Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Pareve soup no tomatoes

N'sMom

Post Mon, Oct 09 2023, 3:00 pm
I just found out I am allergic to tomatoes - just in time for soup season. Can you share pareve soup recipes that don't co tain tomatoes? (No cubes or soup powder either.)

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Oct 09 2023, 3:04 pm
Saute onions and garlic. Add any vegetable of your liking or combination of veggies. Cover with water, add seasonings of choice, and cook until vegetables are soft. Use immersion blender to puree. You don't need a recipe. Just keep tasting and seasoning until you like it.

cholentfan1

Post Mon, Oct 09 2023, 3:06 pm
Any vegetable soup. Put whatever vegetables you want in the pot and cook. Suggestions can be butternut squash soup, mushroom soup, potato and leek soup, onion soup, barley soup, pea soup.
I don't usually follow any specific recipe-it's just whatever vegetables I have in the house-I peel and cut them up and cook.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 09 2023, 3:41 pm
What type of soups do you like, pureed?

Amarante

Post Mon, Oct 09 2023, 4:21 pm
Pumpkin Bisque with Curry and Pear

Makes 4–6 servings.

Excerpt From: Ronnie Fein - Hip Kosher

This is one of my favorite soups. The coconut milk makes it rich, thick, and sweet, and tempers the spicy curry and cayenne. I’ve made the soup using soy milk, and it’s tasty that way, too. For a meat meal, use vegetable oil and chicken stock; for a dairy meal use butter and vegetable stock.

2 tablespoons butter or vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 ripe pears, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree
1½ teaspoons curry powder
⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Pinch of ground cinnamon
4 cups vegetable stock or chicken stock
1 cup coconut milk or soy milk
Salt, to taste
2 tablespoons minced fresh chives or ¼ cup toasted coconut

Heat the butter or oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. When the butter has melted and looks foamy or oil is warm, add the onion and cook for 2–3 minutes or until slightly softened. Add the pear chunks, pumpkin puree, curry powder, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, stock, and coconut milk. Mix ingredients thoroughly. Bring to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes. Puree the soup and return it to the pan to heat (or use a hand blender).

Season to taste with salt. Serve sprinkled with chives or toasted coconut.
Make sure you buy canned pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie mix. The mix includes spices, the puree is plain and unseasoned. If you use soy milk, be sure it is plain and unsweetened.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Oct 09 2023, 4:22 pm
N'sMom wrote:
I just found out I am allergic to tomatoes - just in time for soup season. Can you share pareve soup recipes that don't co tain tomatoes? (No cubes or soup powder either.)

Butternut squash soup
Cream of mushroom soup
Sweet potato soup
Cream of cauliflower soup
Cream of broccoli/spinach soup

I will post the recipes later.

Amarante

Post Mon, Oct 09 2023, 4:23 pm
CARROT + APPLE SOUP WITH SAUTÉED MUSHROOMS

Excerpt From: Sebastien Centner - Eatertainment

yield: serves 6–8 · prep time: 15 minutes · cook time: 35 minutes

Ingredients

SOUP

1½ lb heirloom carrots
3 large green apples
1 small yellow onion
2 garlic cloves
¼ cup olive oil
½ tsp ground ginger
6 cups vegetable stock
2 thyme sprigs
Sea salt and black pepper

MUSHROOMS

2 Tbsp olive oil + more for drizzling
2 (each 12 oz) packages sliced mixed mushrooms (cremini, oyster, etc. )
Sea salt
Method

FOR THE SOUP

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Peel and cut the carrots, apples, and onion into approximately 2-inch pieces. Coarsely chop the garlic.
Place the carrots, apple, onion, and garlic on the prepared baking sheet. Add the oil and ginger and toss to coat. Bake until the carrots and onions soften and begin to caramelize, about 20 minutes.

Bring the stock and thyme to a boil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Once the stock is boiling, remove the thyme and add the roasted vegetables. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, until the carrots are soft, about 10 minutes.

FOR THE MUSHROOMS

Heat the oil in a medium skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and stir to coat in the oil. Cook until the mushrooms are dark and crispy, about 5 minutes, then season to taste with salt.

TO FINISH

Remove the soup from the heat, let cool slightly, then transfer to a blender and purée until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. - I use an immersion blender and do it in the pot

Serve with the sautéed mushrooms over top along with a drizzle of oil.

Amarante

Post Mon, Oct 09 2023, 4:26 pm
Butternut Squash and Apple Soup

Source: Ina Garten

2 tablespoons unsalted butter - just use all olive oil or one of the very good vegan butters
2 tablespoons good olive oil
4 cups chopped yellow onions (3 large)
2 tablespoons mild curry powder
5 pounds butternut squash (2 large) - using the prepped squash makes it much simpler if you don't want to spend time but peeling and cutting squash for a soup goes quickly since you don't have to be meticulous about how the chunks look :-)
1 1/2 pounds sweet apples, such as McIntosh (4 apples)
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 cups good apple juice or cider

Warm the butter and olive oil in a large stockpot over low heat. Add the onions and curry powder and cook, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes, until the onions are tender. Stir occasionally, scraping the bottom of the pot.

Peel the squash, cut in half, and remove the seeds. Cut the squash into chunks. Peel, quarter, and core the apples. Cut into chunks.

Add the squash, apples, salt, pepper, and 2 cups of water to the pot. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 30 to 40 minutes, until the squash and apples are very soft. Process the soup through a food mill fitted with a large blade, or puree it coarsely in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade.

Pour the soup back into the pot. Add the apple juice and enough water to make the soup the consistency you like; it should be slightly sweet and quite thick. Check the salt and pepper and serve hot.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Oct 09 2023, 4:41 pm
Always start with carrots, onions and celery.

Add any of the following, chopped:
Zucchini
Butternut squash
Cilantro
Mushrooms
Potatoes
Sweet potatoes
Parsnip
Celery root
Beetroot

If you want, also choose from the following, adding at the right time to cook enough, but not too much;
Brown rice
Barley
Lentils
Pasta
Ravioli
Bulgur

Add salt, pepper, lemon juice, sugar or hot sauce to taste.
I don't usually saute anything. Just throw it in the pot and cover with an inch of water.
Blend it if desired. Or just blend some.
Top with croutons, cheese, oyster crackers, french fried onions or some sour cream.

cbg

Post Mon, Oct 09 2023, 8:34 pm
Lentil soup
Sautée onion, celery, carrots
Add lentils water salt, celery salt
Cook - I just put it on low and every once in a while give it a stir

tweety1

Post Mon, Oct 09 2023, 10:14 pm
Squash-potato soup. Sautee onion/garlic. Cube squash and potatoes into bug chunks. Leave some squah unpeeled. Cover with water. Cook for about 1-2 hours. Blend.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Mon, Oct 09 2023, 10:17 pm
Mushroom barley soup

way2go

Post Mon, Oct 09 2023, 10:19 pm
Zucchini soup
Sautee onions in little oil and salt. Add cubed zucchini (unpeeled), cauliflower, water to cover and salt. Cook till soft and blend
Can add some garlic if you prefer

eduardo

Post Mon, Oct 09 2023, 10:21 pm
Are you allergic to anything tomato?

The people I know with tomato allergies are fine if the tomatoes have been cooked

tweety1

Post Mon, Oct 09 2023, 10:51 pm
N'sMom wrote:

I'm curious, only tomatoes or all nightshade vegetables? My mother is to all nightshade vegetables that's why I'm asking

N'sMom

Post Tue, Oct 10 2023, 10:32 am
tweety1 wrote:
I'm curious, only tomatoes or all nightshade vegetables? My mother is to all nightshade vegetables that's why I'm asking

All nightshades. I only mentioned tomatoes because they're critical to so many of my soups.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Oct 10 2023, 7:22 pm
Just made the non dairy delicious soup from Peas and Carrots

Saute a miripoix of onions, carrots, and celery with salt and pepper. Add a bit of flour and garlic powder. Add chunked potatoes, mini cauliflower and green beans and a bit more salt with water (10 C for 5 potatoes, one onion, 3 carrots, 2 stalks celery, 2 C cauliflower, handful of green beans)

Simmer for an hour

dena613

Post Tue, Oct 10 2023, 7:27 pm
Onions, zucchini, carrots, a yam or squash
chopped and put in pot

1-2 c red lentils, rinsed and put in pot

Add water

Add salt, garlic powder, pepper to taste.

Boil 45 min.

Blend with immersion blender

tweety1

Post Tue, Oct 10 2023, 8:45 pm
N'sMom wrote:
All nightshades. I only mentioned tomatoes because they're critical to so many of my soups.

OK so the soup I posted is a no no too. You might be able to tolerate red potatoes. Maybe look into it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics