Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Getting my kids to sit down for supper

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 10 2023, 10:00 pm
Can anyone advise how to get my kids to sit down in one place at one time to eat supper?

Maybe it has to do with the fact that I have ADHD, but they are running around between bites and totally not focused on the fact that it may be time to eat now. Which ends up with them frequently going to bed hungry bc they didn’t eat enough supper.

I tell them supper is ending soon and I will be clearing up and there will be no more chances of eating but that still doesn’t get them to sit down and eat without getting up and doing other things in between.

Ages 9-2 with a few in between 😁
Open to any tips and tricks…

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, Oct 10 2023, 10:27 pm
Are you and/or dh sitting down to eat with them? I find that my kids eat more and will sit for longer when we're able to have a family dinner. We talk about our days, joke, and just have a fun time together. If someone leaves the table or stops eating, I ask them "Are you finished?" I'm fine if the answer is yes, but if it's no, I ask them to stay at the table until they are.

Does everyone eat the same food? Do some kids need to wait for it to be cooled off? I find that when we all sit down together and everyone's food is ready at the same time, it's easier. So if my two year old's dinner needs to be cooled off, I'll take it out a few minutes before dinner so that I can call everyone to the table at once.

HTH!

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, Oct 12 2023, 9:58 pm
for age 3 through 9 I'd remind them to make their after brocha and ask permission before leaving the table. Even a 3 year old can work on that. For age 2, I'd keep a booster seatbelt on them and when they start throwing the food, you know it's over. Smile

It took us years but we got to the point that every family member took turns talking about their day during dinner. Asking questions of other family members, making jokes..... if we're all talking and participating and not so focused on who is eating what and I don't like this vegetable and why can't we bring in food from a restaurant tomorrow and blah blah----- it's easier--- take the focus OFF the food and it gets eaten. Also you might want to give jobs---- one kid sets the table, one kid clears, one kid helps the 2 year old, one kid pours drinks, etc. You can't be off playing with legos when your job needs to be done.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics