Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps
Sleepaway camp and picky eaters

girlmom24

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 1:27 pm
Dd in 6th grade wants to go next summer for the first time.

What did you do for your picky eater at sleepaway camp? How much will the camps work with you?

If you have any info about a specific by camp and prefer to pm please do. TIA!

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 1:30 pm
I would think it would be a good learning experience for the kid, to eat what's available. I would not expect a camp to work with a kid that's a picky eater. If a sleepaway aged kid is that picky that the camp needs to work with it, then I don't think they're ready for sleepaway camp.
OTOH, sending a picky kid to sleep away camp where they'll have to learn to manage, may nip the issue.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 1:35 pm
They’ll come back not picky LOL

amother
Freesia

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 1:36 pm
or they'll spend all summer eating junk. You have to know your kid.

amother
Steel

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 1:43 pm
They eat a lot of snacks and get food from the canteen if they’ll eat what they have there. DD’s good friend survives on cereal, pretzels and french fries from the canteen.
I’m not sure what you mean by the camp working with you. What accommodations are you looking for? There are camps that have allergy rooms/kitchens but I doubt they want to start with allowing the picky kids to make their own food there. This is for the kids that medically can’t eat what the camp provides.
I have one kid that’s extremely picky and I won’t send them until they’re willing to live on what the camp provides, a reasonable canteen budget and whatever we can fit in the junk box. I’m not starting with finding rides for meals they like.

Ilana Tamar

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 1:53 pm
My picky eaters survive on canteen food and tradition soups. The camp I myself went to had bread and spreads available at every meal as an alternative and I had toast and margarine quite often, sometimes for three meals in one day.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Oct 05 2023, 2:28 pm
You have to know your kid. Does your kid have a problem gaining weight or have other nutritional concerns? That could be very problematic and potentially dangerous in a camp setting. I think that most regular picky eaters will feel hungry and figure it out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps