Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Cutting meat against the grain

newbie613

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 2:11 pm
I never know how to cut the meat. I clearly see the direction of the meat but it’s always the width of the meat, not length. So cutting again the grain means I’m cutting long slices and not many because it’s always longer rather than wider. Does this make sense?

watergirl

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 2:14 pm
newbie613 wrote:
I never know how to cut the meat. I clearly see the direction of the meat but it’s always the width of the meat, not length. So cutting again the grain means I’m cutting long slices and not many because it’s always longer rather than wider. Does this make sense?

yes. You still need to cut against the grain even if it's means longer, fewer slices. Just slice the really long slices into thirds.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 2:21 pm
Look at the direction of the grains/veins on the outside of the meat. Make sure to cut opposite. When the first slice has been cut, check to see that there are little round circles of meat with fat around them, instead the slice looking like long strings of meat in the direction of the cut (this way will give you very dry meat).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=.....W4%3D

Do you see the little circles/triangles of meat in each slice in the picture of the slices that were cut against the grain? It's like little pockets of meat.
https://www.thekitchn.com/here.....15798

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, Oct 05 2023, 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

newbie613

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 2:31 pm
watergirl wrote:
yes. You still need to cut against the grain even if it's means longer, fewer slices. Just slice the really long slices into thirds.
ok, I thought I was doing it wrong because other people have smaller slices but maybe they’re just slicing them in half.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 2:32 pm
newbie613 wrote:
ok, I thought I was doing it wrong because other people have smaller slices but maybe they’re just slicing them in half.

The length of slices, whether they are long and thin or round, all has to do with the type of roast they cooked (which part of the animal).
I don't slice them in half like that video showed. I'd rather full slices even if they are very long.

newbie613

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 2:38 pm
ra_mom wrote:
The length of slices, whether they are long and thin or round, all has to do with the type of roast they cooked (which part of the animal).
I don't slice them in half like that video showed. I'd rather full slices even if they are very long.
they ended up falling apart anyway. Thanks for the link, I will study it.

jflower

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 4:20 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Look at the direction of the grains/veins on the outside of the meat. Make sure to cut opposite. When the first slice has been cut, check to see that there are little round circles of meat with fat around them, instead the slice looking like long strings of meat in the direction of the cut (this was will give you very dry meat).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=.....W4%3D

Do you see the little cirles/triangles of meat in each slice in the picture of the slices that were cut against the grain? It's like little pockets of meat.
https://www.thekitchn.com/here.....15798

Ra_mom, this was so helpful. Thanks for posting.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 5:14 pm
Glad it helps!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics