Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
2 month old using me as pacifier
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 13 2023, 2:11 am
amother Pumpkin wrote:
See bolded. How do you know that?

His growth is consistently following the trajectory for his percentile. He is pleasantly plump. And he seems satisfied when he pops himself off after nursing and is generally cheerful after a good feeding.

mushkamothers

Post Fri, Oct 13 2023, 2:31 am
amother OP wrote:
I had him evaluated for tongue tie because he didn't nurse well at first and it seemed conclusively he didn't have it. He moves his tongue around fine.

He'll suck on a finger for a few seconds and then get annoyed to find out it isn't a breast.

Isn't cluster feeding and such supposed to be temporary? This feels like an always problem that's getting worse instead of better.

Since I started noticing how draining this is, I've been trying to encourage other ways of soothing and it sometimes works but it's still so hard and only calms him down for a little time before he starts whining to nurse again.

Who evaluated him

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 13 2023, 2:33 am
My very experienced and with-it pediatrician.
But I also had a lactation consultant take a look.
And I looked myself though I don't have as much experience as the others but I have the basic idea of what it's about.
Also he seems to demonstrate a full range of motion in his tongue. He moves it upward and sticks it out fine.
He just has no symptoms of tongue tie as far as I can tell.

shaqued_almond

Post Fri, Oct 13 2023, 8:23 am
amother OP wrote:

Isn't cluster feeding and such supposed to be temporary? This feels like an always problem that's getting worse instead of better.

You wrote in another comment that he's plump. From experience some babies clusterfeed more than others, especially if they're bigger because they need more calories.

My little one only became easier when she turned 6 months but even now it can be difficult. Breastfeeding is a job. I find that by their first birthday they get easier.

girlmom24

Post Fri, Oct 13 2023, 10:41 am
It may be worth going for another opinion as posterior tongue ties are often missed.
The ninni pacifier worked for us.
I second the ima who mentioned baby wearing. You can try baby wearing and the first few minutes holding in the paci while you bounce up and down to get them settled.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Fri, Oct 13 2023, 10:47 am
Did you try baby wearing? It provides the kid the closeness while leaving your hands free.

If the soothie worked a bit you might also want to try the jollypop.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 13 2023, 3:14 pm
Thanks, I will look up ninni and jollypop.

I have been trying babywearing and it's kind of hit or miss. Sometimes he goes for it and sometimes very much not. It seems like he used to go for it more and now less so. Like the pacis... he's getting more picky as he grows up Sad

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Oct 13 2023, 3:30 pm
No suggestions but just wanted to post that I feel for you OP.

Nursing is really lovely, and it would be a wonderful dream to lie in bed nursing my baby round the clock, as much as he wanted.

Unfortunately, (or maybe fortunately!), I have a life and other kids and a job, and while I love the baby dearly, and would love to just hold and nurse him as much as possible, I cannot be attached to him all day. Its so so so draining.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics