse . Once she calms down it’s like a switch turned off and she’s angelic and adorable again. It’s super hard to deal with and I understand the struggle

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 6:28 pm
My kid started doing this at age 4 and it was pandas. Thats all I can meaningfully contribute to this conversation. May not be pandas for you ofc

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 6:31 pm
I hate to be the one to say it and I'm only going to anyway because someone on this site did the favor of telling me. It's pandas. There, I said it. Yes, even if she was always more high strung, intense, and sensitive.
You can give Motrin every 6 hours around the clock and benadryl once a day before bed. If you see improvement in behaviors from this then you'll know it's definitely pandas.
Best of luck!

amother
IndianRed

Post Wed, Oct 04 2023, 7:28 pm
Pandas, pans or Lyme, ESPECIALLY since you say she changed a year ago.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children