Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
Lakewood Seminaries - Specifically Not for Academic Girls
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 10:53 am
Are there any Lakewood seminaries that are geared for a strongly yeshivish girl who is not academic? And if so, does it have a dorm for out of towners?
Thank you!

amother
Cornsilk

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 11:01 am
amother OP wrote:
Are there any Lakewood seminaries that are geared for a strongly yeshivish girl who is not academic? And if so, does it have a dorm for out of towners?
Thank you!

Bnos Chaim in Lakewood has a great dorm.

They are not academic at all. Classes are very Hashkafic based with hardly any textual learning. They also barely give assignment or reports.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 11:36 am
That actually sounds perfect - is it considered hard to get into for out of towners?

amother
Seablue

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 11:44 am
amother Cornsilk wrote:
Bnos Chaim in Lakewood has a great dorm.

They are not academic at all. Classes are very Hashkafic based with hardly any textual learning. They also barely give assignment or reports.
Bnos chaim is a great seminary. I heard that they did become academic and hard to get in

Cressel

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 11:47 am
amother Seablue wrote:
bnos chaim is a great seminary. I heard that they did become academic and hard to get in

You have to be academic in order to get in, but once you actually are there, they aren't academic at all.

I know 6 people who sent.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 11:52 am
amother Seablue wrote:
Bnos chaim is a great seminary. I heard that they did become academic and hard to get in

The people I know that went there, were there last year or the year before;
they all said it's not academic and that the teachers there don't believe that academics are what matters. They also said the entire year they only have one report assigned and they never had a major test.

They can get a little selective with who they take but it's not exactly "hard" to get in.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 11:59 am
amother OP wrote:
That actually sounds perfect - is it considered hard to get into for out of towners?

I think it's easier for out of towners to get in then Lakewood girls since they want the mix

amother
Glitter

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 12:03 pm
You guys have dated info. Bnos Chaim has gotten more academic over time and much harder to get into. I heard they turned down 90% off applicants last year and they are much more academic and textual. People who are looking for yeshivish but less academic have been applying to a new seminary that opened this year called Kerem. Migdal is another seminary in Lakewood that’s academic but it is less yeshivish than Bnos Chaim and Kerem.

So recap, but please note this is all relative and I’m sure all three are great places:

Bnos Chaim- Yeshivish, academic, harder to get in, open more than a decade
Migdal- Slightly less yeshivish, academic, hard to get in, open a couple of years
Kerem- Slightly more yeshivish, less academic, easier to get in, this is the first year

amother
Bluebell

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 12:07 pm
amother Glitter wrote:
You guys have dated info. Bnos Chaim has gotten more academic over time and much harder to get into. I heard they turned down 90% off applicants last year and they are much more academic and textual. People who are looking for yeshivish but less academic have been applying to a new seminary that opened this year called Kerem. Migdal is another seminary in Lakewood that’s academic but it is less yeshivish than Bnos Chaim and Kerem.

So recap, but please note this is all relative and I’m sure all three are great places:

Bnos Chaim- Yeshivish, academic, harder to get in, open more than a decade
Migdal- Slightly less yeshivish, academic, hard to get in, open a couple of years
Kerem- Slightly more yeshivish, less academic, easier to get in, this is the first year

Yes I have heard that Bnos Chaim got very selective over the last few years and also became academic. They say it’s similar academically to Chemdas, Tehilas, Nishmas, etc.

It’s just math, there are probably a lot more girls looking to stay in Lakewood these days. We need more seminaries! Why shouldn’t girls who aren’t looking for academic have a warm yeshivish option too?

Cressel

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 12:10 pm
There is a great half-day non-academic seminary in Lakewood called "Tiferes Sara"

But would have to board with a family since they don't have a dorm

amother
Glitter

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 12:18 pm
amother Bluebell wrote:
Yes I have heard that Bnos Chaim got very selective over the last few years and also became academic. They say it’s similar academically to Chemdas, Tehilas, Nishmas, etc.

It’s just math, there are probably a lot more girls looking to stay in Lakewood these days. We need more seminaries! Why shouldn’t girls who aren’t looking for academic have a warm yeshivish option too?

Agreed, there need to be more seminaries that are geared for non academic. Bnos Chaim was like that when they first opened like 15 years ago.

amother
PlumPink

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 12:45 pm
Cressel wrote:
There is a great half-day non-academic seminary in Lakewood called "Tiferes Sara"

what type of crowd? yeshivish?

Cressel

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 12:50 pm
amother PlumPink wrote:
what type of crowd? yeshivish?

Yeshivish, not academic. Some more chilled girls but all Yeshivish

amother
PlumPink

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 2:21 pm
Cressel wrote:
Yeshivish, not academic. Some more chilled girls but all Yeshivish
thanks!

amother
Cornsilk

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 7:07 pm
There is also a seminary in Lakewood called "Lakewood halfday"

But I'm not sure about the academic status of Lakewood halfday.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 7:10 pm
My niece went to Wings 1\2 day place defiantly not academic

Cressel

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 12:14 am
amother Wine wrote:
My niece went to Wings 1\2 day place defiantly not academic

I've never heard of that place. That's a seminary? Where is it located?

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 8:11 am
Cressel wrote:
I've never heard of that place. That's a seminary? Where is it located?

I don't know if they are doing it this year.
In the Wings building they had or have a seminary for the morning.

amother
Whitewash

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 8:15 am
Cressel wrote:

How do the girls keep busy the rest of the day?
Do you know which high schools the girls are coming from?

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 4:33 pm
amother Whitewash wrote:
How do the girls keep busy the rest of the day?
Do you know which high schools the girls are coming from?

They usually have jobs or are in collage.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info