Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Do you keep 2 days yom tov while visiting

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 09 2023, 12:18 pm
From certain posts it seems like some people visiting Israel only keep 1 day yom tov, and I. Was wondering if that’s the case.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Oct 09 2023, 12:19 pm
Yes some people only keep one day while they're in Israel. Just as some Israelis visiting America keep 2 days

amother
Hunter

Post Mon, Oct 09 2023, 12:21 pm
My father's rebbe says if the whole family is there together then you keep 1 day since you have now made Israel your makom.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Oct 09 2023, 12:22 pm
Everyone has to ask their own Rav. We were told that there's no heter to keep just 1 day if we don't live in Israel.
I know others were told, according to specific guidelines, that they may keep 1 day.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Oct 09 2023, 12:23 pm
amother Goldenrod wrote:
Yes some people only keep one day while they're in Israel. Just as some Israelis visiting America keep 2 days

Israeli'a visiting chutz l'aretz for sukkos, must put on tefillin the 2nd day yom tov & may not publicly do melacha because of mares ayin.

mha3484

Post Mon, Oct 09 2023, 12:24 pm
I had a boss many years ago who kept one day but she owned property in E"Y and spent the whole shalosh regalim there so she was told she can keep one day.

doodlesmom

Post Mon, Oct 09 2023, 12:52 pm
Funny that I would never want to give up a day of yom tov! But I guess it’s hard to be the only one.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Oct 09 2023, 12:53 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I had a boss many years ago who kept one day but she owned property in E"Y and spent the whole shalosh regalim there so she was told she can keep one day.

My friends IL do the same. It worked in their favor bec they were able to make arrangements for themselves and family that was in EY keeping 2 days, to fly back to the US.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Oct 09 2023, 1:17 pm
We come for the Shalosh Regalim. Honestly happy we keep one day now… Hiding

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Oct 09 2023, 2:48 pm
amother Slateblue wrote:
We come for the Shalosh Regalim. Honestly happy we keep one day now… Hiding

The determining factor for keeping 1 day is if you come for shalosh regalim? For how many years do you have to do this, or after 3 yomim tovim you start?
(Asking bec we’ll be here for all 3 starting this Pesach)

amother
Poinsettia

Post Mon, Oct 09 2023, 3:16 pm
We were in Israel for Pesach and we kept the day and a half psak as per our rav. It's not really a day and a half, but it feels very strange. You essentially act like it's chol with dress and davening and no seuda or any of the positive mitzvot of the chag, but you can't do any melacha or lavim. However you can ask a Jew to do things for you, like press elevator buttons. You can also be driven someplace in a car as long as you don't open and close car doors for yourself or set off any sensors like for seatbelts or airbags. It can be difficult to remember everything so you have to be extra cautious.

mha3484

Post Mon, Oct 09 2023, 3:51 pm
amother Seagreen wrote:
The determining factor for keeping 1 day is if you come for shalosh regalim? For how many years do you have to do this, or after 3 yomim tovim you start?
(Asking bec we’ll be here for all 3 starting this Pesach)

I think for my boss the psak came from a sense of permanence. She was not just a tourist once she owned a home in E"Y and came for all the yomtovim. You have to ask your own shaaila.

amother
Mayflower

Post Mon, Oct 09 2023, 3:55 pm
Chabad holds only one day in Israel, 2 days outside Israel. I have never actually been to Israel for any chagim, but when my dd was in seminary that is what she did. But then, chabad people in Israel also do hakofot shniya since they love dancing so much!! (and they feel fomo that they don't get to do gebrokts)

Makes the most sense to me. Surely 2000 years ago a person who travelled from Jerusalem to Bavel would keep 2 days, and vice versa...

amother
Mayflower

Post Mon, Oct 09 2023, 3:57 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I think for my boss the psak came from a sense of permanence. She was not just a tourist once she owned a home in E"Y and came for all the yomtovim. You have to ask your own shaaila.

So a rich person who leaves an empty apartment in Jerusalem most of the year keeps only one day. Poorer people who spend their life savings on a once a lifetime trip keep 2.

Great way to encourage the already existing property crises.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Mon, Oct 09 2023, 5:26 pm
My single son is there and kept 2 days

doodlesmom

Post Mon, Oct 09 2023, 6:05 pm
amother Mayflower wrote:
So a rich person who leaves an empty apartment in Jerusalem most of the year keeps only one day. Poorer people who spend their life savings on a once a lifetime trip keep 2.

Great way to encourage the already existing property crises.

Again keeping 2 is a privilege to me…

essie14

Post Tue, Oct 10 2023, 8:19 am
Most people I know keep 1 day.
Our Rabbi here holds that if one has parents or children living here, they keep 1 day. So most visitors to our community keep 1 day.
Everyone that I know who owns property here keeps 1 day when they're here.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Tue, Oct 10 2023, 8:22 am
We follow the psak that we keep one day only if we are here are 3 regalim. Unfortunately it's not consistent yet for us, so we do 2 days. Some of my family keeps one day based on a different psak.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics