Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Best therapy for ADHD

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 8:07 am
Whays the best therapy to deal with ADHD? I have some children (1 young, 1 middle school) with ADHD. The older one is on meds, the younger one not, although I suspect we will start her soon. The older one was working with a social worker for a while on strategies but I really did not see much improvement. Should we be trying a different type of therapy?

Also is there anything we can do as parents to understand our children's brain wiring better (aside from reading about it - classes, therapy, etx would be better options for us)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 11:14 pm
bump

amother
Glitter

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 11:27 pm
I may not be the best to respond but for my kid 1-my own behavior and being able to stay calm 2-being able to get my child the school support they needed 3-getting them the medication they needed 4-trying alternative things to help them

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 06 2023, 12:44 am
amother Glitter wrote:
I may not be the best to respond but for my kid 1-my own behavior and being able to stay calm 2-being able to get my child the school support they needed 3-getting them the medication they needed 4-trying alternative things to help them

what types of alternative th9ngs? can u pls elaborate?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 12 2023, 6:48 am
bump

STMommy

Post Thu, Oct 12 2023, 7:33 am
There is a lot of research that the best treatment for ADHD is a combination of medication and behavioral therapy. I suggest you try to find a BCBA that does private

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Oct 12 2023, 10:24 am
there are adhd coaches that can help you as a parent to help your child
and to help you understand your child brain

it doesn't take away the adhd but it does help

(and I am very pro ritalin as it makes a big difference)
I'm a mother of a number of adhd children of all ages

mha3484

Post Thu, Oct 12 2023, 10:27 am
I like the approach from the book the explosive child. He has an assesment you fill out call the ALSUP Assessment of Lagging Skills and Unsolved Problems. I found once I filled it out, I was able to see what exactly my kids were having a hard time with and found a talk therapist who could work on those issues. One kid was social skills, one has a very low frustration tolerance.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Oct 12 2023, 10:27 am
amother Saddlebrown wrote:
there are adhd coaches that can help you as a parent to help your child
and to help you understand your child brain

it doesn't take away the adhd but it does help

(and I am very pro ritalin as it makes a big difference)
I'm a mother of a number of adhd children of all ages

Where does one find a coach?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Oct 12 2023, 10:42 am
I’ve found therapy didn’t help at all with the actual adhd. If a kid struggles with social issues or with self esteem as a result of adhd then yes but in terms of actual symptoms like distractibility and impulsivity etc I saw no benefit

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Oct 12 2023, 1:29 pm
you have to ask around in your area

or you can work with someone online/whatsapp
I would recommend iloveadhd.com

amother
NeonYellow

Post Thu, Oct 12 2023, 1:43 pm
Each child is different. My son has inattentive and needs a seit /tutor in math and reading. His curriculum is modified because he cannot go as quickly as the other children but knows the material. He often gets overwhelmed when he sees a lot on the page. My other child has combined and needs medication. Both get help socially but it's a long and hard process because it doesn't come naturally, every skill must be taught. Both have counseling in school once a week which helps a lot. Many kids with adhd also need occupational therapy and others. A full assessment is needed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)